LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
At one time of my life, I was a barmaid in the Zoo Club (private members club further up Castle Hill than the Zoo entrance) Later worked at an insurance brokers in a multi storey office block kind of across the road from the rear entrance to Beatties for a few months. It was a right dump in the town anyway by that stage - a shadow of its former self in my childhood in West Brom! I'd have to set the SatNav to even find the Black Country museum, these days. Is the landmark of the Roman Mosaic Company even there now?

I remember Ma Pardoes home brew. And Desperate Dan pies ........ :giggle: and the Crooked House (aka the Glynne Arms) from my courting days in the late 1960s - well before they tarted it up!
Roman Mosaic has gone and so has Burnt Tree Island!

Wyn

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Roman Mosaic has gone and so has Burnt Tree Island!

Wyn
Gordon Bennett, Wyn, can't leave anything alone, can they! A few years back went to my friend's mom's funeral in West Brom where she'd lived in an old people's home built on where my dad's allotment was when we were kids, the entrance to which was more or less opposite the end of our street - and they hadn't moved the Crem - so obviously didn't use the SatNag.

That was a mistake! - involved driving from the Crem to the old people's home where friend had provided a buffet and liquid refreshments so obviously I knew the way didn't I - oh dear - only got lost! Suddenly recognised a pub sign and re-orientated myself. Hadn't seen friend's bro for decades but recognised him so said Hello Steve, and he said he remembered my face, was I Pheas? (another friend, both of us generally known by the gang by shortened forms of our surnames as we had several Jennifers and Sues in our year at school - 2 of each in the actual posse) - so I laughed and said No - I'm Sedge, but Pheas is here, where is she etc ..... LOL

Does anyone remember the cinema/theatre at the bottom of Castle Hill - when I was little went there to see 'The King & I' staged by Dudley Operatic Society - lots of little girls I went to school with who went to ballet lessons were roped in as some of the children, but could only do X number of performances and all strictly chaperoned.

Later also saw Herman's Hermits and The Walker Brothers on stage there too.

The Plaza, was it?

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Gordon Bennett, Wyn, can't leave anything alone, can they! A few years back went to my friend's mom's funeral in West Brom where she'd lived in an old people's home built on where my dad's allotment was when we were kids, the entrance to which was more or less opposite the end of our street - and they hadn't moved the Crem - so obviously didn't use the SatNag.

That was a mistake! - involved driving from the Crem to the old people's home where friend had provided a buffet and liquid refreshments so obviously I knew the way didn't I - oh dear - only got lost! Suddenly recognised a pub sign and re-orientated myself. Hadn't seen friend's bro for decades but recognised him so said Hello Steve, and he said he remembered my face, was I Pheas? (another friend, both of us generally known by the gang by shortened forms of our surnames as we had several Jennifers and Sues in our year at school - 2 of each in the actual posse) - so I laughed and said No - I'm Sedge, but Pheas is here, where is she etc ..... LOL

Does anyone remember the cinema/theatre at the bottom of Castle Hill - when I was little went there to see 'The King & I' staged by Dudley Operatic Society - lots of little girls I went to school with who went to ballet lessons were roped in as some of the children, but could only do X number of performances and all strictly chaperoned.

Later also saw Herman's Hermits and The Walker Brothers on stage there too.

The Plaza, was it?
The Plaza was a cinema (now bingo hall) but Hippodrome was theatre next door. It's been closed for years and they want to demolish it but a group are fighting to save the iconic venue.

Wyn

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back