Hello, an introduction and a request for advice etc (1 Viewer)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Hello, Hola, guten tag etc
I've had various camper vans, caravans and motorhomes over the last 20 or so years mostly just for holidays and weekends away etc the usual really.
But this year I returned from a week In gran canaria and decided I've finally had enough of the rubbish unpredictable weather in the UK.... That and just a general feeling of life is too short and I want to see more of the world, so I decided I was going to sell up and move to gran canaria :)..... So I sold my vw trophy camper my two motor bikes and finally my house..... I move out August 18th
But the last few weeks I've decided that rather than fly over to gran canaria with a couple of suitcases rent an apartment and go job hunting I'm gonna buy a decent size motorhome and tour round Europe for 6 months to a year first.... I'm Planning to hit the continent after new year.
So I'm currently looking for a van, I started with the idea of a early 2000's burstner 747 around the £20-25k mark as I've had one of these before a few years back and it was a good built van with plenty of storage and a garage so I can carry a scooter etc..... But after looking at a few I'm now thinking am I better investing a bit more in a newer better van that will be more comfortable and reliable hopefully, so I'm now comparing a burstner elegance i810 and a frankia i840bd around the £45k mark.

I won't be working while travelling and I'm not old enough for pensions etc, having sold everything I've a decent amount of savings and as I plan to wild camp and use Aires I reckon I should be able to survive on £10-15k for a year. This is of course based on speculation and info I've picked up reading threads on here and other sources online etc.

Obviously this isn't the full amount of my savings and I've a contingency fund.

I'm hoping that if I find somewhere I like when travelling I'll make attempts to find employment etc but in no rush to do so as I ultimately just want to take a year out

Im a novice to longterm /full timing... I'll be travelling solo but being a friendly sociable chap I'm hoping to meet fellow adventurers along the way

I'm still looking for my van I'm viewing one of each this Tuesday :) pressure is on as I'll be living in it from mid August :) as I'll be off two months from work recovering from a hernia operation and plan to tour a bit of Scotland during that time getting a feel for the van

So I may be mad, it may a go horribly wrong lol but I have this feeling of yolo I can't shake and I'd rather regret having tried and failed than not trying at all

Any advice, opinions on vans, tips, recommendations etc or just good old encouragement much appreciated

And hello :)

Tam

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Great introduction. Go for it - you'll only wonder if you don't. Hope it all works out - good luck and
animated WelcomeGroupSmiley.gif

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Exactly... It's not a new thought I've been mulling it over for a few years and kept making excuses.... But I've the opportunity now and as the Spanish say Ahora o nunca

Thanks for the encouragement :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Soooo an update I've found a van agreed a price and thought I'd get a quote for insurance today.

Having read threads on here etc I phoned comfort and used the honest yet vague approach, as I've not done this before it's not avoidance just simply don't know the answer to many of the questions she asked.
I won't have a permanent UK address as I've sold my house and move out on the 25th August I'll be using my mother's as a registration address etc
No idea of mileage as I plan to move around but that depends on where I go etc so I opted for 10000 miles as a guide
Breakdown cover for UK and Europe included, van value at 45000 with no motorhome no claims as they don't accept cars no claims they quoted £1870

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Soooo an update I've found a van agreed a price and thought I'd get a quote for insurance today.

Having read threads on here etc I phoned comfort and used the honest yet vague approach, as I've not done this before it's not avoidance just simply don't know the answer to many of the questions she asked.
I won't have a permanent UK address as I've sold my house and move out on the 25th August I'll be using my mother's as a registration address etc
No idea of mileage as I plan to move around but that depends on where I go etc so I opted for 10000 miles as a guide
Breakdown cover for UK and Europe included, van value at 45000 with no motorhome no claims as they don't accept cars no claims they quoted £1870
The quote sounds about right and you would be advised to get medical cover as well. Having just had surgery this might put up the premium a bit. This thread might help: https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...ravel-insurance-question.158148/#post-2453533
Don't forget you will need to return to the UK for the MOT so best to get the vehicle tested just before you depart even if it isn't due, then you can have nearly a year away. :)
Best wishes!

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years

try safeguard, £1870 seems pretty high to me, but don't know about full timing.unlimited mileage and eu breakdown cover included.
Best of luck on your travels

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The quote sounds about right and you would be advised to get medical cover as well. Having just had surgery this might put up the premium a bit. This thread might help: https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...ravel-insurance-question.158148/#post-2453533
Don't forget you will need to return to the UK for the MOT so best to get the vehicle tested just before you depart even if it isn't due, then you can have nearly a year away. :)
Best wishes!

Yeah as I don't plan to leave the UK till January I should be well recovered from the surgery as that's on the 22nd of this month
The Mot on the van is due January 27 So I figured I'd put it in the month early 27 December and then that would give me 13 months, I'd likely be back to visit parents Christmas 2018 so just in time to redo it
The quote seems expensive but I think I'd rather have peace of mind than be in doubt

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
try safeguard, £1870 seems pretty high to me, but don't know about full timing.unlimited mileage and eu breakdown cover included.
Best of luck on your travels

I planned to try safeguard too as technically if I'm insuring it now but not going full time till January I'm paying 4 or, 5 months full time cover when not technically full time

Although the girl from comfort did say that because I don't own or rent my mother's house they would class me as full time anyway

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
That's a great intro Tam and I wish you all the best for your move and new life on Cran Canaria.

:welcomesign:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Glad you've found your MH. All you can do is shop around for quotes, another firm might take your car no claims into account. I think I went with safeguard first year I changed from car to MH. Try getting breakdown separately. Good luck.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
OK so I've just been on to safeguard and having asked for clarification on everything ie they provide 355 days European cover no restrictions onength of time ie I can be there 355 days no issues, full breakdown and recovery with the aa, unlimited mileage, motorhome valuation £45k switching 10 tears no claims from my car, £250 excess they quoted £545.96 pence

She did ask if I was using it as a full time residence which I said no because technically in the next 12 months I will be staying at My mother's at least 3 weeks and it will be registered insured and taxed at her address so I think that's perfectly legal

Am I right?

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
In my understanding full time is just that and if somewhere else for however long it's not full time.....HOWEVER, there will be definitions of the term in the small print somewhere so check it out first.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
In my understanding full time is just that and if somewhere else for however long it's not full time.....HOWEVER, there will be definitions of the term in the small print somewhere so check it out first.
Yeah I didn't want to mention full time to the girl on phone just in case they jumped on that, as to be honest this is a new venture for me and a lot can happen in twelve months so I may well only be in the van 6 months 9 months whatever..... I won't know till the end of the twelve months exactly how long I've been in it..... Next year is another story

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The only way to be sure is to tell the insurer what your plans are and disclose relevant details, for example selling your house. They won't investigate your circumstances unless you put in a big claim, then it is too late to find out they won't pay.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
A lot of insurers will mirror your car insurance no claims bonus.

As you have said your not going full time straight away and as you arnt moving until August you still have a home address.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The only way to be sure is to tell the insurer what your plans are and disclose relevant details, for example selling your house. They won't investigate your circumstances unless you put in a big claim, then it is too late to find out they won't pay.
I did that :) I told them I was moving back in with my mother and doing some longterm travelling which is technically true, I'll be living there a week from 25th August and then a few days here and there up till mid January then I'm off to Europe till whenever

Reactions: DBK
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Hi and welcome

As for permanent address, the general rule is that if you live elsewhere for 183 days or longer then that is where you are considered "normally resident". The provision of an address at which you can normally be contacted is a registration requirement of the DVLA, it is unlikely to have any bearing on an insurance policy save serving as a contact address.

It is important that you disclose your intentions to have an extended holiday to your insurer, in full and in writing before agreeing any policy. Perhaps also mention that your plans may alter and that you will of course advise them as and when they do, so they can adjust your policy to continue cover. And to then have that noted on your policy.

@DBK is perfectly correct, it isn't until you make a claim that you find out that a claim is being refused, and any failure to disclose material information is a valid reason to cancel cover. After all, surely something worth £45k is worth a few extra quid on your insurance policy for the peace of mind you get

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
A lot of insurers will mirror your car insurance no claims bonus.

As you have said your not going full time straight away and as you arnt moving until August you still have a home address.
I'm selling the car to Arnold Clark so I'll be transferring my 10 years no claims from that on to the mh.
I gave them my mum's address as that's where my license, registration, bank accounts insurance and road tax etc will all be at and I will be staying there more than ten days over the twelve months so from the girl on the phones 3 times clarifying 355 days continuous travel I think that's right. I don't want to keep questioning their responses either because that makes me look like I have reason to believe it's incorrect.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Just to add, be sure that the 365 days EU cover allows you to be absent from the vehicle if you decide to leave it for a few days.

I suspect it will, but Comfort's standard policy limited you to 36 hours a few months back (perhaps 48 hours now, which isn't a lot)

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Hi and welcome

As for permanent address, the general rule is that if you live elsewhere for 183 days or longer then that is where you are considered "normally resident". The provision of an address at which you can normally be contacted is a registration requirement of the DVLA, it is unlikely to have any bearing on an insurance policy save serving as a contact address.

It is important that you disclose your intentions to have an extended holiday to your insurer, in full and in writing before agreeing any policy. Perhaps also mention that your plans may alter and that you will of course advise them as and when they do, so they can adjust your policy to continue cover. And to then have that noted on your policy.

@DBK is perfectly correct, it isn't until you make a claim that you find out that a claim is being refused, and any failure to disclose material information is a valid reason to cancel cover. After all, surely something worth £45k is worth a few extra quid on your insurance policy for the peace of mind you get
I did say to the girl that I panned to tour Europe from January and had no idea at this time how long for, I asked for clarification that there was no conditions stipulating 90 day spells etc she said nope 355 days continued travel was allowed. She asked where the vehicle would be stored while not in use I said on the driveway for the ten days I wouldn't be in Europe lol she laughed and said it sounded quite an adventure

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Just to add, be sure that the 365 days EU cover allows you to be absent from the vehicle if you decide to leave it for a few days.

I suspect it will, but Comfort's standard policy limited you to 36 hours a few months back (perhaps 48 hours now, which isn't a lot)
As I'm travelling alone and will be on a budget I don't think I'll be away from the vehicle one night to be honest never mind 3, I was clear with them that I bought the van for longterm travel up to a year and again she stressed I was covered for 355 days continuous so 3 times in total, the only stipulations on my quote was the vehicle required a cat 1 Thatcham alarm which I'm pleased to find out from the seller that it does as well as a tracker and immobiliser.... I'm excited now :)

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
Best wishes!
Whilst we're in the EU (hopefully forever) you can use EHIC and get excellent medical care certainly in Spain without difficulty....we've had occasion to use the Spanish system several times and in my experience it was one of the best...also used French but that's a bit more complex...we've also had occasion to use the French but we used the private system and it was excellent also. Happy travels.....we're setting off in October for the winter in the south of Spain...maybe see you around:D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back