Heating went off during freezing night, ideas why please? (1 Viewer)

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
We're busy reorganising our bedroom & I decided to bunk down in the motorhome last night, with my trusty border collie in tow.
We've had a lot of snow recently & very low overnight temperatures, but that didn't worry me. I wandered (well slid out) at 10pm last night & turned the gas fire on along with the blown air fan. Bedtime I went out to the van which (yr 2000 Autosleeper Executive) was toasty & hot. I turned the blow air off along with the gas part of the heater which I popped over to electric & settled down. Hazel describes me as "the human radiator" & as such I don't like being too hot at night.
Fast forward to 5 am I woke up with a hand out from under the duvet which I pulled in & nearly jumped out of my skin, my hand was bloody freezing. The electric part of the heating had gone off!! Even the poor dog was on the bed & cuddled in for warmth.
Now I don't know why. I haven't been out to look yet but the light was showing on for the electric part of the Truma heating. I just popped it over to gas again & shot back below the duvet, I noticed that even the dogs water bowl had ice in it that wasn't there at bedtime.
The electric heating was working the ok the night before, so now I need to track down what has gone wrong?
Any idea's folks?

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
1. Look at the circuit breakers on the 240v box to see if one has tripped. 2. Is there a 12v control circuit for the 240v on a Truma

Malcolm

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Mrs A....kidd was feeling lonely in the hoose so turned aff the hook-up.:xwink: Obviously, her lumber hudnae turned up and she was tryin tae entice second best back intae the hoose fur a cuddle!xroll:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
not unknown for the element to burn out, especially after a few years of use. they dont last forever

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Could be it's just too cold. We find that once the outside air temperature drops below 5ºC the electric element isn't enough and we need to boost it with gas or a fan heater.

Oct 25, 2016
Ashford
Funster No
MH
Frankia A 680
Exp
Since Oct 2016
I've always kept the fan running with the heating on - is it possible that the electric element overheated without the airflow of the fan and tripped a thermal cut out?

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
As above thermal cut out it hapend on my heater
bill

OP
OP
ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
As above thermal cut out it hapend on my heater
bill

It still won't power up tonight Bill, 230v getting to it alright, so I'm thinking that the element might have given up the ghost. It'd only been left on at a low setting as I don't care too much for a hot bedroom, so I didn't think that the thermal cut out had kicked in.
I have changed one in the past before, so looks like I'll be browsing about for a new element.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back