hello from 2 new members and a questi (1 Viewer)

F

freedom1

Deleted User
This looks as if it could be a very helpful web site and some time when I have more time I'd like to log on and have a wander around. However, I came across it because I was getting cross and frustrated with the green lump of metal called a Timberland Freedom sitting on the drive. Before I get to the reason I signed on a bit about us.
Both of us are retired. Travelled a fair bit - usually by air. Just back from Morocco (November) and Thailand February. Nothing planned outside the UK this year with the green machine, although last year year being our first we did venture to Greece for 3 months, and plan for Spain/Portugal next year. However, can I now get to my problem :-

It is probably something simple i/we need to do, but all the batteries (leisure and vehicle) don't seem to hold a charge. All the batteries are under 1 year old. We charged them all last week - today nothing. Yet the computer showed 14v last week.

We have a solar panel and thought it would keep the leisure batteries topped up - but that does not seem to be happening.

Having read the book Timberland gave us we are now trying to charge it with the computer panel on and the leisure battery icon selected. This now shows a 'c' beside the amp reading., for charging, as opposed to the 'd' for discharge. It is all unfamiliar to me though, and it has charged in the past without me selecting either vehicle or leisure. Can anyone tell me what I need to do.

I am afraid Patience is not my middle name, so while my husband is out today I have been 'fiddling'!

Thanks in advance

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Guys, I cannot help with your battery problem as I have no experience of your motorhome, but I can assure you that members here will be able to help, though many are probably away over Easter. I can also welcome you to Motorhome Fun, I am sure you will like it here:thumb:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
It is probably something simple i/we need to do, but all the batteries (leisure and vehicle) don't seem to hold a charge. All the batteries are under 1 year old. We charged them all last week - today nothing. Yet the computer showed 14v last week.

When you say you "charged them" how? and for how long?
If you used a mains supply to the van was it at that time when you noted the voltage?
[/COLOR]

We have a solar panel and thought it would keep the leisure batteries topped up - but that does not seem to be happening.

How big is your solar panel? IE what is the wattage? and what is the wattage of your battery?

Having read the book Timberland gave us we are now trying to charge it with the computer panel on and the leisure battery icon selected. This now shows a 'c' beside the amp reading., for charging, as opposed to the 'd' for discharge. It is all unfamiliar to me though, and it has charged in the past without me selecting either vehicle or leisure. Can anyone tell me what I need to do.

In motor homes you live on your batterys, buy a cheap digital volt meter (about £5 to £7) it is a far better way of measuring voltages.

Thanks in advance

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
Ditto what Doug has said above.

I'm still waiting to buy my first MH but it pretty quickly became clear to me that a solar panel alone will not keep the leisure batteries fully charged unless it's a gigantic size (costing mega bucks) and you like to camp in the middle of the Sahara dessert.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
::bigsmile: This may not be what you want to hear but you may well need to go to Timberland for a lesson on how to work your van :Blush::thumb: or a nearby dealer or friend ?It may well be just a case of a switch turned in the wrong position :winky:
BTW welcome :thumb:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
We have a mate who has owned a van for 2 yrs and after going away with us for a couple of nights he now knows how to switch things over and he has blinds with fly screens on :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: you could not make it up :thumb:
terry

V

vicdicdoc

Deleted User
Is there a 'diode' in the solar panel system ? . . . any panel [I think] over 10w will need one to stop the battery discharging back through the solar panel

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Timberland Freedom

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with your van. I have owned an 2003 Timberland Freedom for nearly 5 years and lived in it whilst touring the UK for a year and to date haven't had a single problem. The van is nearly 6 yrs old and the batteries were a bit worn so I replaced both of them last yr before departing for Spain (Just back) I have never had a problem with charging and have lived off site for quite a few days and the solar panel has given a charge throughout. Best you call Timberland (or see them at a show) and speak to their Chief Engineer, Lee. He is very helpful and I'm sure he will sort your problems out. ( On my first night I wasn't getting a charge due to not doing it properly. One call and he sorted it out for me. It might be that simple!! Keep us informed):thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back