Hello 👋 New member with a self-build camper called Roger. (1 Viewer)

Bikevanhappy

Free Member
Jun 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
3yrs
Hello everyone!

I've finally got round to posting after lurking for a while and thought I'd better introduce myself.

We are a couple, both working full-time and are close to finishing our second self-conversion, Roger, which we have already spent 50 nights in. I say close to finishing, we never actually finished the last one...

We have two weeks off in early September which we were planning to spend cycling in the Alps and watching the Tour, but that's off the cards now so we are thinking - tunnel - non stop to Germany- stay somewhere just across the border - Austria near Innsbruck - Italian Dolomites.

But there's nothing booked at the moment and we are still keeping our options open. I have to admit the change in the weather has made Wales or the Lakes seem less appealing and I suspect it is going to be hard to find nice places to stay with such short notice.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
98636c6ee64925a19858f8a491d300d2 (2).gif

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 31, 2019
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 674
Exp
“ I’m a newbie”
Hi and :welcome4:to the fun,
got back from the lakes on Sunday, we were there for 7 days and the sun shone every day, you might be lucky once schools reopen in Sept so worth looking online (y)

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
We had friends , well not exactly friends, but, eeerrrmm, party friends, they were pheudo interlectual , they owned and ran a news Agentcy Book Shop

They got a Signwriter to paint "ROGER" on the Facia fronting the street, and sat behind their net curtains wetting their knickers every time someone walked by and stopped to ponder the sign.

"ROGER" is of course Victorian for ***k They were telling the street to "enjoy"perhaps?

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Any photos of Roger please? Or have I missed them?

Cherryb

Free Member
Aug 15, 2020
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
Exp
Only been once
:hiya2: And welcome from another newbie all the best with completing this project. And doing 🇩🇪 trip🙏🏿

You said you work full time please may I enquire, how ofen do you get away?🤔

(We haven’t bought yet because we are not sure we can justify the purchase if we don’t get in it often enough)😖

OP
OP
Bikevanhappy

Bikevanhappy

Free Member
Jun 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
3yrs
We bought Roger last spring and have had 52 nights away. Bearing in mind we spent a lot of weekends doing the conversion and then had lock down through this spring that is still a reasonable amount of use. We'd have used it more this summer but everywhere has been busy which has put us off a bit. That said we are about to add another 16 nights away and once things quieten down we'll try to go every other weekend so we are more than happy our purchase was justified.

Having your own van does make it easier to get away. Most of our camping stuff lives in the van. We have a shelf each and a kit bag each which fits on the shelf. If we are going away we pack our bags the night before and when it is time to leave just chuck them on the shelf. Our bike loading faff is now down to a few minutes and then we just need to put milk and cold beer in the fridge and go.
This makes getting away on a Friday straight from work easy. Our biggest issue is a lot of sites (the two big clubs are the worst for this) want you there before 8pm. If you don't get home from work until 6pm that really limits options and adds a degree of stress when you are sitting in a Friday evening traffic jam wondering if you are going to make the cut off. If I'm booking a weekend site, the first thing I ask is "how late can we arrive". Pub sites are usually the best as you can check in at the bar which is usually open until at least 11pm. Obviously if you are intending to wild camp this will be much less of an issue.

Life's what you make it.

Here's Roger on the claimed highest road in Europe. I don't have any current interior ones as we are part way through putting in new flooring.
PSX_20200818_141211.jpg

Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
Stunning view! We bought our van 12 months ago with the intention of spending 6 months converting then start our travelling adventures we were supposed to be off to the Lake District for my wifes 40th last week, but what with covid and other family issues the van is still mid way through the conversion, ever hopeful for a better year in 2021!!!

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Nice van! (Biased, as I'm also converting an L3H3 but with a different badge on the front). It's not been anywhere as pretty as that yet. It's spent most of its life transporting drunks in Carmarthen.

OP
OP
Bikevanhappy

Bikevanhappy

Free Member
Jun 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
3yrs
Cheers all.
Good luck with your conversation cm.

Roger does seem to be a happy smiley van.
PSX_20200820_164712.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back