Hello all advise on what to buy please (1 Viewer)

Paulfy4

Free Member
Aug 21, 2016
Blackpool
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
hi everyone,we are looking at buying our first motor home but only have a budget of about £4000,we are looking at Talbot about 1990 petrol or diesel?? Or fiat ducato,any advise would be greatly appreciated thank you in advance

Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
Hi and sorry to be of no help with your question. :hi:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
P

Paulfy4

Free Member
Aug 21, 2016
Blackpool
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello everyone can't wait to buy our first motor home are they as much fun as they look ??

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
with that budget your going to view a lot of rubbish to find a good one ,took us six months with the same budget but that was nearly ten years ago

OP
OP
P

Paulfy4

Free Member
Aug 21, 2016
Blackpool
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Ok thanks,found some good bargains on eBay but there selling like hot cakes,love to spend more if I had it but unfortunately don't do at the moment,the plan is to buy a cheap one and then find out what we like and don't like,then change it in a year or two

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Beware of bargains on ebay - some are scams (some are genuine of course).

If a listing disappears it could be because someone has reported it as a scam.

I would tend to go for a diesel engine due to better mpg. If you do go for petrol then consider an lpg conversion. Do you have a C or C1 on your license?

OP
OP
P

Paulfy4

Free Member
Aug 21, 2016
Blackpool
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thankyou there has been a few rough ones but a few great ones too

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Also you only have so many "free" posts before you have to pay your subs.......

If you do become a paid member you get discounts. If you see a van you want to look at someone local could either go and check it out for you or go with you.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi and welcome (y) Not much difference between mpg on the old petrol/diesel ones but the diesel are very much more desirable as you can always sell a good engine for around £1000 or more (y)-Make sure there is no damp/smell?and check everything is working as parts are expensive - IE hot water boiler 350 ish heating 500ish fridge 500 you get the drift -good luck on your search and if unsure come back to us with details before you buy (y) advice will be mostly good there are lots of knowledgeable funsters here (y)
terry

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Hi.gif
and a warm welcome from us. We are proud owners of a 1994 Talbot. Had a few issues when we first bought it (nothing major) but that's expected with a second-hand vehicle - you inherit the previous owner's problems. Ours has the 2.5 diesel engine - non turbo - so it's a little slow on steep hills but can match all others on the flat.

As Terry said, check it for damp. Damp can be the death of an old MH as too much damp can be too costly to repair.

If you are not in too much of a hurry you may find that prices drop at the end of the holiday season. Happy hunting!

OP
OP
P

Paulfy4

Free Member
Aug 21, 2016
Blackpool
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Morning all,thanks for the replies,paid my subs and am now an official member,great.

Rob and val going back to the Talbot I really love the look of these homes,are they suitable for longer journeys(south of France etc) also are there any specific layouts we should look for,we will mainly be myself/wife and our 13 yr old son and possibly 20 yr old son too,are they expensive to run,and are they easy to set up when you get on site.

Sorry for all the questions but I am extremely excited haha and cannot wait to get one,also thanks for the tip of waiting till the end of the season to grab a cheaper home,I was thinking if that would be the case

Is there any items I could start picking up now to get ready for when we buy a MH

thanks again for all your replies

Cherrs paul

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Hi, Paul

@Paulfy4, have sent you a private message.

Re longer journeys in an older 'van, in 6 years our Talbot has taken us all over England, Scotland, Wales, Isle of Wight, France, Holland, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany and northern Spain.

As for layout, this is a difficult question to answer as everyone's needs are different. What suits us, travelling as a couple, would not suit you. However, it is extremely important that you get it right, as it is one of the main reasons why new motorhomers change their MHs. It's been said that many will change their MHs three times before they find the layout that's right for them. We were lucky; we got it right first time but that was probably more luck than judgement!

I wouldn't start collecting too much 'stuff' before you buy as you could, as we did, buy a MH from someone who has to give up motorhoming. We did and we got most of what we needed included in the purchase.

However, I would buy a SatNav - it's saved us lots of arguments!

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Hi Paul and a big :welcome3:,glad you have become a full member,you will soon see the benefit.
I have had old,slow MH's back in the day and as long as you allow longer for journeys it's not too bad,you sometimes find you are caught at the same speed as HGV's which can become tiresome.
Also hills seem much longer!!
Never mind you can get some bargains on evilBay or Gumtree as long as you are aware of the scammers.
Good luck with your search and enjoy the forum.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Picked up on one question, you asked if they were easy to set up on a site. The great thing about a motorhome is that 'setting up' consists of parking and perhaps plugging in a ehu lead if hookup is available where you stop (which on the continent especially doesn't have to be a site.)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hello and welcome :WelcomeFlag:and good luck with your search.
Have you read Jims help on buying a MH? It may help you.

OP
OP
P

Paulfy4

Free Member
Aug 21, 2016
Blackpool
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
HI anthea I havent read that,we're do I find it please

Thank you Paul

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
HI anthea I havent read that,we're do I find it please

Thank you Paul
Look at the the blue bar at the top and under resources are lots of items Jims quide to buying a motorhome is down the list.
Sorry I'm on an ipad yours may be different.
Hope that helps!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back