Heating advice (1 Viewer)

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
We are new to MH's having bought out first one in October. We have only managed to get away once and did not need to use the heating. We have now booked to go away over New Year. Our previous experiences have been under canvas and certainly not in the winter months!
What I am trying to ask is it ok to leave the heating on during the night if necessary (on ehu)?Also if we nipped out to the pub would it be ok to leave it on?
Thanks in anticipation.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Certainly safe to leave heating on either on EHU or gas. The MH should have ventilation built in. Do have a look in any floor cupboards to make sure they are not blocked. Check your CO2 detector is working. Having warmth and comfort is what has driven most of us out of tents and into MH.
Have Fun over New Year

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
What I am trying to ask is it ok to leave the heating on during the night if necessary (on ehu)?
Not only is it OK, it will almost certainly be necessary. I tend to turn the blowers off overnight (the sound drives me mad) and turn the heater down to 500w. When on gas, I turn the thermostat down to about 2. That will keep it nice and warm, but not stupidly hot.

Also if we nipped out to the pub would it be ok to leave it on?
We do this all the time, in fact the pub is quite often where we are parked! :D Get the van nice and warm ready for our return :D

Upvote 0

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
If your heating has enviromental and safety controls, which manufacturer's motorhomes should have, then it's no different than domestic central heating. Leave it on all the time you're camping, we do.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Baggers53

Free Member
Dec 30, 2013
Stafford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Due to the layout of our MH we take a silent small electric oil filled heater with us
and position this up near the front, just at the cab.....this is the end where the
wash room / loo is. This means we wake up and have a lovely warm MH.
We could use the MH heating system but the heater clicking on and off or the
use of the fan blown system is just too noisy.....so our little heater is ideal.

Upvote 0

Spanda

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590 RS
Exp
We tend to pick dates to go away, and then go no matter what the weather. We are still newbies, but we have already faced gales, snow, freezing cold and relentless rain. The way we survive is by having the heating on all the time, electric when on EHU but otherwise we use gas. We have the heating on overnight but like others have said, turn the fan off so the noise doesn't disturb us. I don't know if all vans are the same, but our instruction manual actually suggests leaving the heat on but have the fan off overnight.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Just for a little balance on fans. We have only done 3 nights in our new van since getting it a few weeks ago. Last one was last night. We leave it on perminently when we arrive until we leave and the fans don't bother us in the slightest kicking in and out while we sleep. It's a modern truma system and it's very very quiet I find.

Upvote 0

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Our MH is 2007 and has a Truma heater electric. & Gas combi , I'm not aware of a feature where you can turn of the fan, is this something only on newer models..?

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
The fan works automatically.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Ours is a 2011 van, and I can't remember the model of the heating, but it is a Truma system. The blowers are controlled by a separate switch on the unit. I imagine some systems have this, and some don't.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back