Heating controller help please (1 Viewer)

SOS

Aug 10, 2014
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 1R
Exp
Since 2014
The brown controller in my motorhome is broken, only the dial (see picture). I have sourced another controller but I am not sure it is compatible. In theory it looks similar. Can any of you knowledgeable folk help me please. At best I am hoping to ping the dial off the new one and put it on old controller. How do I get the dial off without breaking it? Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_1024.jpg
    IMG_1024.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_2714 (4).jpg
    IMG_2714 (4).jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 97

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Doubt it, the white one looks much older and is a temerature controler for the heating, the black one looks like a hot water controler. I've never seen either type before.
Have you contacted Truma to find out what is compatible.

OP
OP
SOS

SOS

Aug 10, 2014
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 1R
Exp
Since 2014
Doubt it, the white one looks much older and is a temerature controler for the heating, the black one looks like a hot water controler. I've never seen either type before.
Have you contacted Truma to find out what is compatible.

The brown one used to have a dial on it the same as the white one. I have emailed Truma as well thank you.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
The brown one used to have a dial on it the same as the white one. I have emailed Truma as well thank you.(y)
The dials normally just slide off the shaft if you slide a thin blade under them.. normally just a spring steel clip keeping it on shaft...
If its tight a lever from each side above and below the spindle and lever off... if the shaft fitting is the same you may get away with that..
Andy.

OP
OP
SOS

SOS

Aug 10, 2014
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 1R
Exp
Since 2014
The dials normally just slide off the shaft if you slide a thin blade under them.. normally just a spring steel clip keeping it on shaft...
If its tight a lever from each side above and below the spindle and lever off... if the shaft fitting is the same you may get away with that..
Andy.

Thanks, I will give that a go. So frustrating as the dial is the only bit that is broken!

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Thanks, I will give that a go. So frustrating as the dial is the only bit that is broken!

Yes... I hope he other dial can be removed and fits the original shaft... it' quite often just a flat on the shaft that locates the knob but from the photo yours looks a bit different...
If it was me I might resort to sourcing a knob and sticking it on to the shaft with a dab of araldite, that' if the one you have isn' the same fitting..
Andy

OP
OP
SOS

SOS

Aug 10, 2014
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 1R
Exp
Since 2014
Yes... I hope he other dial can be removed and fits the original shaft... it' quite often just a flat on the shaft that locates the knob but from the photo yours looks a bit different...
If it was me I might resort to sourcing a knob and sticking it on to the shaft with a dab of araldite, that' if the one you have isn' the same fitting..
Andy

Unfortunately I haven't been able to source a knob for the original fitting, truma don't make them anymore, tried caravan breakers etc etc. The white one is the only one that I have been able to source that looks similar. I am keeping my gingers crossed that the knob comes off and fits. I hate anything like this lol

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I would suggest that the functions on both controllers are the same.. hot water 40 or 60c and heating winter or summer, with a room dial thermostat

have a look at the back , do they have the same board and plug connection ?

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Seems to be a long way round, just for a knob. Finfers crossed (sorry), someone may have a 3D printer and be looking for a useful project.

Reactions: SOS
OP
OP
SOS

SOS

Aug 10, 2014
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 1R
Exp
Since 2014
I would suggest that the functions on both controllers are the same.. hot water 40 or 60c and heating winter or summer, with a room dial thermostat

have a look at the back , do they have the same board and plug connection ?

Don't know yet as I need to get home and have a look. The new one cost me £20 so thought it was worth a try. I will report back once I've had a proper look.

OP
OP
SOS

SOS

Aug 10, 2014
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 1R
Exp
Since 2014
Seems to be a long way round, just for a knob. Finfers crossed (sorry), someone may have a 3D printer and be looking for a useful project.

the alternative from Truma was going to cost about £120 (maybe even more) to change the whole lot and that wasn't including fitting, all for a knob lol!

OP
OP
SOS

SOS

Aug 10, 2014
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 1R
Exp
Since 2014

Thanks for that. Just had an email back from Truma to say that they are sending my enquiry to head office. I will have a go at just trying to ease the dial off and see if it fits my old system I think in the first place. Probably would be a lot easier than having to tamper with wiring like you say.

OP
OP
SOS

SOS

Aug 10, 2014
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 1R
Exp
Since 2014
I will let you know what they say about the unit I have but I know for sure that unless you are lucky enough to get one from eBay or a breakers it will be a no go for an original style one as Truma do not make the old style any more but did give me part numbers to upgrade. I was looking for a cheaper alternative tbh hence taking a punt on this one. I'll keep you posted.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
@SOS when trying to remove the Knob , personally i would use 2 x ordinary table knifes , one behind each side of the knob gently prising it if evenly.

OP
OP
SOS

SOS

Aug 10, 2014
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 1R
Exp
Since 2014
@SOS when trying to remove the Knob , personally i would use 2 x ordinary table knifes , one behind each side of the knob gently prising it if evenly.
I have just been out to have a look at the broken dial and it is slightly bigger than the dial on the new one I have. I'm going to wait for Truma to tell me whether the whole unit is compatible. If it isn't then in for a penny and all that, I will prise the dial off and see if it works on my old unit a second I have nothing to lose. In the meantime the heating works, it's just annoying me about the dial.

OP
OP
SOS

SOS

Aug 10, 2014
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 1R
Exp
Since 2014
In the meantime I have just tried superglue on the old dial to put it back together. I'm just using glue on the dial, not glueing it to the system. Doubt if it will hold but it certainly nearly stuck my fingers together! Even if it holds for the weekend or until I get an answer from Truma that will keep me happy. There is always something to sort out, it's only just come back from having an oil leak, diesel leak and 2 new leisure batteries being fitted. Still it's all good fun

OP
OP
SOS

SOS

Aug 10, 2014
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 1R
Exp
Since 2014
I can give you the part numbers truma gave me if you need them btw

Sep 27, 2017
Herts
Funster No
MH
Adria coral 660SL
Exp
2 weeks
As already stated the knobs are much of a muchness in terms of fitting, and are also used on lots of other things from Gas cookers old radios etc, may be a trip to your local waste disposal centre my show up a similar fitting to what your require then put your own markings on it ?

Reactions: SOS

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back