Free Member
Nov 3, 2012
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1998
Thought that I better introduce myself as I've been lurking around these parts for a few days reading loads of bits and pieces. Judith (my better half) persuaded me to sell our old camper.

We've sold our 1995 Renault Master custom built motor home (not built by me) which has been great for the last three years but we fancied something larger and ours had only been built as a two berth and we'd converted to a four berth, we were left with very little space.

We have now decided to upgrade a couple of years to a 1997 Ford Transit based Left hand drive, Chausson Welcome 35 6 berth.

Its only an old camper but has low mileage and we're buying it from GoEuropean in Gailey so we should hopefully get some support if things go wrong (I hope we do as I think we're paying a heck of a lot of money for an old Transit which would only be worth £500 if it were just a panel van).

The forums very good, I've had a good read whilst lurking (which I tend to do on most forums)

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Pepper, welcome to MotorhomeFun.:welcome:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i know how you feel about the cost, my first van was a 1989 petrol talbot which i doubt you could have given away as a van .Add some cushions and motorhome on the v5 then its £4000

OP
OP
P

pepper

Free Member
Nov 3, 2012
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1998
i know how you feel about the cost, my first van was a 1989 petrol talbot which i doubt you could have given away as a van .Add some cushions and motorhome on the v5 then its £4000

Its exactly that feeling! I've got two lovely 57 plate masters I'm selling at the moment, both of them in great condition, drive lovely and I won't get half the price of a 1997 Ford Transit with a camper on the back!

But conversely it means that buying a camper means we don't lose a fortune like we do with buying normal every day cars, the depreciation that happens on new cars is ridiculous!

Thanks for all the welcomes, I may have to start posting in other sections ASAP! :winky:

D

DM14742

Deleted User
Sorry if I'm stating the obvious but why not keep one of your lovely 57 Master Vans & convert it? I know that's easier said than done but even if you source some of the work out you will be well in pocket in the end. :Smile:

OP
OP
P

pepper

Free Member
Nov 3, 2012
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1998
Sorry if I'm stating the obvious but why not keep one of your lovely 57 Master Vans & convert it? I know that's easier said than done but even if you source some of the work out you will be well in pocket in the end. :Smile:

Because I have a wife who wants a "proper" camper for once! I also don't have the time (or the skills) to make a good fist of converting a van into a camper, so we've gone for a coachbuilt older style motor, I won't mind driving an old Transit, we used to have them on our fleet years ago and we all like them. This one we're getting has the most kit on it I've ever seen on an old Smiley face Transit too, with Air con, electric windows, central locking, heated and electric mirrors and it all works!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Its only an old camper but has low mileage and we're buying it from GoEuropean in Gailey so we should hopefully get some support if things go wrong

Age does not matter ( except on some breakdown policies ), condition does and most important, what you do with it.

Whether you get support seems to be in the hands of the gods, some dealers are honest and helpful some should be locked up. I hope yours is the former. They do a tidy web site.

D

DM14742

Deleted User
Because I have a wife who wants a "proper" camper for once! I also don't have the time (or the skills) to make a good fist of converting a van into a camper, so we've gone for a coachbuilt older style motor, I won't mind driving an old Transit, we used to have them on our fleet years ago and we all like them. This one we're getting has the most kit on it I've ever seen on an old Smiley face Transit too, with Air con, electric windows, central locking, heated and electric mirrors and it all works!

Fair do's you've always to go along with the Boss. The advantage is that there will be plenty of Mechanical parts around and cheap too. Also easy to work on and durable without all the electronic wizardary that seems to go wrong these days.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
hi and welcome to the fun, one of my old vans was a 1971 Mk1 transit CI, I checked a couple of days ago and its still on the road. Only just been taxed for a year so looking good for yours. do check out the chatroom when you have a min. instant answers if anyone is in at the time, hee hee

OP
OP
P

pepper

Free Member
Nov 3, 2012
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1998
Well this is going well...

We were supposed to be picking up our motorhome tomorrow and had booked into a site near where we live tomorrow night to check everything out! GoEuropean rang at half past four this afternoon saying that they hadn't finishing getting it ready as they still needed to fit a lock and a pump.

We gave them three weeks to get the thing ready as we agreed when we signed their contract, if I hadn't rung them on Monday telling them that we were due on Saturday to pick it up and to check if everything was OK for then that they wouldn't have done anything at all in our preparation!

Now I'm perfectly capable of doing all the mechanical stuff that's needed but as this was our first proper motorhome and even though I could have taken the motorhome as it was and saved over £1500, I decided I wanted the reassurance of a full habitation check before we bought it and to get a few things repaired like a cracked shower tray and a rear ladder that was pulling out of the rear wall.

How frustrating it is to feel like a second class citizen as we're only buying an older motorhome from a dealer. I now can't pick it up till next Sunday at the earliest so I have a wife who is steaming and me feeling very let down!

I am having bad feelings about the dealer, I used to have to work with second hand car salesmen and this feels just like that!

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
hi and welcome.... sorry to hear that your dealer is giving you problems before you start..
its time to set out your stall when you go to collect, give it a some scrutiny and if its not as per your agreement dont take it away untill its fixed.. you could negotiate some of your cash back. you know what will happen once you take it away...

they will sherk their responsibilities and you will fix it a. bexause you can. b. because your wife will want it fixed.

good luck..

OP
OP
P

pepper

Free Member
Nov 3, 2012
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1998
Phill you're so correct!

As I was saying earlier in this thread £14000 for a 15 year old Ford Transit is about £13500 too much, I want it correct and will be going back over it with a fine toothcomb before taking it away.

I can imagine it still having aged crazed tyres when I go to collect it for starters.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Welcome :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.