Heating LPG or Diesel? LPG refillable bottle or underfloor tank? (1 Viewer)

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
I'm still looking at the market for full timing with no final decision made but evaluating specifications. Most manufacturers seem to use LPG/Electric options for heating although some are using diesel/electric or provide extra cost options for this.

Thoughts on the pros and cons of these options please....

My initial thought was diesel is available anywhere therefore it would be a better option and can presumably be used whilst travelling if required?

On the LPG issue what are the thoughts on fixed tanks rather than bottles as presumably this will free up extra storage space assuming the load capacity is available - any downside apart from cost. Presumably if going diesel the LPG requirement is very low though?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Just a few thoughts..

My initial thought was diesel is available anywhere therefore it would be a better option and can presumably be used whilst travelling if required?

Truma heater running on LPG can also be used while travelling .. done so myself in winter

On the LPG issue what are the thoughts on fixed tanks rather than bottles as presumably this will free up extra storage space assuming the load capacity is available - any downside apart from cost. Presumably if going diesel the LPG requirement is very low though?

No downsides that I can think or, with a diesel heater, LPG use will be be less, still need it for fridge, cooking and hot water unless you have a diesel water heater..

Will you be using sites with EHU ? if so nearly everything can run off 240v mains.

Never had a diesel heater myself, but from what I've read they can be noisy and maintenance can be expensive.. some say they are great..

Personally
I would go with an LPG tank and a Truma heater for both hot water and space heating with LPG / Mains options. Autogas is available in nearly all countries .. except Morocco but bottle gas is cheap and sold everywhere.. so if visiting there it would be useful to have a locker with a gas connection that would hold a single 11kg Propane bottle

If you plan to travel outside the Europe then I would probably go with the diesel heater .

Upvote 0

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I carry motorcycles in my van, so gas & naked flames are a no no.

I have a Wallis XC Duo heater/hob

Dual purpose for cooking & heating in one small device

It runs off diesel from the van's fuel tank - no problems filling up

Might be worth a look, it is intended for smaller vans:

http://www.wallas.fi/index.php?id=117

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
As a fulltimer, in very cold weather ive used 36 litres of gas in 3 days in 8m mh.
Without heating, an 11kg lasts me 3 weeks with showering and washing up daily and running large fridge freezer.
As for cooking with diesel could be a real problem if there's a leak in the van.

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Underslung lpg tank for us. lpg heating and hot water. lpg @70p a ltr derv @£1.30 a ltr.

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Bear in mind diesel heaters also need a fair bit more power from the batteries compared with gas so, if off grid, make sure you have enough solar capacity or travel frequently enough to rely on the alternator to keep the leisure batteries topped up.

Upvote 0

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I know that you have been considering a V Line which has underslung tank
All the Autotrail Vans, together with Tribute, New Roller team Toleno, New Chausson Twist UK, all built in Grimsby have tanks. This is as much to do with the lack off space for bottles in the Grimsby vans

On the Diesel question as mentioned elsewhere, you never run out, but noisier and use more battery power if wilding
I too would go for Truma 6E

Regards

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We've got a diesel heater and an underslung LPG tank. My experience is the diesel heater is very powerful but it does use around 9 amps when it starts then after a couple of minutes it consumes about 2 amps or a little less. In winter even a lot of solar will struggle to keep up if the heater was running continually especially in northern parts of Europe like the UK. Diesel consumption isn't insignificant if it's cold. Ours can get through a good 2 litres a day if temperatures are close to freezing.

Gas bottles are generally easier to find than an LPG pump and in some places a truck will travel around campsites so you don't even have to move to get a replacement. However, the LPG tank is very convenient and doesn't take up storage space.

Upvote 0

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
The Truma diesel 6 is not noisy, about the same as the Truma gas 4. It is also quite frugal as far as electricity is concerned, compared with other makes of diesel heaters.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
We've got a diesel heater and an underslung LPG tank. My experience is the diesel heater is very powerful but it does use around 9 amps when it starts then after a couple of minutes it consumes about 2 amps or a little less. In winter even a lot of solar will struggle to keep up if the heater was running continually especially in northern parts of Europe like the UK. Diesel consumption isn't insignificant if it's cold. Ours can get through a good 2 litres a day if temperatures are close to freezing.

Gas bottles are generally easier to find than an LPG pump and in some places a truck will travel around campsites so you don't even have to move to get a replacement. However, the LPG tank is very convenient and doesn't take up storage space.

Much better than the previous generation Murvi though, ours was a 2005 model.
Eberspacher hydronic used over 17 amps on start up, 3 leisure batteries we had and still struggled in winter unless on ehu.
No wonder they changed to Webasto.

Upvote 0
Nov 19, 2010
Walking the dog
Funster No
MH
Hymer 680 Starline
Exp
since 2012
However, the LPG tank is very convenient and doesn't take up storage space.

How do the staff check it on Tunnel/ferry?
On the Chunnel I have to open the locker and visibly close the valves, what do you do to demonstrate that the underslung LPG tank is closed?

Terry

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
How do the staff check it on Tunnel/ferry?
On the Chunnel I have to open the locker and visibly close the valves, what do you do to demonstrate that the underslung LPG tank is closed?

Terry
If they asked I just tried to the light the gas hob as a demonstration, but most times just took my word for it.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
A litre of Diesel produces around 10kWh and costs around £1.30, so 13p/kWh (roughly the same as domestic electricity).

A litre of LPG produces around 7kWh and can cost as little as 60p, from a forecourt, so from 8.5p/kWh (but much more if bought in a bottle).

On a cost basis, LPG is the way to go, but you are correct in thinking that diesel is easier to obtain. If the heater’s diesel is kept in a separate tank, you could use ‘red’ Diesel (where you can find it), for around the same cost/kWh as LPG.

I’d prefer LPG and keep the ability to use a ‘local’ bottle as well as one re-fillable

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
As a fulltimer, in very cold weather ive used 36 litres of gas in 3 days in 8m mh.
Without heating, an 11kg lasts me 3 weeks with showering and washing up daily and running large fridge freezer.
As for cooking with diesel could be a real problem if there's a leak in the van.
a diesel leak could be messy a gas leak could be terminal

Upvote 0

The Returnee

Free Member
May 28, 2017
Togo
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
In 1983 I drove from England to Lomé
I have an underslung LPG tank. It’s easy to fill and cheaper than diesel. My built-in generator is also LPG...

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back