Hello boyo (1 Viewer)

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
I've been negligent in not introducing myself since joining this forum several days ago. Thanks to Paul (UKRV) for the link.

I was born and bred in (not so) sunny South Wales. Having worked for a California company in Wales for 10 years, I was offered a job at the California HQ. I went home to explain the offer to my other half, thinking we'd have to have a long discussion. Instead, she immediately packed her suitcase and there was no discussion.

We emigrated to California in 1980 and, for a number of years, I used the tag line "Taff exiled in USA". I eventually got tired of explaining what "Taff" meant to Americans and eventually dropped the tag line. But I'm still a Taff at heart and was once referred to (online) by a London friend as someone who "defends anything and everything Welsh".

I'll admit to being very homesick for the first 3 years, although my wife Chris hasn't looked back since she got off the plane at San Francisco. On a trip back to the UK I recall driving up the M4 to Heathrow and saying "I'll be glad to get home". That's when Chris said "I didn't think I'd ever hear you say that" (i.e. call California home).

We became naturalized U.S. citizens with U.S. passports and all the rights of someone born in the USA, except one (actually two). One cannot be President of the USA unless you were born here, which means I also can't be Vice President since the VP is the automatic successor in the event of the President's untimely death. That's why Arnold Schwartzenwhatsit can't run for the office of President. So far, he's not doing a very good job as Governor of California, but I'll leave that for another thread.

So, for you that hang out the Stars & Stripes for me, diolch yn fawr (thank you very much), but ...

Attachments

• Welsh Dragon.gif
    Welsh Dragon.gif
    7.3 KB · Views: 55
Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
BTW have you noticed how friendly Welsh folk are to "foreigners"?

Attachments

• croeso.jpg
    croeso.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 54
OP
OP
T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Taking a wild guess ...[/quote

Now why would you think that? Just because there are a lot of folks with the same surname in Wales. Isn't that called stereotyping? Just kidding Tony. Most folks don't know when I'm kidding in person, and it's even tougher online. An English friend in a long-forgotten forum once explained to someone "that's just Tom's odd Welsh wit".

Hey how's the Welsh accent holding up

An English chap currently visiting the U.S. asked me the same question elsewhere just yesterday. Here's the gist of my reply:

"Ask the numerous folks there at Happy Trails who know me. I've known xxxx online for quite a few years, but the first time we met in person a couple of years ago he said "your brogue sure doesn't come through online" "

When Americans want to be polite about saying "you've got an accent" or are too polite to ask "where are you from then?", they say "I like your brogue". I just reply "I like yours too". If someone says "you're not from here", I'm fairly safe in saying "neither are you, and your ancestors sure weren't". Those replies always make for a good laugh and break the ice for some friendly chat.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Hi John. Good to see you here.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Go on Tom, its OK to take the mickey out of John....the rest of us do :ROFLMAO:

Enjoying some sunshine today JSW? :winky:

MaureenD

Free Member
Jan 15, 2008
South Wales Vallys
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since October 07 but Caravanning since 1972
Hi TJ

From one Welsh person to another Welcome although I have only just joined tonight myself this is my first post. I live in the Rhymney Valley 18 miles north of Cardiff
Maureen::bigsmile:

OP
OP
T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Croeso Maureen. Glad to see some balance here. I was starting to feel outnumbered ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back