Heating in Winter. (1 Viewer)

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
I have never used the van in the cold of Winter. Arriving at a destination, wild camping no EHU etc and it is minus whatever outside how can you heat the van if you feel that the boiler could have frozen, how can you tell it is safe to switch it on.
If I have pegged the automatic boiler "dump" valve closed over night to save all the water draining away am I risking bursting the boiler !!
I have no tank heating fitted.
Should I simply stay at home :whistle:
Many thanks.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Looks as though you have a Hymer.

Is it blown air, or Alde heating that you have?

If the latter, does it have the heat exchanger fitted that allows the use of engine heat to heat the habitation area en-route to your destination. If so, it’s unlikely that you’d end up with anything frozen.

Ian

OP
OP
TUCANO
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Many thanks for a quick reply there, blown air only in my Hymer (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
The boiler is inside the vehicle not underneath where the cold water tank is so that will be the first to freeze. Surely you could run the hot tap before putting on the boiler and if you have water then the boiler is not frozen and you can light it - surely or am I missing something?

Yes and once lit keep it going as above!

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The boiler is inside the vehicle not underneath where the cold water tank is so that will be the first to freeze. Surely you could run the hot tap before putting on the boiler and if you have water then the boiler is not frozen and you can light it - surely or am I missing something?

Yes and once lit keep it going as above!
His water tank is inside also ...same as mine inside double floor.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
His water tank is inside also ...same as mine inside double floor.

That's even better! In my old Autotrail the tanks were exposed to the elements but the N+B has a twin floor setup and I have the heat exchanger system as well as some underfloor radiators!

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Chines diesel hetter ruining on cero
Work a treet cheep as chips as
to run.
Had my one since last winter
No problem
Bill

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I have never used the van in the cold of Winter. Arriving at a destination, wild camping no EHU etc and it is minus whatever outside how can you heat the van if you feel that the boiler could have frozen, how can you tell it is safe to switch it on.
If I have pegged the automatic boiler "dump" valve closed over night to save all the water draining away am I risking bursting the boiler !!
Many thanks.
We use our van all year round frost protection heeter when at home and and un occupied the but if occupied internal temp of the van Shuld not drop below freezing if you have pipes running through cupboards you worried abut just wedg then open a bit so warm air gets in
Bill

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
We have a standard blown air heater no liquid in the central heating

The hot water tank is inside the double floor of the vehicle so not open to the outside and doesn't have an automatic dump valve but in all our years we have never had a freeze up as the water heater is always on as we use our van 365 even on the drive it becomes another room of the house giving me a peaceful art studio

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Many thanks.
Fear not. There are many less knowledgeable than you who go out in winter and survive! How? Because they are most unlikely to suffer internal freezing if they are comfortable inside.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
I would never peg the dump valve. I do turn off the power to the water pump so if the dump valve does open then I only loose the water in the boiler and not the whole water tank. Once on site I then turn on the boiler and open the power to the water pump. When driving in very cold conditions ( -8c to -15c) I have had a situation where the boiler dump valve opens even though its nice and warm from the vans engine heating system. The back of the van can still get very cold when rolling along on the road in the above temperatures. I have on occasions driven the MH with the boiler on and the heating system working.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back