hello everyone, help me pleasse:) (1 Viewer)

northernkelly

Free Member
Jun 5, 2011
middlesbrough
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
im a newbie
hi all, its the first time i have ever been on a forum and ive read quite alot on here and its helped me with a few questions, so thank you. i have just bought an escape 696 i pick it up on friday.there will be myself, partner our two children 8 and 3, and my mum and dad using the van and we all cant wait but so very scared as we havent got any idea how a motorhome works. could yous please help us. a couple of questions to start us on our journey. do we need to buy hoses for the water tanks?
do we need special electric equipment?
your help will be very much appreciated and anything else that i may need to know as ive never done this before x:Blush:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
hi all, i have just bought an escape 696 i pick it up on friday and i havent got any idea how a motorhome works. do i have to buy hoses for the water tanks?
do i need special electric equipment?
your help will be very much appreciated and anything else that i may need to know as ive never done this before x:Blush:

Hiya Northern Kelly, who on earth have you bought it off? an introduction to the workings of the beast is the least you should expect off the seller, when you go to collect tell them that you are a motorhoming virgin and expect at least an hours tuition on the workings, and good luck!! I'm sure you will find all the worry worth it once you hit the road.

W18BLA

Funster
Oct 24, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam
Exp
If its brand new and your collecting it from a dealer they will tell you everything you need to know and what you need.. We could list 100's of things you need i bet you would need something else... Major things you need to get going are..

240v hookup lead 20m at least.
Toilet fluid to start (You will read other ways on what to use as you go along"
Gas Bottle or two
Diesel this is a must it wont drive without it...
Batteries
Maybe Solar Panel or Generator but only if you plan on long stays in fields if you plan on site with hook up dont bother..
Oh and the most inportant thing ever is BEER OR Jack Daniels

anything else just take it from home and see what you need when you go out... We have been caravaners and Mothorhomers for years and we still buy stuff nearly everytime we use it..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
As above reply and ask them for a few freeby`s.. like EHU lead (Electric hook up lead).. A gas bottle or two and regulator (Even if the gas bottles are empty it will save you a few quid).. And a couple of Fiammi type ramps for levelling up on site. Theses few items wont cost them a fortune, but will save you a hundred quid or so.. :thumb:

Make sure it has a Jack & Wheelbrace..

Welcome to the "Funsters" and get to a few Rally`s/Meets.. :thumb:

blamehofman

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
Hi fellow Northerner :thumb: . If your buying from a dealer he should do a thorough run through how everything works before you set off , if not you pick up knowledge as you fumble along on your first few trips , or is that only me :ROFLMAO: as for electricals , dont buy a cheapo flat screen tele from Asda like me , you cant see the screen unless your perfectly in front of the screen , an inch to the left or right and you've had it :Doh:. I am sure the more technical answers you seek will be answered by more knowledgable funsters , most of all though enjoy every moment in your new van .... I know I do ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
N

northernkelly

Free Member
Jun 5, 2011
middlesbrough
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
im a newbie
thanks everyone, the dealer as told me that they will give me a run over the van, i was just been inquizative im like a big kid haha. i did ask them for some freebies but no luck:Angry:. and of courrse i wont forget the alcohol:thumb: for my partner so he cant moan at the excited kids haha.
fingers crossed i remember what to do, i didnt realise just how much knowledge you need for the van, i thought id get the keys and id be off haha:Blush:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi guys and welcome.

hoses....always worth carrying...you cant always get close to a tap so a 50ft hose would be ideal to start.
, and maybe a 10/15ft one for when you can get near a tap.
you also need a few different tap adaptors...you never know what type may be fitted but the commonest is the regular screw on type.

electrical goods....a lot depends on the campsite supply...anything from 16amps to as low as 5amps on some sites, especially foreign campsites.
16amp supply will allow you to use most things you use at home, a 5amps supply will be very restrictive....only low wattage kettles etc...no toaster, microwave etc.
you may find if a couple of items are used at the same time it may trip the hookup post breaker, which will then need resetting...sometimes you can do it, others need the site warden/manager to reset it.
kettle and toaster together will more than likely overdo it and trip out.

a steep learning curve but worth it in the end and if you get stuck just ask a fellow motorhomer for help...99 times out of 100 they will be only too happy to help/advise.

Tommy_harry

Free Member
May 30, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2 days
Hello from us

Hi Northern Kelly

we were in the same position a year ago and didn't have a clue, we still learning but we have had heaps of help from the forum... we actually not far from you we are in Durham.

we also have 2 children a 17 year old and a 4 year old, plus my mum who comes with us, (babysitter) you are going to love it, we have no regrets, apart from wish we had bought one earlier..

Any problems give the forum a shout, There is a few of us up here also so if your stuck help is not far away feel free to just ask, we are all friendly bunch,

GOOD LUCK & ENJOY....:thumb: Des & Dee

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi .::bigsmile: I would suggest ,after you have had your dealer show you how everything works ,that you make a couple of checklists i.e. what to take with you , what to switch off and or check before you leave site (rubbish ,empty loo, empty dirty water), is everything stowed away not going fall or leap about when driving:Doh: ,on arrival at sites (fill water etc). These will become second nature after a couple of runs . sounds like a lot but helps for trouble free motorhoming. Hope you enjoy your travels also make your first couple of runs not too far from home and not to long , so as to get in the swing of things. Terry:thumb:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Northern Kelly

See you have been given a list of hints.

One we saw while at a dealers if you have a Cam corder they were taking a film of the bits they thought complicated while it was explained to them (one watched one filmed), so they had a record to watch again at home.

Hope all goes well.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Good luck with it I bet your very excited.

We carry two hose pipes. A short 5 metre blue plastic food grade pipe with a screw on connector and a normal roll up 25 metre hose pipe with the same 3/4" screw on connector. Looks like this Link Removed

Except ours are plastic. Almost every site, CL or Aire you go on will have a tap it will fit on but as mentioned be prepared for the odd place being different. We have a rubber one size fits all connector which slots over anything but is a bit of a faff and also a 20 litre water carrier, some people use a large watering can for topping up! Again dealer should be able to supply all this.

Gas. They surely wont let you drive away without an LPG bottle. Usually when parked up you turn on the gas in the gas locker and everything then works in the van such as cooker, fire etc.

Electric. 25 metre hookup cable. Again standard fitting, goes in the side of the van and onto a hookup point at a campsite. All your 240v sockets will be live now in the van. Dont forget to find out what the ampage is at the campsite. In the UK its often 16 amps which is enough for most things but if you overload it it will trip out at the post (sometimes you can reset it yourself but it may mean a trip to see the warden / owner). Sometimes they are 10 amp or even 6 amp in which case dont try and boil a normal kettle or run a powerful hair dryer, at least not with other stuff plugged in.

Electrical things. As said when your hooked up your laptops, tv, kettle etc that you use at home will work. when you discover the real freedom of motorhoming away from campsites and dont have hookup then you will find in the van at least one 12v socket. Adapters for laptops can be bought and you should be able to get a 12v TV but as mentioned seek advice on here first as they are not all the same. The van should be designed to work perfectly on and away from hookup. Most vans can survive without hookup for 3-4 days. Some with solar panels can go without hookup indefinately.

Make sure you know how everything works before you leave. You might even want to video parts of the hand over. Get them to show you everything working without hookup and then with hookup. Fire, cooker, blown air heating, toilet, how to get the toilet out, water, water heater, tv if it has one, how to change the gas bottle, how the beds, tables etc are made up, put away.

For the loo before you leave ask for a bottle of the blue stuff for the loo. Just pour in just over a cap full before use (breaks it down). when its full, slide it out and when you empty it point it in the disposal tank on the campsite then press the yellow button to release the flow (sorry but it has to be done and its not as bad as your imagining).

Cant think of anything else right now but help is only a click away.

Good luck.

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Hello

Do what I did when I got my new van- book into a reputable site (Caravan Club are excellent but tad expensive and you need to join the club) Once there go around and pick the brains of motor home owners on site. I'm still learning from the "oldies" even after a few yrs traveling. Best bit ENJOY IT:thumb:

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
alls been said when on site and pluged in
just tie a piece of electrical wire to the steering wheel

then you remember to unplug before you drive off:Doh::Blush::cry:

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
Hi and welcome. Very exciting waiting to take delivery, we were like you two years ago and still are learning what we need!!. I will leave the technical stuff to the boys and tell you what I keep in van so as not to forget when away.

Make up remover box cotton wool, moisturisers etc, nail file, tweezers, mirror.

First aid box with plasters, bandages antiseptic cream, paracets for the hangovers, throat loz, lempsips basically anything I think we might need.

Bag of adaptors to charge up phones that can be plugged into cig lighter saving you having lots of plugs and wire mess. We bought ours from Asda and they come in a universal pack.

Peg bag
Cutlery, corkscrew and bottle opener
Crockery
Pans
Toothbrushes, paste
Soap
Hand, bath and tea towels
Bedding now its warm as not as damp as over winter
Gas lighter
Outside chairs & table
Tea, coffee & sugar
Travel clock
Dust pan and brush
Washing up liquid
Dishcloths
Spare cloths for spillages
Sun lotion and after sun
Fold up shopping bags
Barbeque, charcoal and utensils
Box of pens, paper

Just a few things you might need.

Happy travelling

Dale, Graham & Emily

Last edited:

Onderweg

Funster
Jul 17, 2008
Vlissingen, Holland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As of April 2008
Hi Northern Kelly

I am sure you will enjoy the motorhome experience !!!

When you are thinking of going to the continent you will find some places were the regular "Blue" 220V connector is not used (yet). If you make a short wire of which one end can be connected to your long cable the other end should have a connector like this:

Type E / F hybrid

CEE 7/7 plug
CEE 7/7 (French/German 16 A/250 V grounded)
In order to bridge the differences between sockets E and F, the CEE 7/7 plug was developed. It is polarised to prevent the live and neutral connections from being reversed when used with a type E outlet, but allows polarity reversal when inserted into a type F socket. The plug is rated at 16 A. It has grounding clips on both sides to connect with the CEE 7/4 socket and a female contact to accept the grounding pin of the type E socket. It is also used in Spain and Portugal. Currently, when appliances are sold with type E/F plugs attached, the plugs are CEE 7/7 and non-rewirable. This means that the plugs are now identical between countries like France and Germany, but the sockets are different.

Furthermore, looking at the regulations in the different countries i have made the following list in 2009. (Didnt update it, but you will know where to look for:

===Items===
A = first aid kit
B = warning triangle
C = reflecting vest must be in the car
D = reflecting vest must be used
E = backup light bulbs
F = fire extinguisher

===Remarks===
1. also when riding a bike (i dont mean a motorbike)
2. two warning triangles
3. two warning triangles for cars registered in Spain
4. two warning triangles required
5. only required for the driver
6. only required if the alarm lights don't function
7. not required for cars registered in The Netherlands, so my assumption is for cars registered in another country

(the ANWB obtained this information on May 2009 from their sister clubs)

Belgium A7, B, C, D5, F7
Denmark B
Germany A7, B7
France B, C1, D1&5
Hungary A, B, C, D, E7
Greece B, F
Italy B, C, D
Croatia A, B2, C, D5
Luxembourg B, C, D
The Netherlands B6
Norway B, C7, D7
Austria A, B, C, D5
Poland B, F
Portugal B7, C7, D7&5
Slovenia A7, B2, D, E7
Slovakia A, B, D
Spain B3, D, E
Tsjechia A, B
Turkey A, before, F
Sweden B
Switzerland B

In short, if you want to be fullproof you need A, B, C, D, E and F

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi one other thing if your new van has rear steadies thats wind down legs at the back fitted remember when you use them put your winding handle on your brake clutch pedals so that when you are ready to drive off site this will ensure you wind them back up and you dont damage rear of van (also dont use them as jacks to lift van level ,they are only there to stop van wobbling when you are walking about in van ) hence the name steadies. Terry

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
Childrens toys
Games