Hello, father of six seeking advice for massive campervan (2 Viewers)

Sep 11, 2020
Scotland, Dundee
Funster No
MH
Nissan Elgrand
Exp
Since 2019
Hi folks, thanks for letting me join this forum. I'm a nissan elgrand owner and keen camper. The seats of an elgrand fold into a bed which has been great easy trips away, including away football matches, with my three sons. As they grow its becoming an ever tighter squeeze and I have 2 daughters, aged 4 and 1, and another baby due in March (I'm only 33 lol). My dream is to buy a massive long wheelbase panel van and vuild it up to accommodate all of us. I have the money to do it and life is too short as they say. Wanting to make happy memories with the family.ooks like a great forum and I shall certainly be seeking advice from you good people if toy don't mind. Cheers

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi and welcome. Exciting times :D

At the outset focus on the weight/payload, with the basic build done, but completely empty of people, and their belongings, before you add a knife and fork into a draw or fit a sheet to a bed. You will need an absolute minimum of 1000kg of available payload. As some self builds come in heavy, make sure the chassis you use can cope.

Lots of people here have done exactly as you plan; so there will be plenty of advice on hand. Just shout up when you need and post about your progress :D

Your plan to build memories for your kids is the best. Kids and motorhomes go so well together, my kids are in their 20's now and the shared memories of all those trips and holidays are strong.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Realistically, you're going to need > 3500kg and an L4 van. If you haven't got C1 on your licence, I'd start taking lessons. An L4 van is going to weigh 2500kg empty. 8 people and their personal effects is going to weigh 700kg, leaving very little for the actual conversion on a 3500kg. You will need an L4 dual rear wheel 4500kg van. Quite how you'd get 8 people sleeping in one, I have no idea, but I guess you're already getting 4 into a car, so you know what will work for you!

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Your best bet is probably a Mercedes Sprinter (or VW Crafter). which is very long. Vauxhall Movano/Renault Master is slightly shorter. Ducato/Boxer/Relay are really quite short even in their maximum size.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
:welcome4:Something like this would give you the room you need.
:Eeek:
Screenshot_20200911-081133_Facebook.jpg

The first thing you will need to do is get a license to drive what you need, or maybe two his and hers would work better.😁

Even a people carrier and big caravan might work better for you, because just the seat belt issue in motorhomes is a problem, then finding something with enough payload would be another problem :doh:

Good luck I won't say it's impossible because here in Spain they seem to have loads of children, I dread to think where they put them all. 😁 Bob.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I m just thinking 8 seat belts, 8 push bikes to carry, how much water ? how many solar panels to charge up how many batteries to charge how many ipads ?

I m a lazy git and would go for a mini bus half conversion towing a caravan with awnings.

Best of luck, and hopefully get to read about it

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Wow.......and welcome from sunny Ciren!
(keep us informed of your progress, please!)

:unsure: ;):cool:(y)

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hi ,like your idea (y) I would go for converting a small bus, as then you would have the seats with belts which is going to be your main problem, anyway hope it all goes well and you keep us updated(y):Smile:

We hired a 17 seater Merc bus last summer which would have been perfect. Larger than the normal PVC conversions and had a "proper" bus style entrance door rather than a wide sliding door. Although you'd have to check the seats were M1 rated, as they would need to be if you have fewer than 10 seats.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We hired a 17 seater Merc bus last summer which would have been perfect. Larger than the normal PVC conversions and had a "proper" bus style entrance door rather than a wide sliding door. Although you'd have to check the seats were M1 rated, as they would need to be if you have fewer than 10 seats.
Yeah just did a quick eBay, loads of 17 seat transits around 5 grand

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Wonderful plan.
My memories of caravanning as a nipper and those of my two sons (both now motorhomers) are cherished.
Mind you, with 6 kids I'm impressed that you expect to have time to do the conversion work.
Good luck.

OP
OP
JerryD
Sep 11, 2020
Scotland, Dundee
Funster No
MH
Nissan Elgrand
Exp
Since 2019
Thanks for the wealth of positive comments much appreciated.

The mwecedes
Make sure this one has a tv.
Haha very good! Maybe seperate motor homes would help to keep the numbers down!

Thanks for the wealth of encouraging positive comments. I had been looking at the long wheel base 17 seater Mercedes sprinters online, thinking that if you could convert the cabin to a 3 seater, and have 5 more seats then this could leave a lot of space in the back for a couple of bunk beds, and clever folding couch beds. My children are 8, 7, 6 4, 1 and unborn so they are pretty small just now so maybe some could share berths. If in a few years we outgrow it I could always get a caravan or some other kind of overflow vehicle! It would be to use at the weekends rather than live in it for 2 weeks at a time so could get away without loads of living space, and using awning. I take it you need a c2 licence for an elwb sprinter?

I'm definately thinking life's too short not to go for it anyway! Thanks again for the encouragement and advice

OP
OP
JerryD
Sep 11, 2020
Scotland, Dundee
Funster No
MH
Nissan Elgrand
Exp
Since 2019

1599863109858.png

Is that your conversion mate? Looks well smart.

Would you mind posting a link to the model of the 17 seater you rented, if you can be bothered mate, cheers

OP
OP
JerryD
Sep 11, 2020
Scotland, Dundee
Funster No
MH
Nissan Elgrand
Exp
Since 2019

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun