Heating on hookup not fan heater (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
T337
Exp
Are there any gadgets to heat van while on hookup apart from fan heaters? (they give me headaches - something to do with negative ions)

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
We have a Challenge 2kw Convector heater from Argos.

Broken Link Removed

Very efficient, silent, a little bulkier than I would like but manageable. 750w, 1250w & 2000w settings. Has a timer and a thermostat.

Whilst our Burstner is in the unheated building during the recent cold snap ( outside temp didn't get any higher than 2°C day or night), I had the heater on the 750w setting with the thermostat at about the 10 o'clock position and inside temp of MH remained at 12-13°C 24/7.

Thermostat has no graduations but with trial and error, got the temperature I was happy with.

IMG_20210113_131537.jpg

IMG_20210113_131455.jpg

IMG_20210113_131242.jpg

I prefer using a standalone heater than the Truma when storing at home or on a site as it is far cheaper/easier to replace the convector heater than it would be to repair/replace the Truma.

I use the Truma when touring

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
We have a Challenge 2kw Convector heater from Argos.

Broken Link Removed

Very efficient, silent, a little bulkier than I would like but manageable. 750w, 1250w & 2000w settings. Has a timer and a thermostat.

Whilst our Burstner is in the unheated building during the recent cold snap ( outside temp didn't get any higher than 2°C day or night), I had the heater on the 750w setting with the thermostat at about the 10 o'clock position and inside temp of MH remained at 12-13°C 24/7.

Thermostat has no graduations but with trial and error, got the temperature I was happy with.

View attachment 455989

View attachment 455991

View attachment 455990

I prefer using a standalone heater than the Truma when storing at home or on a site as it is far cheaper/easier to replace the convector heater than it would be to repair/replace the Truma.

I use the Truma when touring
Hello Namwaldog
Quick question.
Does the body of the heater get hot.
Just wondering if you were to brush past it , could you get a burn?
Interested as might solve a problem with a fan heater I have which even on thermostat use costs a lot of pennies, but the body does not get hot.
Thanks

Upvote 0

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Its a convection heater for us too, works really well & doesn't take up much space.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Captain Yoghurtpot
If you were to touch the metal with bare flesh, you will be aware it is hot... but I would imagine you would have to stay in contact for a period of time before you burned.

I can't really think of a way to describe the heat, but something like a hot cup of tea in a China mug without using the handle??

As above you have to make sure fabric doesn't stay in contact for prolonged periods.

When we are in the living area, ours stands about 9" from the end of the island bed, with the duvet folded out of the way.

When we are in bed, it stands in a clear spot in the living area but it has to be very cold for us to leave it on whilst we sleep.

As seen on the images, there is a warning not to cover the heater!!

As Thora Hird used to do when warming her bum on the fire .... make sure you lift your frock ::bigsmile: ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Beware some of the cheap convector heaters, because although they do work well, They tend to damage the vinyl coated board used in many motorhomes. The temperature starts to melt the plastic and it discolours

Upvote 0
May 21, 2020
Blairgowrie and Rattray, Blairgowrie, UK
Funster No
MH
Class B
Exp
Since 2018

I use this if I am in the van and an oil radiator if I just want to keep the frost out over the winter. The quartz heater works wel, small, light and is cheap, but no timer or thermostat.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Captain Yoghurtpot
If you were to touch the metal with bare flesh, you will be aware it is hot... but I would imagine you would have to stay in contact for a period of time before you burned.

I can't really think of a way to describe the heat, but something like a hot cup of tea in a China mug without using the handle??

As above you have to make sure fabric doesn't stay in contact for prolonged periods.

When we are in the living area, ours stands about 9" from the end of the island bed, with the duvet folded out of the way.

When we are in bed, it stands in a clear spot in the living area but it has to be very cold for us to leave it on whilst we sleep.

As seen on the images, there is a warning not to cover the heater!!

As Thora Hird used to do when warming her bum on the fire .... make sure you lift your frock ::bigsmile: ::bigsmile:
Also thanks😊

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
What’s you view of not heating the van in winter when it’s parked up?
I wonder if there will be any long term issues if I don’t heat it. Be aware I use the van to shop and small trips at present.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
All electric heaters of the same power rating will surely heat just as much it's just the distribution of the heat thats different. I don't know for sure but if there was a fire involving use of a separate heater when the mh was unattended I wouldn't be surprised if there was a problem claiming so careful use would be a good idea especially with the radiant heaters which would be more likely to cause really hot spots.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
What’s you view of not heating the van in winter when it’s parked up?
I wonder if there will be any long term issues if I don’t heat it. Be aware I use the van to shop and small trips at present.
Never heat the van when it's parked up, not nessecery plenty of built in ventilation.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Two things about using an electric heater in the van, one is gas is normally cheaper than paying for EHU.
Two if the heater is in the lounge you will get condensation in the loo and shower, directly you open the loo or shower door the warm air rushes in and condensates on the cold surfaces.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
We use the oil radiator in the middle of the van, which for us is by the bathroom, so going in and out tends to waft enough heat in the bathroom, never had a problem of condensation with this. Only come across one site in the uk with meters on hook up, we don’t sleep in the van with the gas heating running. (Just a personal choice)

Upvote 0
Jul 24, 2015
Ramsgate Kent
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato c class
Exp
5 years
I've never heated the van when layed up for the winter..just lift up the cushions on their end to help ventilation..flip them around a bit....front windows are cracked with wind deflectors fitted.

They do feel damp but probably just cold air all over them..then when we're going to be going away we heat it up either with a fan heater or the blown air system on gas.skylight open a bit ...get it real hot ..
Then clean sheets fitted..

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Not one single dealership heats the vans sat on their forecourt or storage through the winter months

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back