LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Just battening down the hatches before the storm hits - it is getting pretty gusty here in Salisbury.

Obviously I have wound the awning in but, as it is still quite warm, I would like to leave the Heiki open for as long as possible.

Never having had one before, is it vulnerable too?

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
The one over my bed - will flip up to fully open if it’s too windy and the wind is from rear of moho to front...
In fact it has previously snapped one of the hinge pins...
It will only lock in the mid position.. which is a tad naff if its raining...

The “push-up” over the kitchen is fine...

If The wind is from the rear... i will open the two side windows if necessary..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Shut them all, I once saw a gust of wind pick up an awning on a Hymer parked next to me and easily wrap it over the top of the motorhome, shearing one of the brackets and bending the legs.

If it can do that, it can easily lift any of them and shear them too.

If it's fresh air you're thinking of, then maybe slide open a window on the lea side of the storm. :)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Never having had one before, is it vulnerable too?

Never ever underestimate the wind......................

JohnM1.JPG
JohnM2.JPG

lozbou

Free Member
Sep 29, 2016
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
try opening the cab windows you get a nice through draft along with the small kitchen roof vent.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Shut them all, I once saw a gust of wind pick up an awning on a Hymer parked next to me and easily wrap it over the top of the motorhome, shearing one of the brackets and bending the legs.

If it can do that, it can easily lift any of them and shear them too.

Ahem, there’s a big difference in the surface area (and hence the force/lift generated) between an Awning and a roof light.

For the same wind speed, there’d be a noticeable difference on the impact on each?

Ian

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
2D43C961-842A-4E3B-BEA5-06B99D70A68E.jpeg
29D50C11-8D7F-4738-8BD6-9EA73BDF1671.jpeg
To avoid our Heki 2 rooflight blowing open in the wind and also to stop anyone lifting it up to gain entry I pushed a small plastic strip into the groove and it works very well.

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Definitely close it. We had one ripped off and broken by a freak gust of wind while parked at home. It was closed and I thought I'd engaged the latch, but I wouldn't swear to it. Easily fixed, but £90 out of pocket.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Ahem, there’s a big difference in the surface area (and hence the force/lift generated) between an Awning and a roof light.

For the same wind speed, there’d be a noticeable difference on the impact on each?

Ian
You're absolutely right, the wind will pay close attention to the surface area of a rooflight, silly me. Leave them open is my suggestion, only not on my van they won't be.

Definitely close it. We had one ripped off and broken by a freak gust of wind while parked at home. It was closed and I thought I'd engaged the latch, but I wouldn't swear to it. Easily fixed, but £90 out of pocket.
Seen this too, think some poor folk even posted the damage on YouTube. Unpredictable nature at its best/worst.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
You're absolutely right, the wind will pay close attention to the surface area of a rooflight, silly me.

Silly me, forgetting that wind is a free thinking body! I really must go back to school.

I like your approach with sarcasm; I hope you like mine. ;)

Ian

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
If theres going to be a storm i would close all the roof vents.

We have had rain blow in and one year in Mazzaron there were a few who got caught out and had smashed roof vents.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back