Hello and which one! (1 Viewer)

Farleigh

Free Member
Jul 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
So beginning to venture into this new world so thought I’d better say hi.

Been shopping for a 6m (at most) motorhome for me, my wife and two young kids.
The roller team T590 seems to tick all the boxes but wondered what you guys thought of them or whether we should look at something similar?

Cheers for now.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
So beginning to venture into this new world so thought I’d better say hi.

Been shopping for a 6m (at most) motorhome for me, my wife and two young kids.
The roller team T590 seems to tick all the boxes but wondered what you guys thought of them or whether we should look at something similar?

Cheers for now.
We hired one for a fortnight a few years ago and it was brilliant for two of us. The electric drop down bed works really well but it would be a squeeze to get two underneath the bed on the made up sofas although very doable. You would just need to be agile to get on/off the drop down bed.
Why not try renting one to see how it goes - we used Just Go near Luton

OP
OP
F

Farleigh

Free Member
Jul 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
Thanks Dunnah for the feedback and suggestion. Have looked into the idea about hiring although the penny pincher I am, I’d prefer to spend the money on buying one. Maybe I’m crazy and should try before I buy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:
For a family of 4 you are going to need a minimum of 1000kg payload so that will rule out vans under 3500kg.
You don't say if you are looking at new or used vans, if used you need to do or have done a proper damp check.
A 6m Low profile which the T590 is, is very small for 4, in fact very small for 2. I would have thought you need at least a 7m van.
Bear in mind the payload is reduced by any factory and dealer fitted options and they can come out of the factory up to 5% over the quoted weight.

OP
OP
F

Farleigh

Free Member
Jul 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
:welco:
For a family of 4 you are going to need a minimum of 1000kg payload so that will rule out vans under 3500kg.
You don't say if you are looking at new or used vans, if used you need to do or have done a proper damp check.
A 6m Low profile which the T590 is, is very small for 4, in fact very small for 2. I would have thought you need at least a 7m van.
Bear in mind the payload is reduced by any factory and dealer fitted options and they can come out of the factory up to 5% over the quoted weight.
Wow... we were looking at used 6m vans due to driving licence issues and the fact that anything bigger than 6m would not fit on the drive and we’d have nowhere else to store. As a newby apart from sleeping and washing potentially a bit of eating do people spend a lot of time in them?

OP
OP
F

Farleigh

Free Member
Jul 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
Definitely hire before you buy

Also check weight of any motorhomes you are considering - less of a problem if you have a C1 license
Thanks Nasher, have you been down this route of hiring first? What did you learn?

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
If you can squeeze to 6.5 mts there are loads more options on the market twin rear beds drop down front double four seats and dinette etc and bigger payload but try before you buy, it might appeal but its not for everyone but if you have survived lockdown in close proximity to your original family and have the same number you had in March you should be alright!

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
We looked at the 6 metre chausson welcome and 7 metre . The living space in both is about the same but the latter gets the garage . At one of the other contributors stated you’d feel a squeeze in a 6 metre but maybe a decent awning would help. I don’t think you’d cope with many long trips. We have the 7 metre and two big dogs - that’s a squeeze and they are much better behaved than kids . Would also agree to get the payload checked and maybe updates

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Once again it must be said that it’s your third van that fits the bill.......layout is sooooo important. Definitely hire before you buy.

(and Welcome from Ciren!). (y) :cool:

OP
OP
F

Farleigh

Free Member
Jul 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
Thanks all for the useful thoughts. Will continue to shop around and look again at the hiring option.

Jul 26, 2019
Fife, UK
Funster No
MH
McLoius Fusion
Exp
Since 2019
As a child and teen my OH had many fantastic holidays in a small family VW Camper van. Space was pretty limited but they did have a drive away awning as well. There was mum, dad and 3 kids. His mum has many fond memories of these trips.

Travel light, pack carefully and plan ahead. Most of all have fun and enjoy every moment. As long as there’s somewhere for everyone to sleep and eat then the rest will just fall into place.

As others have suggested, and if you can stretch to it, hire before buying.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks Nasher, have you been down this route of hiring first? What did you learn?

I was lucky enough to borrow, I learnt it was doable!

My first van did me well for 2 years, but then I wanted something bigger & I'm single, no kids (and very happy) 🙂

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
As a newby apart from sleeping and washing potentially a bit of eating do people spend a lot of time in them?
Depends on the weather, we hardly use our van in the UK so normally only spend evenings & nights in it. Probably easier to cope with a small van if you are going to mainly use sites.
Have you thought about an Alcove type van that is one with a bed over the cab they give you more room in a short van.

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Oh, lovely, I can have my car seat rant again! :wink:

Car seats and motorhomes just don't go together. They are big, bulky, awkward and essential. Your children will be in one until they are about ten. Every single time you stop, you need to take them out and find somewhere to put them if you want to use your lounge. Or your beds. The T590 has an L shape lounge, meaning you will need to take out the side cushion to get two car seats in (and I'm not sure you can get two car seats in even then) and one child will have no leg room. Also, consider where you will sit once your children go to bed (assuming you have the kind that do that)

Some people put up awnings, but then you are stuck in one place, and pretty much restricted to campsites. You will need to at least shop every few days, as you won't be able to store much in the fridge, so you will need to think about how you will get the four of you out for entertainment or supply runs.

Couples usually just move on every day or two, stopping at whatever they come across en-route, or parking out of town and using buses, bikes or walking (kids hate walking, and its not much fun dragging little ones around on buses if you are used to convenience of a car). Children are much less easy to please food-wise, and also a complete PITA to pack up after. They make more mess, with more stuff, rarely put things away and are usually pulling stuff out of one end of the van as are stowing things away at the other. And you have to put everything away and secure it all. Every time you move.

None of these things are insurmountable (clearly!) but they are the reason why motorhomes are largely aimed at and designed for adults, or at least families with older children. Unless you have the most compelling reasons not to tow, or some other reason why you really want a motorhome, I would urge any family with young children to at least consider a caravan. I'm not saying it's a terrible idea, but I've toured with a caravan and a motorhome, plus young child, and it's way easier with a caravan (if you don't hate towing and aren't on your own. Its really hard to hitch a caravan on your own with a toddler hanging off your leg. Ask me how I know!) I don't wish to be all doom and gloom about it, but I like to pass on the benefit of my experience to others (yes, I still have a motorhome, yes we still have a car seat* and yes I manage. But I'm on my own, only have one child in a four berth MH, work flexibly and so can be away all summer and have five sets** of relatives in other countries, so we tour a lot. Also, I hated towing. If you can bear it, towing is much easier with a young family)

* we have four centimentres to go. I don't know whose more excited for her to be out of the seat, her or me!
** six if you count the Cornish lot

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Car seats and motorhomes just don't go together. They are big, bulky, awkward and essential. Your children will be in one until they are about ten.
I know all about it, my daughter and grandaughter occasionally come with us for a night or two. We have a reasonable size van 7.5m with a huge garage, I have to empty the garage to get all the junk in. I thought lucky for me we now have a newish grandson so they don't fit in. Wrong recently went to a friends farm for a couple of nights daughter came in her own car and slept in our friends Motorhome and I still had to empty the garage to get all the junk in.
I hated towing. If you can bear it, towing is much easier with a young family)
We were tuggers for 25 years works well with kids as they don't want to keep moving on but I went right off towing & sites.

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
I hated towing. Did it for eight years, on my own with a baby from 4 weeks up till she was eight. (she learned to check the lights at about age three). While I can see how people think a motorhome would be easier, it is harder in some ways, and I think those issues are very exposed with a young family. I consider it my duty to warn people of the issues, so they can make an informed decision!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back