Kerry9

Free Member
Sep 16, 2018
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Motorhome owner
Exp
Rimor Sailer 645 2.7 TC fixed rear bed on Mercedes chassis and engine.
Hello All,

my wife and I have decided to buy a used 2-berth motorhome with fixed bed and seperate shower rather than having to mop everything down before you can use the loo after someone's had a shower. However, such specs seem as rare as rocking horse footprints. We looked at our first ever used motorhome yesterday, a Fiat Ducato Auto Rapido 740F, first registered in 2000 - but the chassis had been welded to get it though its MOT and it still was left with underbody corrosion advisories. So we declined - but the layout was great. Is there a more modern version with same layout but maybe 10-12 years old?

I'm now going through the huge wealth of online ads both private (EBay, Preloved, Gumtree et seq) and we are both attending the Motorhome Show at the NEC next month.

But we have no idea about how to run a motorhome in terms of its onboard electrical, water, gad and heating systems, or whether to buy privately, with no protection, or from a dealer - some, limited warranties, habitation checks etc - but far more expensive.

We have never owned a motorhome or a caravan before so please forgive me if further questions follow.

Many thanks for accepting us on board and we look forward to learning more.

Kerry and Debs

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Hello Kerry,

I think it will be very valuable for you and your wife to go to the NEC. When there you would do well to take note of all the available layouts. Layout is the main reason folk have for selling quickly... I know as we are on our third motorhome! Think through what sort of travelling you'll be doing and where. If you want to take it skiing or use it in winter you'll need a winterised vehicle. Personally I'd buy through a dealer. A motorhome has so many component parts made by many different manufacturers (eg, ovens, heating/lightig system, fridge freezer, solar, etc, etc. Things do go wrong, even with new vehicles, and its important to have good backup. Having said that, its important to choose your dealer well. There's a review section on the forum which gives honest feedback on various dealerships.

Hope this helps

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Kerry9

Kerry9

Free Member
Sep 16, 2018
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Motorhome owner
Exp
Many thanks for your welcoming responses - particularly Southdowners. I agree that the safer bet is to buy from a dealer but we then have to be prepared to pay substantially more than for the same-spec make and model from a private seller. As to use - it would be for weekend escapes and hopping from Plymouth to Roscoff for northern Brittany and Normandy breaks. Certaonly no winter skiiing unless Brixham becomes snowbound :)

Thanks too for the advice regarding the NEC - we will be using it for info-gathering. I'll also see if I cn find on this Forum the dealership reveiws you mentioned.

OP
OP
Kerry9

Kerry9

Free Member
Sep 16, 2018
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Motorhome owner
Exp
...and of course, predictable I suppose - one review on a dealer give a glowing recommendation and less than a year later somebody else on the same dealer cries 'I will never use this dealrer again!'....perhaps we ought to wait until we win the Lottery...?

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I wouldn't be put off buying privately. Presumably the sellers will be able to show you how everything works ie gas and electric etc. It is also fun getting used to everything. Remember to ask for previous habitation check paper work. This will show you if any damp or other damage has been flagged up previously.

It may also be worth trying to find out if any forum members are close by to you. I'm sure people wouldn't mind meeting up and talking you through all the ins and outs of any van you purchase.

OP
OP
Kerry9

Kerry9

Free Member
Sep 16, 2018
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Motorhome owner
Exp
Hi Monzer - great advice. How do I find out if there are any Forum members nearby without breaking GDP Regs? I live in Brixham (near Paignton).

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Hi Monzer - great advice. How do I find out if there are any Forum members nearby without breaking GDP Regs? I live in Brixham (near Paignton).

Good question actually. If you have a nose around you may see someone who has a location on their profile close to you or you could start a new thread on either this forum or the motorhome chat forum asking if anyone is nearby.

OP
OP
Kerry9

Kerry9

Free Member
Sep 16, 2018
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Motorhome owner
Exp
Thank you Janine, much appreciated. i have just seen something for sale in Winchester but I apparently have insufficient priveleges to contact the seller, Mici?

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Hi
Tried starting a conversation re my Dethleffs 7014, but wouldn,t allow me to send. We love the layout full width bathroom, toilet basin and full shower, single beds. If you fancy a weekend up north, or a meet at NEC let me know.
Jim

OP
OP
Kerry9

Kerry9

Free Member
Sep 16, 2018
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Motorhome owner
Exp
I had a look at the Funster map and there are a small number who lovel ocally to me. Most have blue icons and one has a red icon - what does this colour code mean please? I've also just supbscribed via PayPal :)

OP
OP
Kerry9

Kerry9

Free Member
Sep 16, 2018
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Motorhome owner
Exp
I have looked at the Funster map and there are blue and red icons - what is the difference please? I've also just paid my subscription via PayPal :)

OP
OP
Kerry9

Kerry9

Free Member
Sep 16, 2018
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Motorhome owner
Exp
Live locally not love locally - although I'm sure some do....apologies :)

OP
OP
Kerry9

Kerry9

Free Member
Sep 16, 2018
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Motorhome owner
Exp
Hi Jim, thanks for your feedback. Yes, it would be good to meet a freindly advisor at the NEC - sadly I can't PM for some reason?

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
You'll also find that forum members post their vehicles for sale on the forum too.

Perhaps, when you have a good idea of what you would like and a budget figure, you could post another thread asking for help. In the past people have done that and folk here will happily post links to vehicles which may interest you.

OP
OP
Kerry9

Kerry9

Free Member
Sep 16, 2018
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Motorhome owner
Exp
Thanks Southdowners - Mici in Winchester is selling something within our budget although it may be a tad long, but I can't PM him for some reason. We don't want to extend beyond £20k which I know is extremely limiting but it's a budget we must stick to. We are interested in a 2 berth with fixed bed or a seperate shower - nothing over 3500kg or 22 feet long.

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Not too sure what the different colours represent. I also note that I am not on the map for some reason :(

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
IMG_4449.GIF

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I think red means banned member.

Blue is member and green or black is ex member or non subscriber.

Welcome by the way. I recommend lots of trips to dealers to look at lots of vans before you commit.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back