Hello and a little help please (1 Viewer)

Oct 18, 2016
bucks
Funster No
MH
van conversion a class
Exp
Hi, I am Tim and my wife Diana are collecting our first MH at the end of March. So we both would like to say hello on the forum.
Just been to the NEC and picked up plates and other small stuff including a Cadac BBQ. The motor home will have an awning and we like the idea of adding sides to make an additional room. Diana has heard from somewhere today that you are not allowed to use a BBQ in an awning. Is that the case?
The MH will be a new one from a dealer so we ought to have a useful handover, but I expect I will want to tap your brains over the next few months too. Thanks Tim

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
A barbecue in a closed awning is extremely dangerous because of the risk of carbon monoxide build up. That cannot happen if one side of the awning is left open so if you need to barbecue whilst it's raining the awning is an excellent shelter. The only other risk for the careless is of fire.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Welcome to Fun, it's a great place to be:)

Your new motorhome will be fitted with a monoxide detector to ensure that you remain safe inside the vehicle, however there is nothing fitted outside the vehicle. If you choose to use the BBQ under the awning then this shouldn't lead to any problems due to the supply of fresh air; however if you enclose it in any way, then there is potential for the buildup of poisonous gases. Campers have been know to die by using their BBQ in confined spaces. Best advice is to make sure you have sufficient ventilation while you are using it and that you clear any residue before sleeping in a confined space.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-33976414

Think common sense prevails and an awareness of the risks involved, that are easily negated by the simple use of ventilation:)

Hope it helps and enjoy your new home. Keep us posted:)

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
But there's n
A barbecue in a closed awning is extremely dangerous because of the risk of carbon monoxide build up. That cannot happen if one side of the awning is left open so if you need to barbecue whilst it's raining the awning is an excellent shelter. The only other risk for the careless is of fire.

But there's nothing to say its not allowed....only common sense.

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

Upvote 0
May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
The MH will be a new one from a dealer so we ought to have a useful handover,
A number of posters on here have been caught out by poor or rushed handovers by some dealers so can I offer a friendly/helpful word of advice insofar as gettting as much information as possible from him/her on the day.
If you are new to moterhomes this could be quite difficult as you may not know what you don't know if you get my drift ? Therefore, beforehand look at the brochure and/or look on line for items related to your new MH and then create a long copius list.
It doesnt matter if it is a long long list try and make them go through each item that you raise no matter how long it takes and even then you may end up scratching your head a day or two later. This is where Motorhome Fun comes into its own because you only have to ask on here and one can guarantee that there will be plenty of owners ready and willing to help answer any queries you may have....dont be afraid to ask.

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I'm not sure what your plans are for parking the motorhome, but a good suggestion is that you don't go anywhere for the first weekend, but stay in it (hopefully on the driveway) and then you'll have a pretty good idea of what's involved, what you might have missed (corkscrew is one that springs to mind), how it operates etc.

Won't be too far to go should you need an essential item:)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
V
Oct 18, 2016
bucks
Funster No
MH
van conversion a class
Exp
Thank you already for the responses. Great advice and obviously fantastic knowledge. We are very excited about this new adventure and I can tell we will be amongst some very good people.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
:ello::welcomesign:

Exciting times, it will be hard to remember everything at the handover. Try to stay local for the first night to see if there is anything wrong with the van. Our first motorhome had the table the wrong way round but staying local meant they could sort it out for us.

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Welcome and as per the others stay localish to start with.

With the cadac, there were numerous rainy days in cornwall when we used it inside the caravan awning whilst drinking copious amounts of cider................................This does not mean it was safe to do so....................... it means i was an idiot ! I now believe i know better and drink wine instead............................................ (kidding honest). For all the reasons outlined it shouldnt be done.

Seriously though, in terms of getting the safari attachment onto your awning, I would most certainly give it a few goes before making that purchase. Almost the first thing we did with our first van was to sell the safari awning that came with it. It is down to how you use the van and you wont know that til youve tried it

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
another bit of advice is slow down and think at the handover as the excitement tends to mean you miss bits. you can always video the demonstrations on your phone for later

Upvote 0

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Take a small hand held digital recorder with you. Olympus make excellent ones: and record the handover process. Believe me, there is a lot to learn and you are bound to forget some of it. Such a recorder is inexpensive and has many future uses.

Don't be afraid to ask as many questions that you can think of, no matter how silly they may seem.

Good luck and enjoy your lovely new van.

Upvote 0
Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
I picked up my first van just over 9 weeks ago. I read the instruction manual I'd been given several times and had noted everything that didn't make sense. I'd spent a lot of time looking through this forum. Spent the first night on the drive, then went out with her for the day, back on the drive. Just getting lots of practice in of the 'on arrival' and 'on departure' routine. Dealer did say I could contact them with any further questions and then there are so many very helpful people on this forum as I still keep coming up with questions.
Have fun!

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi, and welcome,
Every one of us has, at some time or another,
1. Wondered why the gas doesn't work,(we've not pressed the button on the Reg)
2. Driven off without putting the legs up (Ahhm!!!)
3. Driven off without unhooking the EHU
4. Got to the pitch without putting water in the tank.
Etc. Etc. Etc.
The list is endless (and I Mean ENDLESS)

As it's your first, and has been said, record, either verbal or better on camera, everything on the handover.
Those things you miss and don't know, ask on here. Someone will know.
Last but by no means least. Enjoy Enjoy Enjoy.

Reactions: Pia
Upvote 0

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
We've had ours nearly 4 weeks now...he is called Harvey (RV). I had a list as long as your arm for the handover but they covered almost everything in my list except the height of the vehicle with the satellite dish folded down...they did get their platform thingy out and we measured it before leaving...the dish added 20cm to the overall height of the MH. Harvey has to go back in on 28th for some bits to be sorted..but we are very happy with him. We've been away 3 weekends since we got him and are away off to Corby to do the MH manoeuvering course on March 5th. So......have a long list when you go to handover. I made copious notes during handover too and we have those to refer to. Using your motorhome immediately means you get used to living in it...there is nothing to compensate for this, in my view...I sorted the cupboards at the beginning, I thought, but have changed things around already so that they are more convenient for living....we're away off to the Continent very soon for 8 weeks so we want to feel comfortable in Harvey before then. Wishing you happiness and joy and lots of travelling adventures in your new Motorhome.

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We are on our sixth motorhome but even we were puzzled by a couple of things regarding the operation of latest one, despite an excellent handover by the Dealer.

I would agree with those who have suggested videoing bits of the handover. The bit that confused us was the operation of the control panel for heating, lighting, hot water, gas/electricity power sources. I wish we had videos that!

:welcomesign:

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
How exciting and welcome to the mad house.....:)

If you put sides onto your awning, I would imagine plenary of air will be circulated from underneath the van )unless you fix a skirt..)

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2014
DORSET
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo EK
Think it has been mentioned above but very useful to make a list from your purchase document and the manufacturers advertising, it is surprising that things get changed about from model to model and after you have digested umpteen different makes and models you cant remember all that you eventually went for.
My list was 2 f/scap sheets of ticks, fortunately the hand over was o/k and I only had a few questions un-answered.

Have a great time and enjoy:D:D:D:D:D:D

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2014
DORSET
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo EK
We are on our sixth motorhome but even we were puzzled by a couple of things regarding the operation of latest one, despite an excellent handover by the Dealer.

I would agree with those who have suggested videoing bits of the handover. The bit that confused us was the operation of the control panel for heating, lighting, hot water, gas/electricity power sources. I wish we had videos that!

:welcomesign:

I had the same in mind, put my model in to google and clicked on videos, rather a lot there but a very useful one was a video for the hire of the same model, covered everything.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Welcome

When we did out handover in November I walked round with a notepad (electronic one mind) and listed further queries I had and snag items. At the end of the demo there was about 5 items that needed attention. Small stuff like a catch to hold up the rear bunk to make it a larger garage was missing. I got them all rectified there and then but I had to remind the guy a couple of times on some items as he kept forgetting. Hence make a list as you go to refer back to as it until its clear.

Have fun.

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Think long and hard regarding sides for the awning they are called safari rooms if they are the solid type, i would bet there are more safari rooms in lofts and garages than there are in vans by a country mile. Unless you intend staying in one place they are a pain to erect and put down they weigh a ton and are bulky to store
however if your going to stay in one place for weeks they are an extra room

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back