Hello All... (1 Viewer)

Betty boo

Free Member
Oct 7, 2010
Funster No
Hi everyone I am new to this site so I thought I would say "Hello" and intoduce myself and family. I am married and have one son and also a Westie and a springer spaniel, We are thinking of buying a larger MH , we already have a 1976 VW Type 2 Bay (Westfalia) and we go camping most weekends (weather permitting )and have been to a few VW festivals. But as the nipper has now turned 14 its a bit cramped and he wants his independence (or a bigger bed), so we have been on the look out for a MH as two our friends who have two VW's (A Foster and Day Gypsy, and a Bay) have also bought theirselves a Swift Bessacar.. And after seeing that my wife also wants a MH that has plenty of room and is comfy!! But our budget doesn't stretch to the prices that warrant a modern MH, so we have been looking for an older model. And we have found a 1992 Talbot Kon-Tiki. It is within our price range and the wife loves the interior which is great and no damp patches or signs of damp. But the only concern of mine is, that it is a Talbot, and has done 88,000 miles. So I would be extremly grateful for any comments and advice on purchasing this motor. And what would you think was a fair price for it. Thank you in advance and No! I wont be selling my VW:)

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Betty Boo & :welcome: to the Fun. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the site, it is worth what anyone will pay but as a guide heres one that sold on ebay, a year younger and less milage for £7k
Link Removed
I have seen them go from £3.5k, they are prone to leaking on the roof seam. do get on the roof and check it just behind the roof rack where the roof is joined, make sure it has not been bodged.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
:welcomefunster:
Sorry can't help with your questions.

OP
OP
B

Betty boo

Free Member
Oct 7, 2010
Funster No
Thanks for the reply "wildman" good advice , I have been on the roof and there was no visible evidence of any "bodging".The guy who is selling it has got it in a garage at the moment , having a new exhaust fitted. I seen the mechanic and he said that the clutch was quite "heavy" to push down, he is going to lubricate the cable and also he said it was quite hard to start but when it starts it runs well. I suggested this may be glow-plug problem. I see you reside in Ilfracombe I used to work in Woolacombe in the 70's and used to frequent the "No 3's" pub in Ilfracombe, where they would only serve non locals a half pint of cider and no more!! Good stuff the old N.D.C. (Natch) do you remember the pub? We were down there last year camping in Woolacombe but the weather was terrible..

doglover

Free Member
Aug 27, 2010
lincoln
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 months
talbot

hi i have a 1990 talbot autorail chinook no problems whatsoever we love it a good sturdy van

Simba

Free Member
May 17, 2010
Basildon, Essex. UK
Funster No
MH
Gone back to tugging
Exp
Since 2009-2013
:welcomefunster: Hi, we have a 1992 Talbot 2.5TD Swift KonTiki, had it about 18 months now only problem we have had was a leak from the onboard fresh water pump while we was at a meet in Shepton Mallet and being new to M/Homes one of the Funsters (Dellwood33) sorted it for me. :thumb::thumb::thumb: Great group of people on here always willing to help.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Betty Boo :welcome: to the Fun. :thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Apart from the gear linkages my sisters Talbot went on for years and years..
She and her hubby travelled the uk doing windsurfing events and as I say, apart from the gear selection issue ( which is easily sorted out with a kit that is avaiable for under £45.00 now ) nary a problem ...

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
welcome from one of the Kentish mob

Welcome to the forum... hope you will enjoy your time with us.. mad bunch, but lots of info and helpful group.. well worth the £12 subscription.

Join in, get involved and hope to see you at one of the venues we turn up.. (mainly next year now).

Bob, Sue and Ezzie the St Ber:thumb:nard

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back