Hello, father of six seeking advice for massive campervan (1 Viewer)

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
View attachment 424303

Is that your conversion mate? Looks well smart.

Would you mind posting a link to the model of the 17 seater you rented, if you can be bothered mate, cheers

If only it looked like that afterwards, that's more of a "before" shot! I think there might be some laws stopping it actually looking like that!

Unfortunately, it wasn't me doing the hiring and I don't even know where they hired it from. I didn't even drive it, I had one of the standard 17 seat transits. However, reports were very favourable to its comfort and performance (its speed limiter was set pretty high, too!)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=174207893758

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=174207956392

These seem good value, any thoughts?

Maybe I should just do my own research or make a new thread in a different part of the forum
Look just the job, but afraid you will have to pay your subs soon to continue posting, you only get 5 posts free, please keep it up, very interesting thread.
Btw, just for you as most others have seen it many times, this is ours
IMG_20190712_190309052_HDR.jpg

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Has he gone :( could have been interesting.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
JerryD
Sep 11, 2020
Scotland, Dundee
Funster No
MH
Nissan Elgrand
Exp
Since 2019
Look just the job, but afraid you will have to pay your subs soon to continue posting, you only get 5 posts free, please keep it up, very interesting thread.
Btw, just for you as most others have seen it many times, this is oursView attachment 424339
Looks amazing. I probably will pay the fee as the advice you get on forums like these can prevent costly poor choices etc

therealSB

Free Member
Mar 30, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2015
There was a smart looking Ducato maxi XLWB extra high on ebay that slept 6, was a lovely looking conversion - for about 30k.
Why not consider an overcab bed motorhome (I guess cost maybe).. these have so much more space inside. We've got a mwb sprinter and you can sleep 1 across the front bench seats with a blow up mattress. If it was me I would think carefully about those minbuses - what would you do about all the windows? And a sliding door is a bonus, not a negative. Large windows that do not open are a pain, they are bad insulators, and don't allow ventilation either, and you will need curtains or something. It is unusable wall space. If you look around you will be able to get a LWB dual wheel sprinter ex Police for example. Sprinters are nice but they are not as wide as a Ducato (you can sleep transversely in a Ducato).

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
There was a smart looking Ducato maxi XLWB extra high on ebay that slept 6, was a lovely looking conversion - for about 30k.
Why not consider an overcab bed motorhome (I guess cost maybe).. these have so much more space inside. We've got a mwb sprinter and you can sleep 1 across the front bench seats with a blow up mattress. If it was me I would think carefully about those minbuses - what would you do about all the windows? And a sliding door is a bonus, not a negative. Large windows that do not open are a pain, they are bad insulators, and don't allow ventilation either, and you will need curtains or something. It is unusable wall space. If you look around you will be able to get a LWB dual wheel sprinter ex Police for example. Sprinters are nice but they are not as wide as a Ducato (you can sleep transversely in a Ducato).
Windows are no problem, just build across them as if they aren't there, far easier than cutting a van about to put some in.

therealSB

Free Member
Mar 30, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2015
Or just build across without windows anyhow.

Sep 19, 2013
Cabbunk Central
Funster No
MH
Carado T459
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi, whatever van you get, as long as you have enough seatbelts, don't forget you can add two extra childbeds with a Patented Cabbunk Twin system. Only 7kg off your payload. Even works in Nissan Elgrand, LOL

Attachments

• IMG_20191204_092449_856.jpg
    IMG_20191204_092449_856.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
JerryD
Sep 11, 2020
Scotland, Dundee
Funster No
MH
Nissan Elgrand
Exp
Since 2019
Hi, whatever van you get, as long as you have enough seatbelts, don't forget you can add two extra childbeds with a Patented Cabbunk Twin system. Only 7kg off your payload. Even works in Nissan Elgrand, LOL

Good shout, very cost and weight effective way to get a couple of extra berths, cheers

Well I have made 2 steps towards making the dream happen.

1. Paid the membership for this forum, def seems like it will be worthwhile
2. Contacted a company that will help me through my c licence training. Going to go for the full licence which means I can even drive a lorry. Same price. Not necessary now but if me a d the Mrs carry on at this rate I'll be converting a juggernaut in a few years!

Anyway while I'm in the process of getting the C licence I can keep looking for perfect base vehicle.

Tempted by this one as I could start using it right away, just throw a few mattresses in the back and get curtains

Broken Link Removed

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Iveco do an xxlwb about 25ft long with dual rear wheels and very easy to convert. For belted passenger seats, there are always plenty of back seats from crew cab vans on ebay. 3 or 4 belted seats on each, some with isofix points for child seats. Just bolt through the floor using big spreader plates under the floor. Each row of seats can be made into a single bed

OP
OP
JerryD
Sep 11, 2020
Scotland, Dundee
Funster No
MH
Nissan Elgrand
Exp
Since 2019
Iveco do an xxlwb about 25ft long with dual rear wheels and very easy to convert. For belted passenger seats, there are always plenty of back seats from crew cab vans on ebay. 3 or 4 belted seats on each, some with isofix points for child seats. Just bolt through the floor using big spreader plates under the floor. Each row of seats can be made into a single bed
That sounds like a good idea, Didn't realise you could get such a long wheelbase as that, and I get the impression Iveco are good value and made to last. What age and mileage do you think it make the most sense to go for? Cheers mate

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Not sure that would be an acceptable fix as they wouldnt be tested to the correct standard, after all its your children's safety so you would want it be legally compliant AND verified as being safe. I think you're much better off going for an ex minibus or personnel carrier. If you can, look for a patient transport one as less likely to have been hammered and would have been well maintained

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Glad to see you have signed up, come on let's get started (y) (y) (y) :Smile:

OP
OP
JerryD
Sep 11, 2020
Scotland, Dundee
Funster No
MH
Nissan Elgrand
Exp
Since 2019
Not sure that would be an acceptable fix as they wouldnt be tested to the correct standard, after all its your children's safety so you would want it be legally compliant AND verified as being safe. I think you're much better off going for an ex minibus or personnel carrier. If you can, look for a patient transport one as less likely to have been hammered and would have been well maintained

Mister B, you make a good point about making sure fitted seats are safe. I'm more bothered about the actual safety of the kids, especially kids as opposed to the law. I saw a brilliant youtube video of a 6 belt camper with triple bunk beds. They use seats made by an italian manufacturer called FASP. I have attached a picture.

These seats: [LINK: https://leisurevehicleservices.co.uk/fasp-bench-seats/] are crash tested, M1 approved, and available with 3 point seatbelts and isofix. 2 900m wide dual benches face each other and fold to create a double bed.

FASP BENCH SEATS

Heres where I'm getting excited...

I'm considering thehFiat Ducato 2.3 MultiJetII 35 Maxi LX H2 EU6 5dr as a base van - internal width is 1,870mm.

I think may be possible to install 2 rows of 2 900mm M1 approved seats side by side. 2 x 900mm = 1800mm so technically I should have 70mm width to spare. If so, and assuming I get 3 seats in the cab then this would be an 11 seater!! (in case we have more haha, future proofing). If this does work then i will be delighted. With it being a high roof it also leaves options for more overhead storage over the seats.

The video demonstrating the seats and triple bunk bed link is here [Van Conversion with TRIPLE BUNK BEDS & 6 Belted Seats ]

The triple bunk bed is also a great shout for people with too many kids (picture of triple bunk attached) and with a really high roof van maybe it would be possible to make the triple bunk a bit less claustrophobic then it looks in the video. I

Additional berth

I have a question for you good people. Does anyone know if its possible to fit an overhead sleeper pod, like you get for truck drivers and you see on big motorhomes, onto a panel van. I see there are companies that offer these for trucks e.g. https://www.hatchercomp.co.uk

If I could do this, then this combined with the triple bunk and the quadruple bed courtesy of the belted seats, would mean my berth and belts would be more than adequate and I could use any remaining space for a toilet, cooking amenities and storage.

It's going to be more of an adventure van then anything designed for semi permanent living so I'm not too bothered about having barely any living space.

It feels like the dream is getting closer

Attachments

• FASP 3 point seatbelt bench seats.png
    FASP 3 point seatbelt bench seats.png
    113.3 KB · Views: 14
  • triple bunk.jpg
    triple bunk.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 16
  • sleeper pod.jpg
    sleeper pod.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Seats look good BUT it's about securing them and the seat belts to the chassis in an approved and safe manner. I like the idea of a triple bunk. Have you considered an awning to provide more living space if you're parked up for any length of time?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Seats look good BUT it's about securing them and the seat belts to the chassis in an approved and safe manner. I like the idea of a triple bunk. Have you considered an awning to provide more living space if you're parked up for any length of time?
Yeah I think I would go the awning route as well, as the kids get bigger they will want their own space, and would love to sleep in an awning, still think you will have a job with fitting seats and belts, surely better if they have been done professionally and certified.

OP
OP
JerryD
Sep 11, 2020
Scotland, Dundee
Funster No
MH
Nissan Elgrand
Exp
Since 2019
Awning is part of the plan for the reasons stated and also planning ot get things like seats and electrics professionally fitted as I don't want seats wobbling about or a fire (y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Awning is part of the plan for the reasons stated and also planning ot get things like seats and electrics professionally fitted as I don't want seats wobbling about or a fire (y)
Don't know anything about you but by your posts you don't seem short of a Bob or two, so have you priced up how much it would cost to get a professional firm to do it to your specifications.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the seats from transit crew cabs ARE crash tested to M1, with built in seat belts and with Isofix points. When installed at the ford factory, they add a plate under the floor with a captive nut for each leg. This is simple enough to duplicate on any van with a steel floor. Some companies remove this seat from new to create more bespoke storage solutions. The banks of seats sell for £600 or thereabouts and represent a ready made solution to carrying extra passengers

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
the seats from transit crew cabs ARE crash tested to M1, with built in seat belts and with Isofix points. When installed at the ford factory, they add a plate under the floor with a captive nut for each leg. This is simple enough to duplicate on any van with a steel floor. Some companies remove this seat from new to create more bespoke storage solutions. The banks of seats sell for £600 or thereabouts and represent a ready made solution to carrying extra passengers

i didnt suggest it wasnt a simple enough job to fit the seats, my query was more along the lines of if anyone got injured as a result of a crash and the seat fixings were found not to be certificated in some way, would that be an issue ......?

if they were fitted by a third party and accredited then i am sure there would be no problems whatsoever and i also think there may not be any if it was a diy build, the suggestion was for the OP to try to get some clarity just to make sure....

seats are removed and refitted by owners of vehicles quite often, ive done a few myself when fitting new carpets etc and if the fixings are already in place on the donor vehicle then i dont perceive the question would even need asking, its if the fixings have to be added in order to fit the additional seats where it becomes a little bit 'grayer' ...

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I'm a nissan elgrand owner and keen camper. The seats of an elgrand fold into a bed which has been great easy trips away, .

We had a very similar vehicle (Toyota Hi-Ace) with 3 rows of seats and the back two rows made into a bed and the front two seats would recline to make two single plus even with the seats flat there was a boot. We use that a lot along with a tent that attached to the rear door of the van when our kids were little. As they grew we had to rethink and bought a big old Hymer (similar to the one yodeli has now). That slept 6 but it would be quite possible to add carabunks although you would have to have a good think about traveling seats. Actually the traveling seats may be your issue .......

Have you thought about a minibus with a towed caravan?

Remember that if something appears cheap it is probably a scam and even if it isn't cheap it may still be a scam.

A small bus to convert would also work - but there is a lot of glass (all single glazed and lots of condensation) in a bus that would need to be sorted. We once had a bus for a kayak meet and the amount of water running up and down the bus even before we got on the river has amazing ....... could have kayaked up and down the bus!

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
The crash rated seats will be heavy, and all the passengers, so you will need something like a a Fiat Ducato Maxi chassis and the extra long extra high top. It can be plated up to 4700kg with air suspension and 121 rated tyres to increase the rear axle weight as well at the gross weight.
Dont know how insurers would see an 8 seat motorhome though!
You would be better with a minibus /partly converted day van and a caravan in my opinion.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We had a very similar vehicle (Toyota Hi-Ace) with 3 rows of seats and the back two rows made into a bed and the front two seats would recline to make two single plus even with the seats flat there was a boot. We use that a lot along with a tent that attached to the rear door of the van when our kids were little. As they grew we had to rethink and bought a big old Hymer (similar to the one yodeli has now). That slept 6 but it would be quite possible to add carabunks although you would have to have a good think about traveling seats. Actually the traveling seats may be your issue .......

Have you thought about a minibus with a towed caravan?

Remember that if something appears cheap it is probably a scam and even if it isn't cheap it may still be a scam.

A small bus to convert would also work - but there is a lot of glass (all single glazed and lots of condensation) in a bus that would need to be sorted. We once had a bus for a kayak meet and the amount of water running up and down the bus even before we got on the river has amazing ....... could have kayaked up and down the bus!
I don't know where all this condensation comes from, we have windows all round ours, no silver screen or owt and we never get condensation, really.
My lad has also got a converted ambulance, on a fiat and he doesn't either :unsure:

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Another vote for van plus caravan.
VW Caravelle, caravan and awning is an absolute winner for large families.
We camp with two families of seven, both have this set-up.
It works very well for them, I'm quiet envious on occasion.
They've got Cadacs large enough to cook for eight, room for kids toys, large awnings so that adults and kids all have space.
Leaving the caravan on site offers so much freedom to go exploring or even just popping to Tesco.
You'll rip through food supplies in the van. Fridge refill every third or fourth day?
Where will the kid's car seats, baby buggy, table and chairs live?
Think about clothes, shoes, towels, dirty washing, crockery and cooking utensils, even the number of loo rolls you'll need to carry.
Awnings are heavy and take up a lot of space, you'll probably need two toilet cassettes too.
Will the kids want to take bikes/scooters/skateboards and so on?
You need to keep everyone happy otherwise it's no fun, think about the practicalities of a panel van....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back