Hello from Derry (1 Viewer)

Sep 1, 2021
Derry
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme
Exp
Hello all. We’ve been browsing this forum for a while as we have been researching for the purchase of our first motorhome. It has been very helpful and informative so we decided it is about time we joined! Caravanned throughout Ireland, England and France and always promised ourselves we would buy a motorhome when we retired. That day has now come!

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
w2f

I'm on the ferry to Larne next week and doing some of the WAW so I'll be passing Derry. Not been able to find out much about Derry, is it worth a visit ? I worked there for a couple of days about 15 years ago but can't remember much except the gable murials and city walls and just trying to decide if we visit. Is there any moho parking you can recommend ?
Oh, and the painted kerbs on entrances to residential estates to identify religion, all very strange to an Englishman

Last edited:

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
We’ve just visited Derry - just a day visit, although we could probably have overnighted where we parked, which was Queens Quay. We did a very interesting walking tour of Bogside etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Family Matters Hello GIF

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
:hi2::WelcomeFlag:

jp11

Free Member
Aug 15, 2021
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Minibus conversion
Hello Hector. We'd be neighbours then. I've done all those things as well, and at 71 now have a self-build campervan.

OP
OP
H
Sep 1, 2021
Derry
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme
Exp
w2f

I'm on the ferry to Larne next week and doing some of the WAW so I'll be passing Derry. Not been able to find out much about Derry, is it worth a visit ? I worked there for a couple of days about 15 years ago but can't remember much except the gable murials and city walls and just trying to decide if we visit. Is there any moho parking you can recommend ?
Oh, and the painted kerbs on entrances to residential estates to identify religion, all very strange to an Englishman
Described recently as an underrated city by a travel blogger, we agree but then we may be biased!

You mention the walls-Ireland’s only completely intact walled city with guided tours available or a new free app and St Columbs Cathedral with lots of history attached to it.

Re the painted kerbs and murals - you may find the Tower museum,Siege museum and Free Derry museum interesting to understand murals,etc!

Overnight parking at St Columbs Park (Browning Drive) see Park4Night. It’s a nice short walk over Peace Bridge to all the above and Restaurants, cafes.

Useful website for you - VisitDerry.com.

Good starting point for Wild Atlantic Way starting with Inishowen peninsula.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
H
Sep 1, 2021
Derry
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme
Exp
Thank you to everyone for the welcome. Looking forward to getting a van and getting away. Soon!

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
w2f

It's a lovely city and well worth a look round. I think you will be able to spot which area you are In by either the flags flying or the murals.

Sonja

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back