Free Member
Sep 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Self build Transit
Exp
Since 2018
Hello everyone,

I've just found this forum so I thought I would introduce myself. My name is Neil, and I am using a self build Transit (hence the name lol)

I use my van mainly when I'm not working to get away and do some sea fishing. Most of the time, it's just me, but we also occasionally use it for family trips with a drive away awning. When I'm on my own, I stealth camp.

Work is still in progress, and I am always looking for ways to improve things.

Hoping to learn new stuff on here, and maybe share what I have done. I am out of action at the moment with a busted foot, so I'm researching right now. Hope to be back in action in a few weeks. Neil.

Feb 6, 2014
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer BC584 Classic
Exp
Since 2011
1599567240292.gif

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Hi if it’s a hightop put a solar panel in the middle of the roof you won’t be able to see it.

OP
OP
T

Transit Neil

Free Member
Sep 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Self build Transit
Exp
Since 2018
Hi if it’s a hightop put a solar panel in the middle of the roof you won’t be able to see it.

Thanks for the reply, I have one of those flexi panels on there, it's only 50W as I thought I was only going to be charging phones and tablets, and running a few lights. However, now I have purchased a 12v fridge, so I am looking to upgrade my solar and buy another battery. I am thinking of the fold up panels that you can place outside, to have the best of both worlds. But I'm not sure what would be the best way of wiring it up. Will I be able to just connect these up with the crocodile clips to boost up the power when needed? With the roof panel still working, or would having 2 power supplies going to the battery overload it in some way?

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
welcome to the house of fun ..

have you had a look over youtube, there are lots of videos about solar panels and self build vans. Gregg Virgo's self build is really professional (ive seen it in real life in Colchester) and the detail he goes into on the videos show why it looks so good.

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Two solar controllers should work together although they might do the different charge stages at different times.
You could use an Andersen connector to make connecting easier.

Feb 21, 2021
Funster No
MH
Ford Nobel art A8800
Hello and Welcome! :)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
The OP was in Sept last year .... And he hasn't been back since December, shame he didn't join as I'm sure it would have been worth it for the advice/info he could have gained.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back