LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Useful tip? Long story! Bear with me.

We've not used our Fiat based Chausson much of late for various reasons but to get back into the swing of touring we set off for the Western Isles, along with the hottest weather forecast of the year.

All went well until we cooled ourselves off with the aircon. Light on, pump whirring, no cold air. The van is 10 years old so a re-gas is due. Well, we probably don't need it for Scotland but so many places offer re-gassing now we're sure to come across one.

Halfords in Kendal not only offer the service but also sell a re-gassing kit. But the very helpful man said it didn't include Fiats, odd fittings. No matter, we're sure to come across another one.

Do they have air-con in Scotland? I admit we didn't go far from our planned route and we only went by the advertising outside but we saw nothing. On Skye at a petrol station we asked the chap at the till, blank look. He asked his mate, blanker look. Never heard of it.

So onto Harris & Lewis (that well known double act) having given up all hope, we'll wait till we get home. But in the local paper is an ad for the very thing. We have to visit Stornoway to find a vet - a different long story- so we call in. Yes they do re-gas. They can book us in for 4 days later. We're touring so we can always call back in. No-where is too far from anywhere else on the islands.

I give my address to book in and "you're on holiday, wait a minute".

The receptionist persuaded a mechanic to drop what he was doing. Within 5 minutes the van was being driven into a bay, we were sitting in reception with a coffee and wifi, and the dog did her rug impersonation in the middle of the floor. Within the hour we were gassed up, email answered and all apps up to date.

It might have cost a little more than at a quick-fit type place but then it was a main dealer. The service was excellent. The receptionist suggested that they were motorhomers themselves and always willing to help out. They are Lavas Garage of Marybank, Stornaway.

As for our tour, a mix of tame wild spots and sites for showers. When the sun shines the beaches are Caribbean - when it rains it's Scotland. Well worth the visit.
Now to fix the roof.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back