Heiki roof light. Re-tensioning blind (1 Viewer)

Ian T

Free Member
Mar 20, 2008
NR19 NORFOLK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt and Hightop
Exp
MHomes and tugging =40 yrs
Autosleeper Symbol, 2000 model. Now the weather started to improve, thought I would try out the Heiki (or Heki) roof ventilator for the first time. Pulled the fly screen out ok, and returned it. Pulled the blind across and TWANG. The spring lost tension, and i was left holding all the blind material in my hand. The edges looked a bit crumpled, so i would guess that previous owner had problem. I unscrewed the plastic cover plate on the inside edge of the blind to expose the blind and roller. I managed to roll the fabric back onto the roller, but could not work out how to tension the spring etc, as I couldn't acess the end of the roller. The cover plate that I removed I found was cracked where it beds to fit the corner (not new, and the securing screws had obviously been taken out before because one was very loose). From what I could see at the rear end of the roller (Left facing) the bracket holding it looked as if it didn't have a top to it, so may be broken. It looks as if I may have to remove the rest of the side panelling to give me access to the roller blind, re-tension it by winding up the spring from the end, (if I remember right) and then slot the roller back into position, tensioned. If the securing bracket is found to be broken and not capable of securing the roller blind, does anyone know if spares are available, or is it going to be a complete Heiki replacement.
Sorry this dragged out a bit, but I just hoped that it means something to that most knowledgeable guy out there, who knows just what to do, and his mates of course. Thanks for your time :cry::cry::Blush:

adventure

Free Member
Oct 16, 2007
somerset
Funster No
Exp
25 years
Hi Ian

You have to drop the whole frame down to access the blind, once you have the blind down it is quite plain how to get the roller out, you may find the spring has come off the pin inside the roller

nick

OP
OP
I

Ian T

Free Member
Mar 20, 2008
NR19 NORFOLK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt and Hightop
Exp
Heiki

Thanks for that information Nick. :thumb: That's what I was afraid of. :Sad: I was hoping that I wouldn't have to disturb the other end, as I dont want to end up with 2 roller blind problems. Would you happen to know if spare parts are available for these units, if the plastic holder for the roller is found to have been broken?
Ian T

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

adventure

Free Member
Oct 16, 2007
somerset
Funster No
Exp
25 years
Hi Ian

You won't have to disturb the other roller when you get the frame down you will see two small screws holding one end of the blind. You can undo these and prise the blind roller out, it is a bit fiddly, then pull the spring end out of the roller I expect the spring has just unwound off the threaded fixing, it is more obvius when you see it, you should not need any new parts as there is very little to break

nick

OP
OP
I

Ian T

Free Member
Mar 20, 2008
NR19 NORFOLK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt and Hightop
Exp
My thanks again Nick. I will have a look and let you know how I get on.
Ian T

OP
OP
I

Ian T

Free Member
Mar 20, 2008
NR19 NORFOLK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt and Hightop
Exp
Heki Repair

Hi,
Nick I said I would keep you informed. I took the base off as you sugested, and all was revealed. The bracket that should hold the flat end of the centre rod for the roller had snapped off at one side of the slot. The continuos use of the roller had frayed the edge slightly, leaving what was almost cotton wool wound around the spindle. I will have to decide which of 3 options would be best.
1) New base plate, minus springs, blinds etc which are useable
2) Make up a small bracket and try and fix it onto the existing broken bracket
3) Try and find a STRONG adhesive, that would hold the small broken piece back onto the damaged bracket, but if the original was snapped off, this may not be a sensible option, because of the tension.
I'm thinking that the expensive, but best idea will be a new base. :Sad:
Unless anyone knows better ......:pray:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

P

paulmarriott

Deleted User
Heiki Roof Lights

Can anyone help with a Heiki Roof Light problem. At present I am unable to open my roof light more than a few degrees. It appears to be a seized gas strut causing the jam. I would like to know, a) Are these removable, if so, how? and b) Are spares available anywhere.
The problem is fairly urgent as we plan a trip to south of France in a couple of weeks.:Doh:

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I have nver known a gas stut sieze, the struts are usually removed by removing a wire clip that fits arround the ball joint. The ball joint will then come appart. You should be able to see the wire clip in the picture

Andy

Attachments

• B Joint.jpg
    B Joint.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries