Heki roof light shock (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
Over 6000 miles between 3 March to 26 September 2017.
Just been up to check Lottie in storage after the bad weather. On the surface everything looked fine, I looked up to open the blind on the Heki roof light and it was all "pushed down" and had come out of the runners at the side. I feared the worst, that maybe the roof light had somehow smashed and the blind was full of either snow or water. It felt dry on the inside and I tentatively pushed up on it, there was no resistance. It was only at this point that I noticed it had come out of the runners so I carefully pushed it back in at each side. Thankfully the creased pleats went back into place, apart from a couple which I just pushed up. On opening the blind we could see no reason for this happening, the roof light was intact and firmly closed. I can only imagine it was something to do with the pressure of the snow on the outside. Has anyone else ever experienced this. The other two smaller roof lights over the bedroom and shower room were fine.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Just been up to check Lottie in storage after the bad weather. On the surface everything looked fine, I looked up to open the blind on the Heki roof light and it was all "pushed down" and had come out of the runners at the side. I feared the worst, that maybe the roof light had somehow smashed and the blind was full of either snow or water. It felt dry on the inside and I tentatively pushed up on it, there was no resistance. It was only at this point that I noticed it had come out of the runners so I carefully pushed it back in at each side. Thankfully the creased pleats went back into place, apart from a couple which I just pushed up. On opening the blind we could see no reason for this happening, the roof light was intact and firmly closed. I can only imagine it was something to do with the pressure of the snow on the outside. Has anyone else ever experienced this. The other two smaller roof lights over the bedroom and shower room were fine.
It could have been wind pressure in the recent high winds. They recommend that you don't drive with the roof blinds closed for this reason (I had endless fun getting the pleated bit back into place) and the effect of high winds could have been similar. Just a thought.

No doubt someone will be along shortly to tell me that I'm wrong....

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
It could have been wind pressure in the recent high winds. They recommend that you don't drive with the roof blinds closed for this reason (I had endless fun getting the pleated bit back into place) and the effect of high winds could have been similar. Just a thought.

No doubt someone will be along shortly to tell me that I'm wrong....

I must say I never heard that one before''Don't drive with roof blinds closed''. Never had a problem in all the years.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I must say I never heard that one before''Don't drive with roof blinds closed''. Never had a problem in all the years.
I found the problem with my auto sleeper - it was in the paperwork somewhere but I cannot remember where I read it. After two incidents where the blind had blown out of the channel, I decided just to open the blind by about an inch or so and never had the issue again, so always do it now, if coming out of storage where it lives with the blinds shut. Only happened with the big one

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
At the handover of both my mohos from different dealers I was told never to drive with the blinds shut.

Some rooflights are deliberately not sealed when they are fully shut, so as to allow for ventilation. If that is the case with yours then wind pressure as suggested by @DuxDeluxe is the likely culprit.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
We were staying on a CL mid winter & during a storm the bling on our Heki roof did exactly the same thing. Pushed it back into shape & into the runners with no ill effects.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Agree, wind pressure - mine has done it when parked up on a particularly stormy day. The rooflights aren't perfectly sealed to allow for a little "trickle" ventilation, as others have said.

OP
OP
Diggerdi
Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
That must be what it was then, we have had some extremely high winds over the last few days. We never drive with any of the blinds closed, but always close them all at the storage yard. It seems silly closing the roof blinds, but we have a cctv camera directly above our moho and once I forgot when I used the loo whilst there :oops:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
That must be what it was then, we have had some extremely high winds over the last few days. We never drive with any of the blinds closed, but always close them all at the storage yard. It seems silly closing the roof blinds, but we have a cctv camera directly above our moho and once I forgot when I used the loo whilst there :oops:
I believe also you shouldn't keep blinds fully closed in direct sunlight as the heat buildup can damage the rooflight.

OP
OP
Diggerdi
Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
I believe also you shouldn't keep blinds fully closed in direct sunlight as the heat buildup can damage the rooflight.

Don't think we've had any hot sunshine since we got it 12 months ago!

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Gusts of very high wind does it.

Our solutuon is to leave the blind a few inches open, to allow air forced into the roof light by big gusts of wind to pass the blind.

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
winds, and heat i have found do it on ours!!, they just push back up, worrying first time it happens tho!

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
There's a sticker on my large rooflight that says not to leave closed during the day or for long periods.

I never use them anyway no one can see in them

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
There's a sticker on my large rooflight that says not to leave closed during the day or for long periods.

I never use them anyway no one can see in them

good point, our dealer said not too completely shut the blinds (only 75% or so cloesed) if hot as that would happen, amazing what you forget so soon lol........

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp

You must have a different setup to us Dianne as ours are all fully sealed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back