Hello fellow motorhomers! (& LPG connection abroad) (1 Viewer)

Will Robertson

Free Member
May 12, 2017
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
1 month
Hi everyone!

My wife and I recently took the plunge and bought a Dethleffs Advantage...after about a year of wanderlust planning of life on the road! We're currently travelling around Europe for 4 months with our two children (in week 3 already!) and complete newbies so still getting to everything. All very exciting and seems everyday is a new adventure!

One thing, we haven't quite figured out though - and have done quite a bit of reading on it online, but still slightly baffled is switching our gas connectors so can use French propane bottles. Sorry in advance, as I know this is a well discussed topic, but still can't seem to find the answer!

Right, so here goes, my understanding is this...When we bought our motorhome we were told we didn't need to but anything whilst in the UK and could but new hoses/connectors/gas bottles in each respective country..should we wish to. Sounded easy. As we're planning spending most of time in France, between places, we thought we'd take our one Calor uk bottle with us, and in France get parts/bottle so could get French gas whenever needed..

Well, we've been to lots of supermarkets and diy stores, even one motorhome place, and no one has been able to help us unfortunately. I have bought a French propane regulator (see image below) which connects to a French bottle, and removed the original pigtail (male/femail 6.3mm), hoping I could then find an adaptor that would connect to it with the new French regulator..but no joy!

I have also included a pic below of what the wall mounted end looks like, once I removed pipe - of course making sure all was gas turned off.

I've seen some threads mentioning adaptors or new pigtails, but can't see how would work with my setup, plus we're abroad now so can't order stuff from UK easily.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. And sorry again a the rather first long first post! Best, Will

image3.JPG

Attachments

• image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 35

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Unfortunately i don't know the answer to your quandary. I m an lpg man so my response would be get a gasit system fitted and no more troubles, and it will hold its value and save money each time you fill up.

But that wont help you tomorrow. If i were in your predicament i think heading for the nearest motorhome dealer would be on my list of things and using as much pigeon french as possible to point out the issue. I think you may have to buy a container which you then swap.

Good luck. You also may be better posting your enquiry in the "Chat" section for more technically minded than me

OP
OP
Will Robertson

Will Robertson

Free Member
May 12, 2017
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
1 month
Thanks for the response @suavecarve ! Will repost to the chat section see if any luck. Gonna stick with current setup I think for the mo, as hoping should serve our purposes, providing can find bit more direction of what we need. ;-)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:pink:
Download the Truma app, that will give you all the Truma service centres and agents, find one that is also a Motorhome dealer they should have the pigtails you need or be able to get them from Truma in a day or two.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Look out for Narbonne Accesoire, they deal with exactly your problem and can be found in most larger cities using Google.
They carry large stocks of components so should get you on your way in no time. Good luck!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
If you are willing to cut your pigtail, most supermarkets sell gas bottle regulators and many come with an adapter that screws onto the thread on the adapter shown in your picture. The cut end of the hose can then be pushed onto the adapter and secured with a small jubilee type clip
Of course you would probably need a new pigtail when you get back to the UK, but this method would get you out of a fix easily

OP
OP
Will Robertson

Will Robertson

Free Member
May 12, 2017
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
1 month
Thanks all!! Really appreciate the amazing advice. Now feel confident have all the knowledge needed to go forth and adventure. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back