herbies

Free Member
Apr 17, 2013
somewhere in south devon
Funster No
MH
hymer b694
Exp
can anyone help please. I am thinking of putting a roof box on the top of my Hymer. this will put the overall height at 310 cm would this be ok for continental travel (bridges etc or any laws.
thanks

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
vehicles over 3m need a height sticker inside the cab where the driver can see it . go to a truck place they sell the correct size ones for pence.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I am obsessed with looking at the heights of bridges, convinced I'm going to come badly unstuck!
Not seen a bridge under 3.1 in France unless it is VERY well signed in advance.
Just look out for underpasses and anything that has those plastic strips hanging over the road!

My last motorhome was 3.25 with top box and although I never got to use it much I got up and down through France Ok.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp

Attachments

• Max Dimension 2.jpg
    Max Dimension 2.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 30
Upvote 0

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Remember that you go from category 2 to 3 on the autoroute, so this will cost around 20% more in tolls.

Many small ferries have limits at 3m as well.

Upvote 0

voyagerstan

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
torquay sometimes
Funster No
MH
library bus (ford voyager
Exp
since1976
Remember that you go from category 2 to 3 on the autoroute, so this will cost around 20% more in tolls.

Many small ferries have limits at 3m as well.

not quite right abou t motorway tolls it depends on weight and wether you have twin or single wheels . as for height our van is 3.3mt never had aproblem most low bridges are sign well in advance . as alan said sticker in van height width and lenth sorted .:winky::winky: stan

Upvote 0

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I am not 100% sure put i think the height for the french motorway tolls,
Is the height of the motorhome at the very front point.
So if the beam checks the height as you enter the toll both, if thats under 3mt its ok.

Upvote 0

voyagerstan

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
torquay sometimes
Funster No
MH
library bus (ford voyager
Exp
since1976
I am not 100% sure put i think the height for the french motorway tolls,
Is the height of the motorhome at the very front point.
So if the beam checks the height as you enter the toll both, if thats under 3mt its ok.

not sure about that cos never go on french m/ways n roads just as good and see more of france. :france: stan

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
The only time height has come into it is when using automatic booths at tolls stations.
It will read you height and put you in truck catagory, charging you extra.
People have advised that if this does happen you press the assistance button and tell them you are a camping car and they amend it..

Ref weight, I have always had vans over 3500kg with single rear wheels. Always charged as class 2 because in reality no one can tell unless they inspect the plate.
Twin wheels and twin axles is something they do look out for..

Upvote 0

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
not sure about that cos never go on french m/ways n roads just as good and see more of france. :france: stan

And you are correct

Last year i spent nearly €5 on tolls broke my heart:ROFLMAO:

But very easy for me retired.

I understand if you only have a few weeks holiday and want to get there a s a p.

Mel

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp

One thing not mentioned is that ever few hundred yards/ metres there is a roundabout you do not get over third gear milage costs are higher , the time to get from A to B is far longer
You may drive through beautiful villages but its not a relaxing drive
Sharp edged gullies on the road edge to fall in too :Eeek:

Give me the French motorway every day now far less stressful quicker and safer for the majority of motorhome drivers

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Over in sunny France at the moment 26 around the pool, on coast near Narbonne! We used a mix of autoroutes and national roads to get here,all toll booths have been unmanned and my mh is over 3.5 t however not a tag,getting charged classe 2.Must be assessed by the camera operator.
Found the national roads great most straight as an arrow and just as easy to keep my average speed. Thanks for the advice on routes,and found that great aire next to the Loire with the playground and meadow ,a free one recommended by Tonka.

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i agree with stan . we try never to use toll roads ,then m,ways ,even dual carriageways if there is a smaller road to take .
its not a race . look at the village life . collect your water . see the beauty of rural life .
its not always true that m,ways are short cuts they often drift all over the place .
have an adventure , you get there when you get there ,maybe somewhere else.
one m,way is like another to me . driven thousands of miles on them at work . much prefer the country roads .

Upvote 0
Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
We carry a kayak on our roof which makes us 3.4mtr and travel the continent lots.
have never had a problem with low bridges - most are at least 4m and if not then is usually signposted well in advance.
We are >3500kg and tag axle so on motorways if it is an automatic toll we always get a ticket for class 4 and just press the button then say "camping car" and it's always been amended, in manual tolls we've always just been charged camping car.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back