Free Member
Apr 13, 2012
Preston, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
Hi to all,
Been registered for a few weeks, but been 'lurking' in the background so to speak, only because I had nothing interesting to say...

Me and the missus decided to get a 'camper' of some sorts, looked at all the options open to us and quickly decided that 'normal' caravanning wasnt for us. Weve opted for a 5th wheel setup, not got anything yet but close to getting a truck sorted. Elaine has experience of camping as a kid (caravan for weeks on end during the summer) but I dont... Closest Ive been to camping is living in a transit LWB during drag race meetings! However it does give me some experience of towing quite heavy loads (albeit on a drawbar but now were going to the 5th wheel Im guessing it will be a bit different).

Weve got a 2 year old son and wanted to do something to give him great childhood memories and for us all to do things as a family, we find its too easy to get sidetracked into 'routines' at weekends instead of doing the important things, so having seen some friends go off on camping trips and come back with great stories we thought we'd follow suit! Plans for the next couple of years will be weekending around the UK, then venturing further afield with southern France and possibly Spain in the long term future. We're all really looking forward to it!

Right, banged on enough, going to get stuck in and ask my first question...!

Cheers,
Simon, Elaine & Alfie

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello and welcome to Fun, if you are going down the 5th wheeler route I would send Chatter (Maggie) a pm and have a chat about anything to do with them not much she does not know about them, always worth double checking things could save you money.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Hi and Welcome to Fun

one thing i will say is if you want to use sites try and stick to one that is around 26/27 foot, a lot of sites dont have pitches for big ones, so the bigger you go the more you limit yourself with choice of sites, and seeing as you have the little one you will probably want sites with things to amuse him.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
welcome from us also

A warm welcome from us also.

I am sure you will have a great time. Take your time looking for the right rig. The tow vehicle needs to be suitable to take the 5ver... Some good advice given about size. I drive an RV and pull a trailer with the car on it... 45' long and other than shows it can be hard sometimes.. have to park the trailer in a different stop to the RV.. but with the 5ver that is less likely to happen. But could. C&CC and CC can get funny about size so the advice is good.

I have been researching myself in to them and found on the Calder leisure site there are some very good rigs.. I found a nice 24' I fancy. Alex that runs the company has a lot of wise info and always good to talk to. I was asking him only the other evening about the transformers he uses .. not el cheap stuff. but well rated top notch gear.. was very impressed.

But best way is go to a few shows.. the 5th Wheel companies (several of them attend) then you can compare them as well.

Great times for a child, we did it with our's when they were young... 25 years back we had our first european motor home.. had one then got a yank and that is what we have always had.

5vers are on our possible bucket list, we also are looking at a Ford or Dodge day van, rip out the seats so we can use the scooters and get an airstream caravan.. keeping the whole rig American. But we have several ideas.. our nearly new Brian James Trailer is for sale at a good price from the end of June. So we have started the trail.. may not do a lot more before the end of the season.. but who knows if the right deal showed up.

But get posting... that is the best way

Bob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back