diesel_gypsy

Free Member
Jun 30, 2012
dorset
Funster No
MH
3 so far more t'come
Exp
First was the Autostratus LS, then a 2004 Autotrail Scout followed by a Nissan Civilian conversion.
Hello everybody, I have been lurking around here reading all the interesting threads for the last 8 years :) I have never had to introduce myself before as have always found the answers to all my questions from searching the threads :) So thank you for that :)
A bit about myself, I bought my first motorhome in 2005 and travelled all over Europe in it for the whole summer; it was the best thing I had ever done. So after much more saving I did it again in 2013 with my girlfriend, luckily for me she loved it too, we then moved to New Zealand and bought an older (much slower) motorhome and travelled the North island in it which was also amazing.
Just wanted to introduce myself, as I have my very first question coming :) I'll try and attach pictures of my three MH's so far :) In order:

Again thank you for all the entertainment you have given me over the years, I always love getting my weekly e-mail of the most talked about threads.

Hope this works :)

00001.jpg
00002.jpg
00003.jpg
00004.jpg

OP
OP
diesel_gypsy

diesel_gypsy

Free Member
Jun 30, 2012
dorset
Funster No
MH
3 so far more t'come
Exp
First was the Autostratus LS, then a 2004 Autotrail Scout followed by a Nissan Civilian conversion.
Hiya Big map, thanks for the reply; I wasn't expecting a reply so quick and from someone from my home town :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
diesel_gypsy

diesel_gypsy

Free Member
Jun 30, 2012
dorset
Funster No
MH
3 so far more t'come
Exp
Your awake early! it's 19:00 over this side of the world so must be 06:00 back there :-0

OP
OP
diesel_gypsy

diesel_gypsy

Free Member
Jun 30, 2012
dorset
Funster No
MH
3 so far more t'come
Exp
Welcome to the fun

:welcome4:
Are you still living in NZ ?
Yes we have become residents here now :) We love the weather here, but also love England and travelling around Europe.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Yes we have become residents here now :) We love the weather here, but also love England and travelling around Europe.
Can you tell us about the motorhome you have now, it looks interesting.
I gather NZ is a bit of a motorhoming mecca, have you seen much of it.
Have you bumped into Dyl and Tegan from @wildering camper. I enjoyed thier video blogs from their travels when they were over here in Europe.

OP
OP
diesel_gypsy

diesel_gypsy

Free Member
Jun 30, 2012
dorset
Funster No
MH
3 so far more t'come
Exp
Can you tell us about the motorhome you have now, it looks interesting.
I gather NZ is a bit of a motorhoming mecca, have you seen much of it.
Have you bumped into Dyl and Tegan from @wildering camper. I enjoyed thier video blogs from their travels when they were over here in Europe.

Yep sure,
When we arrived here we were very very surprised at the price of motorhomes and had to reign in our desire for our usual quality european MH, luckily Kiwi's are pretty good at the DIY MH's you can find hundreds like the one we bought; most of which are home built:
We called ours Hal, and it was a Japanese school bus built in 1986 and later imported to NZ by a lovely older couple who did the build themselves. I can't remember the engine size now but i remember it had no turbo and was incredibly slow :) It also had no power steering and basically no insulation, apart from that thought it had everything else that you require, due to having full time jobs here we only had two holidays in "Hal" and a few weekends away although we travelled around most of the North island in it :) We changed Hal for a people carrier which we used as a car camper at the weekends. Hal was sold to another English couple who were moving NZ and wanted to explore around before deciding where to settle down.
I remember one time my partners mother came to visit us and we took Hal for a tour with the three of us which was great except for muggins here forgetting to bring the key to get into the toilet cassette, that was fun!!!
Motorhoming here is wonderful and we plan to do much more of it in the future, we are planning on shipping a MH here from the UK eventually, you can take things very slow as NZ is not very big especially when you consider how few roads there are, no sat nav required here; getting lost is pretty hard when there is only 2 routes to each destination :) I'll put a couple more pictures up:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 11
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 60578miattt21.png
    60578miattt21.png
    129.7 KB · Views: 11
OP
OP
diesel_gypsy

diesel_gypsy

Free Member
Jun 30, 2012
dorset
Funster No
MH
3 so far more t'come
Exp
Welcome,
Really looking forward to the next stage of the adventure, As you are surely living the dreams of many of us old farts;)
Merryman aka Ian

Hiya Ian, i'm not sure our next adventure is "motorhomefun suitable" as in two weeks we are flying to Thailand and then making our way back to England overland but not in a MH, we will be using Trains, busses, tuk tuk's etc. Should take us about 5 months :)
I see you drive a Dethleffs, we hired one over here to have a quick trip around the South island and because I wanted to try the Fiat van to help me make an informed choice on our next MH, I was expecting not to like the Fiat after driving lots of sprinters through my multitude of jobs (plus on the autotrail) and loving them but I was pleasantly surprised, we only hired for a week but I had the feeling that I would get used to the auto box, learn it's intricacies and start to love it with a bit more time :)

Deleted User
Never seen a Dethleffs with an Autobox. Given the option and price range would have gone for 2 bed, autobox, with the double floor and 1/2 metre longer. Otherwise our 7 metre Trend ticks all the boxes.
Currently in Southern Spain for 8 weeks, seems the fashion is to lose the MoHo, and change for a twin wheel tug with large awning and stay 3 months or more, and store the other time. If you're dun roaming' that is. On this site Dethleffs outnumber auto trail and Swift hands down, But then most are Deutche registered. Also many Tugs made by the same company. Knaus and LMC are also very popular.
So diesel gypsy, are there any Elephant rides forming as part of this transportation etc. Next to Dolphins admire these magnificent beast above all, sorry, after dogs of course, much more affordable and as intelligent.
Bon Voyage, I feel a goodly diary and a paper back in the offing.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back