Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Meters on a site are a pain in the bum.

You have coin operated ones, people smash them and steal the money.
You have metered and read ones, people argue that the starting reading was wrong
You have metered ones and people leave after hours and don't pay
You have meters and people that are willing to pay, need to leave very early in the morning, before the meter can be read.
People that won't pay, unplug other people's supply during the day when others are off site
You have pre-payment meters and people complain that they have credit left and they want to leave
You have pre-payment meters and people complain that they've run out of credit and "How can that happen"
You have pre-payment meters and people arrive after hours and can't get a top up card as the office is closed

We have thought about it!

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
The ones in Spain get read as you arrive and you are plugged in by the employee, the box is locked so no tampering possible. He writes the reading on your receipt and radios reception with it. There's a window in the box so you can see what you're using.
When leaving you go to reception the day before and pay, if you're leaving early they can come and disconnect you the night before or you arrange a time.
Far too much common sense for Barmy Britain 😁

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Why don’t the site owners just supply less amps, surely enough for charging batteries, few other light essentials. Gas for heating is cheap and more effective
If that would reduce pitch fees, I concur. I deplore use of mains heaters in awnings. I am a low amps EHU user so effectively I am subsidising those who max out their 16 amps.

It will be interesting to see how campsites deal with a growing demand to charge EVs especially now electric SUVs are more common.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

You have metered and read ones, people argue that the starting reading was wrong
You have meters and people that are willing to pay, need to leave very early in the morning, before the meter can be read.
People that won't pay, unplug other people's supply during the day when others are off site
You have pre-payment meters and people complain that they have credit left and they want to leave
You have pre-payment meters and people complain that they've run out of credit and "How can that happen"
You have pre-payment meters and people arrive after hours and can't get a top up card as the office is closed

sounds like you get all the toe rags :rofl:
keeps the rest of us safe.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Years ago I had a motorhome with a stove that had two gas rings and one electric - it was perfect to be able to choose depending on what was in good supply at the time !
We thought the opposite an option on our van was a Thetford cooker with 3 gas & 1 electric ring we thought what a stupid idea and stuck with the TecTower.

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985

Yes but your talking about tuggers so ban them.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
In summer I try to book CL sites without EHU but this time of year I choose 16amp EHU because I don't want the bother of running my heating on gas. I don't have an inverter, or the battery power to run one and it's an advantage to be able to use the electric kettle, toaster and microwave, I would never heat the awning though, if it's that cold, stay inside.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
In summer I try to book CL sites without EHU but this time of year I choose 16amp EHU because I don't want the bother of running my heating on gas
Another point why do in the UK do vans come with electric heating its not necessary the heaters work better on gas. All our vans the heating has been gas only never bothered with the electric option.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
I suppose the issue with metering would be reading it on arrival and departure then getting the money out of the camper who has already prepaid for the pitch.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
you could relieve yourself on his elec post :imoutahere:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Another point why do in the UK do vans come with electric heating its not necessary the heaters work better on gas. All our vans the heating has been gas only never bothered with the electric option.
Because a lot of people use campsites where electricity is included in the price, as others have said "if you are paying for it you want to be able to use it"

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Easy photograph meter on arrival and take a deposit for leccy and refund the balance on departure, not many leave at night if you owe them money🙂

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
Well there are people who say I have paid for it so I must use it none on here though 🤣🤣
So far the worst culprits we have experienced as none Eco guests went out for the day leaving their bedroom wall heating, the fan heater, every light, the TV, the bathroom extractor fan and the heated towel rail (no towels on it) on. The window was wide open, and the final "injustice" was a glass of cigarette butts on the window cill.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
This is just the tip of an iceberg.
If something is available for no additional charge, there will always be someone who uses it without consideration.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Our pvc comes with alde blown air on gas or 2kw on leckky, its kept us lovely and toasty this week on leckky, we are on a cmc site so no choice about paying so we use it.

Jun 4, 2010
Funster No
A few years ago in southern Spain a campsite nearly west bust during a colder than normal winter. The following winter people were allowed a certain amount of electricity in the fees. then after it had to be paid for . This I thought was fair and reasonable

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Some UK sites charge as much as £5 a day/night for hook up, that's about £150 a month, that's more than twice what I pay at home where I have TV, heating, all electric cooking etc.. so I would have no issues using all that's available at such a site.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we thought what a stupid idea and stuck with the TecTower

and you think tec towers aren’t stupid 🤔

May have improved, but ours was fridge / freezer / oven all combined. One unit fails change the lot 😳 but it’s OK they discontinued them so you can’t even replace it like for like 🤔

not to mention the oven height

now look what you have done Lenny, I was all chilled waiting to set off for Lyndon Top and you reminded me of tech towers 👍🤔😁

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Some UK sites charge as much as £5 a day/night for hook up, that's about £150 a month, that's more than twice what I pay at home where I have TV, heating, all electric cooking etc.. so I would have no issues using all that's available at such a site.

electricity costs about 15p per Kw / hour, I think you can squeeze 4 Kw out of a 16A supply

in theory you could get over £20 a day consumed 😳

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I'm absolutely horrified that anyone would either unplug someone's EHU or 'turn the bollard off in the barn' without telling the owners first.

How does anyone know without asking the occupant what medical equipment is either in use or being stored inside that unit? Medicine in the fridge at safety critical temperatures, medical equip needing to be recharged whilst not actually in use - eg CPAP/forced oxygen or dialysis machinery, insulin pumps or BG Meters to name the things that spring to my mind immediately.

FYI - it also horrifies me to see heaters left on anyway in awnings whatever happens to power them - when their location isn't attended. Clearly don't understand how quickly fire takes hold and completely destroys flimsy structures whether tents caravans motorhomes or statics.

How do they NOT comprehend this?

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
On one of our first ever outings in our mh we arrived on a site in Derbyshire at the same time as a tugger and were ideally placed right behind him to witness his planet destroying use of electricity.
The first hours entertainment was him setting up his rig with not one but two IR heaters carefully lashed to his awning poles and a column fan heater placed strategically just inside the doorway.

After our cuppa on arrival and his antics setting up we went for a walk around the site. On our way back he and wife were sat either side of the open awning doorway, both IR heaters were on as well as the fan and the dog was laid flat between them, it’s fur being ruffled by the blast from the fan.

We even noticed the ‘red glow’ of the IR’s late into the evening long after they had retreated to the van but the dog was still laid in the awning, it was the same first thing the next morning.

No wonder ‘flat fee’ ehu is so costly.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The truth is, whether the truth is liked on here or not, the majority of people (customers) want electric, and showers and toilets, and water points and waste points and WiFi!

Having a fantastic system in place that allows someone to book online, input their details, arrive after hours, get access, stay a couple of days and leave without any hassle works well.

As I always say to people when they are complaining about our policies, pricing or rules, as I look over their shoulder, is "Next!"

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
The truth is, whether the truth is liked on here or not, the majority of people (customers) want electric, and showers and toilets, and water points and waste points and WiFi!

Having a fantastic system in place that allows someone to book online, input their details, arrive after hours, get access, stay a couple of days and leave without any hassle works well.

As I always say to people when they are complaining about our policies, pricing or rules, as I look over their shoulder, is "Next!"
A friend of my wife used to say that. ::bigsmile:

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
I'm absolutely horrified that anyone would either unplug someone's EHU or 'turn the bollard off in the barn' without telling the owners first.

How does anyone know without asking the occupant what medical equipment is either in use or being stored inside that unit? Medicine in the fridge at safety critical temperatures, medical equip needing to be recharged whilst not actually in use - eg CPAP/forced oxygen or dialysis machinery, insulin pumps or BG Meters to name the things that spring to my mind immediately.

FYI - it also horrifies me to see heaters left on anyway in awnings whatever happens to power them - when their location isn't attended. Clearly don't understand how quickly fire takes hold and completely destroys flimsy structures whether tents caravans motorhomes or statics.

How do they NOT comprehend this?
I would hope anyone storing something that important like critical medicines or dialysis machinery in a motorhome, wouldn't trust it to a camping EHU and ensure they had a more resilient solution - if it was that critical. Power cuts on campsites can happen at any time

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back