MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Th
Part 2 jour 40

samedi le 14 octobre

Good evening from Old Romney

Up early with great weather. Usual performance then it was time to pack up and leave. On departure I took advantage of the primitive black and grey waste facilities.

I had plenty of time in hand and followed the D940 along toward Cap Blanc Nez a little zig zag climb in 2nd gear to the top. I stopped before on the preceding downhill and took a few pictures.

View attachment 192066
Pulled over to take the picture. Cap Blanc Nez ahead.

View attachment 192067
The Cap Blanc Nez using a bit of zoom.

I rolled down into Sangatte and as I was still ridiculously early I found somewhere to park up and make a cup of tea.

View attachment 192068
Helen's mobile tea room parked on the way out of Sangatte toward the tunnel.

View attachment 192069
I wanted to stop, I did not want to come back but there are things to do. I can always escape now though and get a little therapy.

The French army were in evidence at the tunnel check in and checking vehicles. I was surprised at how little traffic there was. All camping cars and caravans were checked to ensure gas supplies were turned off. My departure was to be at 1320 but I was called forward and left on the 1250 departure.

Back in England if was straight out onto the M20 and back to base.

I will post some data about the trip over the next day or two.

Sadly that is it for this time. I will definitely be doing a trip again next year and depending on our winter I might pop over before. Helen will not be sold before her replacement has been found and thoroughly gone over. I will not be rushing the process. When all is correct then it will happen and not before. Helen will be a tough act to follow for a lady of her age.

Thanks for following, you can now enjoy the peace.

Part 2 Fin

Clive

I forgot to say, thank you all for your kind words over these last months. I really appreciate all of them. Clive
Thank you again for sharing your travels.

LPB

Aug 19, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
I'm a newbie
Clive,
Thank you for taking the time to post about your travels.
I have really enjoyed reading all of them and have discovered places that I would like to visit.
Looking forward to your next instalment.
Lloyd.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Really enjoyed reading your posts Clive (not forgetting Helen the Hymer)
Look forward to your next journey (y)

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
It’s been great to read about your travels,thank you.

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Helen the Hymer

Summer Tour 2017 Summary

Hello

Here is a summary of my wonderful few months away with Helen the 35 year old Hymer 540 Mercedes. My experience with this wonderful old lady has been the best possible recommendation I could have received to ensure that her replacement comes from the same stable. Her new owner has already been found but he cannot take possession until her replacement has been found and fully checked out. There is no timetable.

The trip was conducted in two parts, this because as you will see she did quite a few kilometres/miles and the recommended service interval would have otherwise been exceeded, not a good idea with a mature lady. The break between the two parts was because of my insistence that certain family affairs should be attended to and I took that opportunity of getting the fridge serviced.

Departure 28 April late pm Eurotunnel 213500 kilomètres
Final return 14 October midday Eurotunnel 222693 kilomètres

Total 009193 kilomètres or 5745.625 miles

Not bad

Fuel consumption gazole essentially a full tank at Eurotunnel Folkestone

Total fuel purchased in litres 1032.14 litres which equals 8.9067 kilomètres per litre average or 25.3285 miles per gallon.

Overnight stops at the following locations

1 Citè Europe (free)
2 Camping Municipal Beausejour, Arqes (payment)
3 Vigy (free)
4 Camping Municipal Abreschviller (payment)
5 Volgelsheim (payment)
6 Hôpitaux Neuf (payment)
7 Fournet Blanche Roche France Passion (meal)
8 Vaufrey (free)
9 Camping Municipal Maîche (payment)
10 Charquemont (free)
11 Maîche (payment)
12 La Maladarie, Montrieux (CH)(payment)
13 Aiguebelle (free)
14 Camping Municipal Briançon (payment)
15 Draguignan (free)(friend)
16 Riez (free)
17 Anduze (free)
18 Villefranche d’Albi Blois (free)
19 Albi (free) parking in city centre next to cathédrale 48 hours max (wake up Britain)
20 Saint Martin sur Lys (free)
21 Mazères sur Sarlat (free)
22 Gardouch (free)
23 Saint Blancard (free)
24 Frontignan Savés (free)(friends)
25 Porte de Bailes (free) Tour de France
26 Frontignan Savés (free)(friends)
27 Saint Blancard (free)
28 Biscarosse Plage (free)
29 Mios (free)
30 Maransin (free)
31 Saint Aubin de Blaye (free)
32 Chaillevette (free)
33 Les Combots (free)
34 Camping Municipal Belle Vue, Mortagne sur Gironde (payment)
35 Chaillevette (free)
36 Mortagne sur Sevre (free)
37 Rillé (free)
38 La Ferté Beaumarais (free)
39 Pithviers (free)
40 Les Loges (free)
41 Noyelles sur Mer (free)
42 Cité Europe (free) end of Part 1, 14 August
43 Noyelles sur Mer (free) beginning part 2, 5 September
44 Caen (free)
45 Ardeney France Passion (drink)
46 Erbray France Passion (more drink)
47 Neuvy au Holme (free)
48 Falaise (free)
49 Le Vaudobin (free)
50 Saint Quentin Des Isles (free)
51 Caen (free)
52 Saint Germain sur Ay (free)
53 Caen (free)
54 Noyelles sur Mer (free)
55 Montreuil sur Mer (free)
56 Wissant (free)

I have to say that in most instances the “free” parking was markedly better than some sites I have paid for in the past. Though it cost nothing to park at these places I ensured that some spending was done in the local community (a lot of it involving trains). I will be making a point of revisiting a number of these locations on next year’s travels as I must buy more wine than I did or visit more frequently (No 45 in particular). It is a shame the attitude in the UK is as it is, still it is for the time being easy to escape!

Switzerland will be timetabled for July next year so I can do the bits I missed out on this year because I was a month early.

Total nights away was 149.

My thanks to all of you that followed this little trip and I hope to amuse you next year.

I imagine the next entry will occur when I have have found Helen’s replacement, I was considering calling her Helga but Ian the Builder has Helga so I am now thinking along the lines of Helena (not very original but the alternate is Hermione (like the boat not Harry Potters friend)).
:wine:
Cheers and if it is not to early already (not according to the shops) Merry Christmas!

Clive

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
@Cleve. Have loved travelling vicariously with you, Clive. Helen the Hymer has done you proud. Her new owner should be delighted with her. Have you considered Heidi as a name for the replacement? It is German and the meaning of the name is noble/kind.

Sep 14, 2017
The Fens
Funster No
MH
Ford Duetto, 1995
Exp
I came late to your travels, but have read quite a few of your blogs, what a smashing time you have had,Hope Helen's new home will carry on enjoying her too.

Looking forward to your Swiss trip.
I had a gorgeous miniature Shetland companion pony for my horse Hera, she was a little sweetheart:

Meanings and history of the name Hera:

Hera - HEH-rah, HEAR-a or HER-a.
From the Greek "heros" meaning hero or warrior.

Greek "Lady protectress" and Maori " Princess" (from Sarah)

Famous real-life people named Hera:
Hera Lind (born Herlind Wartenburg), German author

Hera in song, story & screen:
In Greek mythology, Hera was wife to Zeus and Queen of the Gods. She watched over childbirth and marriage
Hera, a fictional Norwegian Forest Cat kitty character in the story Adventure Wonders. Her bestfriend is name Brittany. She has the nickname "The Norwegian Forest Cat."
Hera Syndulla, character on the animated show "Star Wars: Rebels"

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Good morning and a Merry Christmas (I know I have already said that above) and a Happy and Healthy New Year to you all.

Here is the latest news on Helen the Hymer.

Through this thread you have learned of my purchase of Helen and the fun I have had with her. She was purchased to explore a concept and happily confirmed the concept. Now she is moving on to a new owner who knows of her history but not of her name which will remain with me along with the fond and happy memories.

You will be aware that I have been looking for a later vehicle and some will have seen the couple of ads I put in the wanted section on here for a B574. I withdrew both ads fairly quickly, the first because there was no one offering anything for sale and the second for the same reason plus I had found the replacement.

Since my return in October I have been back and forth to France looking at many disappointing Hymer 574 camping cars. I returned last Thursday from a visit showing a glimmer of hope but not enough for me to buy.
I had been scouring eBay, Gumtree, autotrader and umpteen other sources throughout the period in my search. Friday afternoon I spotted a Hymer which seemed to fit the bill it was not the plan A model but a similar slightly longer one. A friend of mine has been accompanying me on the search (a vehicle examiner) so I called him to see what he thought. Shortly after he called me back and told me he had spoken to the owner and thought it worth a look. We agreed to look at it on Sunday and I telephoned the owner and arranged to view it then. No passports this time as it is near Nottingham.

The visit went well and it was a pleasure to meet the owners. The Hymer was as described on the tin and got the thumbs up from my friend (you should have been at Les Lucs sur Boulogne (Vendée) a week ago Tuesday when he rolled out from beneath one with the most resounding NO I have ever heard). The deal was done and I have arranged to collect her during the first week of January. Once she is back in Kent I will transfer my presence in Helen to her and pass Helen to her new owner.

The new girl is to be called Hecate, she is a Hymer B654 of 2001 vintage. Hecate is on a private plate the significance of which is beyond me and not known to the last owners. When she arrives she will receive a thorough once over to prepare her for travel to France plus one or two other countries leaving mid April. A new column will commence when she arrives.

Thank you for your interest and season's greetings, Clive.

:xgrin::xsmile::xgrin::xsmile::xgrin:

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Glad you've finally found 'your' Hymer, hope you will be very happy together.
We love our Herman, B584!
Happy Christmas to you and good travelling next year.

Sep 14, 2017
The Fens
Funster No
MH
Ford Duetto, 1995
Exp
That's brilliant, I'm so pleased fr you both, now just relax enjoy Christmas and start planning your next adventures :xThumb::xThumb::xThumb:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Looking forward to you new travels with Hecate. That’s a new name to me.
Happy Christmas

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Congratulations Clive look forward to reading your next travels in your “new” Hecate
Happy Christmas to you and happy travels in 2018:xsmile:

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Good evening and a Happy and Healthy 2018 to everyone.

As many of you know I have been looking to replace Helen with a later model since my return from France last October. Much searching of Internet and many, many hundreds of miles (the majority in France) later I have found her. Where did I find her? Near Lincoln! I had got back from France on the Thursday and found her on the internet that evening. I spoke to my engineer friend to see what he thought - before he called me back he telephoned the owner and decided she was worth a look. I visited my friend on the Friday to find out when he would be free to check her over for me then telephoned the owner to arrange a viewing that Sunday (the week before Christmas).

An early start found us at the target site around 1100. The owners, a very pleasant couple and absolutely straight. Barry did the inspection (in the pouring rain) and gave her the thumbs up. We took more coffee and mince pies while discussing price then off for a test drive. All went well and the deal was done. I asked if the owner would be happy for her to remain there until the new year when I would collect her. No problem.

Barry and I returned to Nottinghamshire (another early start) on 3rd January to collect her. The drive back was straightforward with a pit stop at ASDA Grantham for diesel and "lunch" (don't mention the lunch to Barry he was not impressed). We arrived back in Kent at 1900 it was around 340 kilometres with no issues. I was pleased that Tintin's dog Snowy was still in the front where he will remain.

Thursday was a non day, I got to the new girl who I had already decided to call Hecate, quite late so picked up the document wallet and had a quick look round. She was empty - I mean empty.

Friday I evacuated the contents of Helen into my car I had decided that as Hecate was the emptiest she would ever be in my ownership that now would be a good time to put her on the weighbridge.

I visited the weighbridge on Saturday morning and I found that with half a tank of diesel on board I have a payload of 380 kilograms. She does have solar fitted and a number of other items which brought the unladen weight up to 3120 kilograms. Good job it is only me! I will be going on a savage diet.

That done I started to move in making sure to not pack all the items I failed to use on my last trip.

So here is a picture of the two girls together taken just before my trip to the weighbridge yesterday.

image.jpeg

This is effectively closing the Helen the Hymer thread. Helen's new owner was here today with his girl and very happy. He is known to me and I am sure he will look after her. He is also very practical.

I will relish the memories of my travels with Helen for the rest of my days. She proved I wanted to do what I have and intend to continue doing. First impressions of Hecate are very favourable and the new thread will be Hecate the Hymer. I plan departure for around mid April for several months but first I am having some preventative maintenance done which I will follow with a short shake down trip to Northern France for a week or so in February.

Thank you for your support and interest over the last couple of years. Cheers to Helen and thank you. Welcome Hecate the story begins ...

Clive

After I posted this I looked back over the thread and saw that I have already told you most of this. Sorry, definately losing the plot now! Clive

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Your new van looks great. Hope you have many happy trips with her. If you have half as much fun as you have with Helen you will enjoy it immensely,and we shall enjoy reading your reports. Good luck.

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
New thread opening soon under the title Hecate. Travels delayed due the passing of close friends and respect for them. I hope not to lose any more for a while!

Departure estimated mid May.

Thank you Clive

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
New thread opening soon under the title Hecate. Travels delayed due the passing of close friends and respect for them. I hope not to lose any more for a while!

Departure estimated mid May.

Thank you Clive
Sorry to hear about your sorrows .Hang on to lovely memories.
However I'm looking forward to your travels in the lovely new shiney Hecate!

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Sorry to hear of the passing of your close friends Clive.....like Anthea I also look forward to reading of your travels in Hecate

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Hecate - great name Clive (you weren't "Survey Navy" by any chance? HMS Hecate was a Survey ship when I was in the RN) you also thought of the name Hermione - HMS Hernione was a Leander class Frigate in my time so is there a RN connection with you Clive?:)

We are on the night ferry Portsmouth- St Malo on 18th may for 5 or 6 weeks wandering around France - following the sun!! :)

Actually hopefully finding the sun :cautious:

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Thank you all for your kind words. I am pleased to report they had a good innings but hope no one else intends to shuttle off until I return around October time.

Plans have had to be revised a number of times but worth it for good people.

Hecate was chosen as unlikely to be duplicated, I had considered Hermione after the French frigate but went for Hecate after an engine built for the Kent & East Sussex Railway a long long time ago. Once I had decided there was no going back!

My original plans had been to leave end of March and see Hermione at Sète on the Mediterranean but that fell by the wayside. Next was mid April but alas, then beginning of May but you now know mid May. I hope I have not been some sort of catalyst!

No cast iron plans this time other than various stages of the TDF and being in Switzerland when the steam mountain railways are operating. I had intended to visit Greece but it sounds like the temperatures will be very high by the time I would get there so think I will postpone that until next year Spring and work backwards.

Thanks again.

Clive

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back