Hello All. Complete Novice Family - First MH rental coming up! (1 Viewer)

JBL

Free Member
Jul 11, 2021
Funster No
MH
A Class - Don't own
Hello all, just signing on to say hello and try and gather as much info as possible on motorhome-ing. We have our first trip coming up at the end of August; 1 week as a taster to see if we like it but on paper it makes sense what with, 3 kids and 2 dogs.

First question will be about finding the best campsite where we can pretty much park up and use bicycles for a week. Quite keen on walking and riding, older dog enjoys being trailered! Any pointer on top of the search function welcome.

Happy trails!

JB

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Amy Poehler Hello GIF by Team Coco

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Hello & welcome

Good plan to hire to see if it works for you. With the kids and dogs and bikes payload is something you really need to think about as it might come as a bit of surprise.

Agreed about Clumber Park & Sandringham though they belong to the 2 big clubs and unless your hire mh includes guest membership pitch fees could be a bit pricey, possibly check out the sustrans site together with searchforsites app for sites near cycle routes?

Best of luck, hope you have a great trip.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Where are you picking the moho up from?
and how far do you want to travel- and what size is the moho [as some destinations are down teeny weeny roads and scratching a rental is not to be recommended !]

That will give Funsters a better idea of what direction to point you in ---- but hiya and welcome -

OP
OP
JBL

JBL

Free Member
Jul 11, 2021
Funster No
MH
A Class - Don't own
Where are you picking the moho up from?
and how far do you want to travel- and what size is the moho [as some destinations are down teeny weeny roads and scratching a rental is not to be recommended !]

That will give Funsters a better idea of what direction to point you in ---- but hiya and welcome -
We were looking at two possible destinations: Norwich way or Peak District, Wales was also a possibility. We are picking it up from Derby.
It’s a Chausson25. 7mx2.12.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
We were looking at two possible destinations: Norwich way or Peak District, Wales was also a possibility. We are picking it up from Derby.
It’s a Chausson25. 7mx2.12.
Welcome , the Peak District is a great place for cycling with the Monsal trail being best for family cycling.

It is busy and with school holidays starting there will be quite a few sites booked up so don’t leave it too long before deciding where to go if possible.

You may find joining the Camping and Caravan club would give you access to temporary holiday sites which would add to your options, I don’t know if the rental co offer membership in your hire.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I'm a beggar for jumping to conclusions, but better safe than sorry, I think that model Chausson only has 4 seat belts ? I could be wrong, and often am !
Whatever you choose, I hope you have a great time, and my only advice would be to find somewhere where the kids will be happiest. Happy kids = happy holiday !

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Hello and welcome.

Planning a trip is part of the fun. If you use Google maps, once you have an area on the screen, type in 'campsites' and it will return loads of them for you to further explore your options. Enjoy!

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Welcome from Ciren! (y)

Another option is Ferry Meadows near Peterborough. It’s a Caravan & Motorhome Club site so the previous comments about expense would apply……..
Apart from that, it’s a large site surrounded by cycling trails in the Nene Valley Park, flat with easy access to Peterborough should you wish to go there, and it is only a couple of miles off the A1.:cool:

Reactions: JBL
Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
Check out Ukcampsites. We find it excellent for choice with plenty of reviews of the sites

Aug 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
;bigwelcome:

Caravan & camping club have 30% family deals through August but you need to be a member.......soon recoup your membership.

Alternatively 'Camping in the forest" might appeal.

Sep 10, 2019
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer camp c546
Exp
Since 2019
Hi and welcome
Bracelands caravan and camping site, Forest of Dean Coleford Gloucestershire.
great site for walks, cycling.
good luck and ENJOY (y)

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I feel sure the hire company will school you on payload and weight distribution, if not suggest a visit to your local weighbridge, to establish your ability to carry your proposed load, you may need to consider carefully the model and disposable load available.
If you have a C1 entitlement on your license hiring a vehicle with a larger capacity would be wise.
Happy motorhome life, remember it's not a car.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:
We hired a couple of times before buying even though we had been tuggers for over 25 years.

Most hire vans are 3500kg with 3 kids and 2 dogs it will be almost impossible to drive one legally it just won't have enough payload.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back