Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
Hi funsters

In preparation for our trip to the white stuff :Smile:, looking for a nice shop that sells good, strong snowchains :thumb:. We've used "cheaper" chains on several occasion, and they only seems to last about three uses. These are the chains that usually cost around £50. I want something with stronger links etc.

So, if you have had the pleasure of obtaining a good strong set please let me know details.

thanks
Rog

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
forgive me if I'm wrong but it sounds as though you ain't using them correctly if they only last a few uses.

only put them on if theres a REAL danger of getting stuck, not just if you think you might get stuck.

remove them at the first opportunity and done use on thin snow...steel and tarmac aren't the best of Friends...and tarmac wins in the long run.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Is that a terrorist posing as pappajohn :Eeek::Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
RogerIvy
Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
forgive me if I'm wrong but it sounds as though you ain't using them correctly if they only last a few uses.
Only put them on if theres a REAL danger of getting stuck, not just if you think you might get stuck.
Remove them at the first opportunity and done use on thin snow...steel and tarmac aren't the best of Friends...and tarmac wins in the long run.

We've actually only used them when we've been stuck - which is when the forces exerted on them would be the greatest as we've tried to get unstuck. Only once or twice has it not been possible to put them on real snug, and we've driven for very short distances (measured in yards).
I've been with someone that used chains on 4x4's in Bulgaria where we drove for about a mile. Again, these were cheap chains. At the end of that drive there was some damage.
I've also been in a people carrier attempting to go up a steep incline (fairly deep snow). The chains started to break up, but he was punishing them.

The cheap chains seem to have weak points here and there. As you pointed out, it's possible that we abused them. However, you're not going to use chains on a nice flat dry tar road. In my thinking (and I'm not a boffin on this), chains are to get us out of trouble as well as helping to not get into trouble in the first place. As such we could expect them to take punishment. I guess it depends on where you go, and we do tend to be adventurous.

I think (and I'm hoping) that it's a matter of cheap 'n nasty....I get what I pay for.
Thats why I want to spend some decent money to see if I can get a decent set that doesn't have weak points. I've never used good quality chains - always the cheap type that you buy at a filling station in Europe.

Rog

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
never used 'em or had need, always got unstuck using an old driving technique...if i cant get up a hill i turn round and go a different route :roflmto:...but it just struck me if you used them when there wasn't enough ice/compacted snow, they would wear out quickly.

never meant to imply you didnt know what you were doing...only what you MAY be doing. :thumb:

bigmillie

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Camberley Surrey
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Classic C class
Exp
On/off since 1966
This Ebay Shop sells commercial snow chains for Hgv/Lgv :Smile:

Link Removed

Got a set for my Old Girl not fitted as yet

Regards Charles

Attachments

• 140.jpg
    140.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 8

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I spent a good chunk of my working life (chained up) in the old Bulgy,Rumania and Turkey,but that was in a HGV and rear wheel drive.
I see that your MH is front wheel drive and that maybe explains why your chains are not lasting very long.For snow chains to work properly they nead to be on a rear wheel drive vehicle,with plenty of weight bearing down on them.The last set I bought was in Andora and they were heavy duty,with a heavy duty pricetag to go with them.They were made to fit local buses and fitted my RV perfectly as its on 19.5 tyres.Front wheel drive motorhomes are not the best thing to put chains on as most of the weight is on the trailing axels,thats why they are not good on wet grass either.
Sorry I cant be of any further help with your search,but I dont think you will have much success with snowchains on front wheel drive.

kickstart

Free Member
Dec 13, 2008
south yorkshire, Benidorm
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
4 years
Hi Rog, we have the same problem we are off to Germany next Friday (god willing) and snow chains being compulsory over there,will need to purchase a set but after googleing snow chains, have found a company not too far from the chanel tunel that hire them out quite reasonably,we are front wheel drive as well but if they are a legal requirement what can we do ? bigest problem seems to be getting out of South Yorkshire :roflmto:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
While on the subject of snow chains are they legal in the UK?
They are not only legal in the UK,but are compulsary in some EU countries in some months of the year.

OP
OP
RogerIvy
Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
never meant to imply you didnt know what you were doing...only what you MAY be doing

Thing is pappajohn, I don't really know - that's why I have a hundred and one theories.
I've only been in Europe since 2003, previously in Zimbabwe (Zimbabwe hasn't seen snow in living history) so I know much about mud, sand, thorns and sharp tree stumps but very little about ice 'n snow. So feel free to tell me where my thinking is wrong so I have the luxury of learning from other people's experience without having to make all my own mistakes. :thumb: All the people I've shared my snowchain experiences with were learning as they went along like me.

I guess my current theory is: if I get a good quality set and still damage it then it proves that I never knew what I was doing all along. :Eeek:

Given all the *silly* degrees that one can study at universities, maybe we should suggest a "Batchelor of Snowchains" (BoSc) to teach ignorant people like me. :Smile:

OP
OP
RogerIvy
Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
For snow chains to work properly they nead to be on a rear wheel drive vehicle,with plenty of weight bearing down on them.
Front wheel drive motorhomes are not the best thing to put chains on as most of the weight is on the trailing axels,thats why they are not good on wet grass either.

Ah - I think you've made a good point here. Not much weight but the "ripping forces" quite high as the thin chains take so much strain as the wheel tries to spin. I'm probably abusing them - but when it's a choice between getting out and not getting out I'm quite happy to damage some chains as long as I don't damage my van.

When I finally get my hands on a good quality set and if I try them out I'll re-post to share my experiences.

Rog

OP
OP
RogerIvy
Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi Rog, we have the same problem we are off to Germany next Friday (god willing) and snow chains being compulsory over there,will need to purchase a set but after googleing snow chains, have found a company not too far from the chanel tunel that hire them out quite reasonably,we are front wheel drive as well but if they are a legal requirement what can we do ? bigest problem seems to be getting out of South Yorkshire :roflmto:

Can you send me details please kickstart?
I wonder what their conditions are ... might discover that even moderate use and you have to pay extra for the scratches etc.

Getting out of Yorkshire is easy - it's downhill to anywhere from there! ::bigsmile:
(We lived in Penistone 2003-2004 within site of those big windmills)

Rog

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
www.snowchains.co.uk speak to these people in Borough Green Kent - not far off the motorway - they sell and rent snow chains to fit all vehicles - there are different patterns and link sizes for different uses - IMHO it is worth getting the chunkiest form availableas they can be used it mud - this company also keep spares and can supply you or repair your chains if worn or damaged

Reference the use of snow chains - many people I talk to seem to forget that you should limit your speed when you have chains on - they are a means of getting you out of the brown stuff not intended to allow you to drive normally if you do you will ruin the chains and your tyres. As already said Tarmac destroys chains - just like putting them on an angle grinder

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
This Ebay Shop sells commercial snow chains for Hgv/Lgv :Smile:

Link Removed

Got a set for my Old Girl not fitted as yet

Regards Charles
:Smile::Smile: these are the best a good 70% of eu lorrys have them as stadard kit and work brill,,as you found out the brit/china ones are u/s,cheap made and not much cop,,i would not buy on flea bay as they are prob cheap china imports,, if you want snow wonders or good ones with garentee go to ,,, volvo,,or truck dealers, they wont be cheap but they will be good,,i have used chains all oaver eu mainly/ fr/italy ger/aus hopes this helps or p/m me:thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back