Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
My boiler wouldn't work over the weekend when connected to EHU.

It worked off the gas though.

Everything else electrical worked.

Any ideas what it might be?

It's due a service in 2 weeks time anyway so not a real problem, just curious.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Could be the mains element burnt out. I have just renewed mine. They are not cheap.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
The fuses are usually with your charging unit, proably in a cupboard or under a bed locker :thumb:

OP
OP
Chris

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Is the heating element only for electric use? I ask this as it works on the gas.

Completely clueless about this sort of thing (and many many others).

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Is the heating element only for electric use? I ask this as it works on the gas.

Completely clueless about this sort of thing (and many many others).

Yes ......the gas works on a complete different system but still within the boiler

Last edited:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Chris

The first things i would check, has it tripped the RCD or has it blown a fuse not sure where they will be in your van so cant help there im sure i have seen some with fused switch not 100% sure though. When we had our caravan i once turned the hot water on with nothing in the tank which then tripped it was told if i left it for a while and tried again it would reset its self and it did.

Gerry

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
You havn't said what boiler it is, assuming its a truma ultrastore check what Gerry has pointed out, if you have just fired it up with no water in and it has overheated just switch it off at the mains and leave it for ten minutes and switch on again once you have the boiler full of water, if no joy after checking all of what has been said it will be the element, as for expensive as far as I can remember depending which element it is they are around £75, having said that as long as you can get to the boiler easy enough it is a pretty easy diy fix.

If it is a carver boiler then the white box on the end of the boiler where the wires enter there is normall a litle cover that swings out of the way and there is a red reset button behind it, have to say I've never had to change the element on a carver so can't tell you much more about them.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Mine was a Truma and about the same size as an electric kettle element. It was £50 and the only reason I can think of why it was so expensive is that its low watt, and of course with the magic word "Motorhome" on it :Doh:.

OP
OP
Chris

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
You havn't said what boiler it is, assuming its a truma ultrastore check what Gerry has pointed out, if you have just fired it up with no water in and it has overheated just switch it off at the mains and leave it for ten minutes and switch on again once you have the boiler full of water, if no joy after checking all of what has been said it will be the element, as for expensive as far as I can remember depending which element it is they are around £75, having said that as long as you can get to the boiler easy enough it is a pretty easy diy fix.

If it is a carver boiler then the white box on the end of the boiler where the wires enter there is normall a litle cover that swings out of the way and there is a red reset button behind it, have to say I've never had to change the element on a carver so can't tell you much more about them.

Sorry - yes its a Truma.

I may have cocked it up myself actually. I went through my normal procedure, got the taps flowing without air blocks then switched it on. The little green light came on and i opened a beer or two and sat in the sun. About an hour later I went in the van to put my phone on charge which is when I realised the electricity wasnt on. I hadnt pushed the plug in properly on the side of the van.

So I switched the heater off and then back on again. Although all the lights came on as usual it didnt heat the van or the water.

Perhaps I damaged it?

Its in for a service soon anyway So I wuill let you know.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back