Hello, and advice from the collective (1 Viewer)

willstones

Free Member
Oct 22, 2019
Midlands
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Noob!
Hi everyone,

My family and I are expecting to pick up our new PVC in a few weeks. We placed our order for our van just over 12 months ago, long before I’d heard the ‘C’ word. Needless to say we are very excited to start our camper van adventure when restrictions allow.

I do have a question for the collective though. We live in a tier 3 area (although we are very rural and have seen no cases in our village yet, touch wood), and so I’m keen to hear from others whether you would consider us going to collect our van from the dealership justification for travel? As far as i know dealerships are allowed to open, and the sale of vehicles is allowed no matter what tier. The dealership is probably a 1.5 hour drive away.

Keen to avoid a stormy debate on my first post :giggle:, but would love to hear thoughts on whether you feel this is ok, or whether you would consider such a journey?

Thanks all

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Welcome from Ciren (tier 2!) (y)

Would not really call it ‘essential travel’ I’m afraid.....:(....and is the dealer in the same tier as you....?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Hello welcome to the fun😊
That’s a tricky question and I know what I would like to do in your shoes 🤔

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I would not wait, it is a massive chunk of change you have paid and would not be happy till it was sat on the drive at home insured. There have been a few dealerships go bust screwing customers with no van or money. It is essential travel if you are just collecting

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
The advice is to minimise travel. Even then it is only advice and not law.

Given how much money is tied up, it would be on my drive and not at the dealers.

What you are proposing is perfectly legal and allowed under the guidance, which was designed to keep the economy going while minimising spread.

Goes without saying, wear masks, take some hand sanitiser and be sensible.

Welcome to the forum and motorhoming, I feel you will have many months to get it ready and modify it while waiting for the situation to get better.

My own opinion is that if you wait for things to get better, it will be April/May at least.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
mixed here feelings here, yes would like it sat on the drive but worst case scenario it may not move unless you take it shopping for the next 6 months with the warrantees slipping away and nothing being used unless you do some wild camping on the drive assuming that is where you are parking the van.

leave it at the dealer ship and it is their problem to store and protect it.

Bet you have started a heated debate :welcome4:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
As long as you are not vulnerable/at risk I'd say go and get it. It will give you loads of fun sitting in it over Christmas
Tell them to fill it with fuel. Give it a good clean when you pick it up. Drive straight home, you'll not need to stop and get out anywhere on route as you're self contained,

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
Hi everyone,

My family and I are expecting to pick up our new PVC in a few weeks. We placed our order for our van just over 12 months ago, long before I’d heard the ‘C’ word. Needless to say we are very excited to start our camper van adventure when restrictions allow.

I do have a question for the collective though. We live in a tier 3 area (although we are very rural and have seen no cases in our village yet, touch wood), and so I’m keen to hear from others whether you would consider us going to collect our van from the dealership justification for travel? As far as i know dealerships are allowed to open, and the sale of vehicles is allowed no matter what tier. The dealership is probably a 1.5 hour drive away.

Keen to avoid a stormy debate on my first post :giggle:, but would love to hear thoughts on whether you feel this is ok, or whether you would consider such a journey?

Thanks all
I would consider it a business transaction. Where a mask! Don't shake on it though....

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Personally I would be happier with the van in my possession
During the first lockdown our van got stuck at the garage while in for service
While I was not overly worried I was happier when I got it home

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
If I were in your shoes, it would be on my drive at the earliest possible opportunity.

Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
Business transaction go pick it up and enjoy camping on the driveway!👍
I would suggest a far safer transaction than picking up your sprouts from Tesco!

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Things may be very different in a few weeks anyway. The Covid vaccine program will be well under way. Spring will be nearly here. If you will be able to keep the van on your drive then go for it as you can sleep in it, I’d be too excited to wait.

Familiarise yourself with everything and if there are teething problems(there will be!) you can either get them sorted before your first trip or at least get over the annoyance/disappointment by moaning to us!

If it’s going to be kept in storage then I’d be inclined to leave it in their hands and keep the money in my account and not have the warranty start ticking.

OP
OP
willstones

willstones

Free Member
Oct 22, 2019
Midlands
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Noob!
Thanks for the feedback all, it seems most people believe it is acceptable to make the trip to complete the transaction and get the van safely home and secured on our drive. The warranty point is an interesting one I’d not considered, but as Carolyn pointed out we are going to need some time with the van before we try to go anywhere with it anyway, to get comfortable with how we use it, and familiar the “quirks”.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back