Heating? (1 Viewer)

Jan 1, 2018
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 DL +
Exp
since 2017
Hello, this is my first post and new to motor homing. We’re proud owners of a Knaus Van ti which we bought just before Christmas. After having an almost non-existent hand-over and an all German handbook, I’ve picked up a few things with google translate, but mostly from the wealth of knowledge on this forum. I’ve already fitted an under-chassis spare wheel holder and the great guys at Autogas 2000 have fitted us with refillable gas bottles.

I’m lucky enough to be able to hook up to the electric on my drive where it’s parked and it has it’s tank and boiler currently drained whilst not being used.

I have a question which I guess is basic, but don’t want to make any expensive mistakes!

I want to leave the air blown heating on low and keep things charged on hook up, but can I use the heating if the tanks are drained? I won’t have the water heater on, so I’m thinking the air blown heating will be fine, but thought I’d ask someone first!

Many thanks

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
If it's Truma then you can use it on electric with no water .. but to be honest if you want to keep it above freezing inside then get a cheap (decent brand) oil filled radiator and leave that on.
We do and it's pretty cheap to run and means it never freezes in the van .. whilst preserving the on board heating system.
We don't drain down either but that's a judgement call.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Dont leave the Truma on for extended periods, they arent built to do that and will wear out in no time.

Leave the van drained, taps open , pump off and nice and cold. This way you wont have condensation, but heat it and when hot meets cold you get condensation/damp.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
W
Jan 1, 2018
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 DL +
Exp
since 2017
Thanks for the good advice, both of you. I guess as I’ve drained it already, I’ll leave it that way.
I’ve got a moisture trap tabs in the van to help keep the damp out.
I’ve read different views on leaving it permanently hooked up to the electric anyway, so I’ll just hook it up from time to time to keep it charged.

Cheers

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
just be aware, your insurance probably won't cover a portable heater if it goes on fire..

I know Comfort don't and I also checked with Safeguard >>

their reply >>

In response to your query I can confirm that we would not cover any damage caused by a heater left in the vehicle when not in use.

If you would like to discuss this or any other matter further then please don't hesitate to contact me on either of the numbers below.

Kind regards

James O'Leary

Safeguard Service Team Leader

Drain van down .. leave EHU on to keep batters charged .. no heating required...

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I do leave the Truma on 8degs full time in the drive when really cold as the blown air circulates all the lockers and double floor.
I am sure full timers leave it on all the time in winter so the truma should take the strain no problem.
Oil filled rads are ok but won't circulate everywhere.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I do leave the Truma on 8degs full time in the drive when really cold as the blown air circulates all the lockers and double floor.
I am sure full timers leave it on all the time in winter so the truma should take the strain no problem.

Thats not what Truma says, and they should know

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
In response to people saying not to leave heaters on in the van. Again it's a judgement call and as long as frost precautions have been taken then a heater is obviously not required.
But
We use the van on and off throughout the winter and I personally can't stand entering a icy cold van.
The fire risk of leaving a small (decent brand) oil filled radiator on are probably no higher than the risk of an electrical fire whilst on hook up surely.... negligible.
As for insurance .. im with comfort I've discovered and I can't see any warnings about leaving a heater on whilst unnocupied. But I accept what you say. I guess that means you can't leave the vans heating on either.
Personaly im going to continue to leave a small oil filled radiator on in the van over winter... for the reasons above.
Also... we use the same small oil filled rad when on hook up on snowy sites in winter wether here or abroad (amperage allowing) . Its positioned at the front of the van behind the swivelled seats and counters the colder area at that end nicely. (Its also left on when we leave the van).
Anyone considering this though should be aware of @scotjimland warning.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
The thing is, everything has a lifespan, it's OK to use the van's heating if you want I'm sure. But I know I would certainly be happier reducing the lifespan of a £12 oil filled radiator than an extremely expensive and difficult to source van component.
But it's absolutely your choice (y)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I guess full timers could be in trouble then .
Would you buy a van that has been used long term by a full timer?
so what do truma say ? dont use it?
They say the system is not designed for long term use. I asked about the feature on the CP plus panel where you can just run the fan as a cooling system in summer and was told that to do this would shorten the life of the fan and was not advised.
tis was told to me directly by the Truma engineer (at Truma UK HQ) who repaired my boiler It is not hearsay or my opinion.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Would you buy a van that has been used long term by a full timer?

They say the system is not designed for long term use. I asked about the feature on the CP plus panel where you can just run the fan as a cooling system in summer and was told that to do this would shorten the life of the fan and was not advised.
tis was told to me directly by the Truma engineer (at Truma UK HQ) who repaired my boiler It is not hearsay or my opinion.

Never considered it , normally buy new.
Seems a shame that Truma produce a product with such limitations , this is after all the age of space stations, and supersonic aircraft and self driving cars. :rolleyes:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Just read my Truma Combi(E) CP plus ready Operating Instructions front to back and no mention of such limitations.
I will follow those instructions :D

Fermenter

Free Member
Sep 6, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2012
Welcome to the forum. We use an oil filled radiator rather than the Truma.

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
just be aware, your insurance probably won't cover a portable heater if it goes on fire..

I know Comfort don't and I also checked with Safeguard >>

their reply >>

In response to your query I can confirm that we would not cover any damage caused by a heater left in the vehicle when not in use.

If you would like to discuss this or any other matter further then please don't hesitate to contact me on either of the numbers below.

Kind regards

James O'Leary

Safeguard Service Team Leader

Drain van down .. leave EHU on to keep batters charged .. no heating required...

Can you add further advice to the above please?

What is the definition of, "when not in use"? Can such heaters be used at all without the risk of insurance becoming void?

Do the same insurance limitations apply to such heaters being used unattended in the home?

Do the insurance limitations apply to other equipment used in the van such as slow cookers, fans, video recorders, clocks, battery chargers, etc?

Is using the Truma heating system permitted when the van is not in use or does this void the insurance too?

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Can you add further advice to the above please?

What is the definition of, "when not in use"? Can such heaters be used at all without the risk of insurance becoming void?

Do the same insurance limitations apply to such heaters being used unattended in the home?

Does the insurance limitations apply to other equipment used in the van such as slow cookers, fans, video recorders, clocks, battery chargers, etc?

Is using the Truma heating system permitted when the van is not in use or does this void the insurance too?

I asked my insurer about leaving a portable electric heater in my van overnight at home, unattended.. would it be insured if it caused a fire..

I posted what they said.

For any other questions or clarification I suggest you contact your insurer

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We have alwys kept the vans in storage, no hook up, solar to keep batteries topped up and alarm operational. Leave moisture traps in over winter, nothing at all in the traps so far. this van has deisel heating so can be used in transit, doesn't take long to warm the van up and often is switched off when we are ready to set off. last van was truma but also had a gas fire. fire on whilst packing up checking we had everything then switched off and awaywe went, rain hail or snow. we were sometimes lucky enough to get sunshine and no heating was required. Have had no issues with damp or condensation. we do use the van as often as we can though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back