Aug 16, 2012
Ringwood
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Hi all

I have owned an old (G reg) Citroen Hymer 564 for 7 years and my family and I love it. We must do because we have spent a whole lot of money keeping it going! All the parts we have had replaced have actually been reconditioned as they are not made any longer. This has all been fine apart from the starter motor which has been reconditioned 5 times in as many years and is still not working properly.

I need to find a starter motor that will fit my vehicle and solve my starting problems. My wife and I have managed to push start it many times over the years but it is far from ideal!

If anyone is interested to know what I have had to replace over the years, here is a brief list.

Starter motor, Alternator, Turbo system, Cooling system and radiator, Gearbox, Clutch, Wheel bearings. There may be some I have forgotten about but you get the picture.

I would love to keep our old vehicle going for many years to come. I enjoy the fact that on many of the campsites we visit our Hymer is the oldest.

Thanks for reading and thanks for having me on board! :Smile:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello and welcome to motorhome fun, think old Hymers are like good wine they mature and improve with age. :welcomefunster:

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
I'm not sure if you have tried these people: Robson & Francis rewinds - yes, I know you say you have had it reconditioned but when they did my old Hymer wiper motor it had many new components put in (brushes, bearings, windings etc).

Might be worth a sixth go with them?

Cheers

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Friends of ours have just had a new starter motor fitted to their Citroen Hymer, 1991. Cost about 250 euros, fitted... :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if your starter has failed 5 times in 5 years, I would fix the cause first. its either getting wet and rusting causing it to seize or fail or has been badly refurbished

next time try AJW over in Wimborne, they are highly recommended and give a decent guarantee on their refurbishing jobs

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Hello & Welcome to the club.

Know nothing of Hymers or Citroen but someone will
Good Luck