Free Member
Jun 23, 2015
London E17
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Ravenna
Exp
A Relative Newbie
I have a 1999 Autosleeper Ravenna on a Peugeot Boxer and I always seem to have problems getting the can comfortably warm when driving. When going slow (in traffic) the temperature is reasonable, but coolish to cold when motoring. When I feel the vents they feel warm, but despite where the controls are, it is warmish around the feet but not at head height. Have had a new thermostat fitted, but still a problem.
Any ideas please

xulih

Free Member
Jan 17, 2017
58.89º North
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Accent
Exp
My 2012 boxer is the same , useless cab heaters, knees and feet area is always cold. It reminds me of the Toyota Hilux Vigo import that didnt have a heater ,only air conditioning. I havent got around to investigating but I think its a combination of a not very inefficient heater and draughts entering below dash area or lower door area.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I think a hat and coat is the answer. We had a 2013 Autosleeper on a Boxer base, during very cold weather, although the heater pumped out hot air, we still got cold. Our much older Swift on a Ducato base is the same. I think there is just too much space to try to heat, when the warm air comes out of the heater, it circulates into the rest of the van to be replaced by cold air. I find my legs get cold too, even though I direct the vents onto them.
Setting the air intake to recirculating and shutting all the blinds, especially roof blinds, helps a little, but unless you have heating in the back, I think you will always feel the interior is cooler than you would like.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Always was a problem on x244 Fiats up to 2006. If you are starting of from cold best thing to do is run the gas heating for half an hour before setting off then the cab heater only need to maintain the temperature.

I don't understand why @Allanm had problems with an x250 heaters in those are fine.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
I have one of these fitted in my van. It came with the van so I don't know if its an optional extra or part of the van. It runs off the engine through the engines radiator system. Works very well, On a recent trip to Cologne in -7C we had to turn the temperature down as it was too hot inside the van.
IMG_20170130_094820662.jpg
IMG_20170130_094811919.jpg
extra

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
While driving?

Yes, though I think it depends on the system.

I have the truma combi which can be run while driving and the relevant gas cylinder/regulator that can be used while on the move. Purpose being to keep rear seat passengers warm - not that I have any so don't actually use the hab heating while driving.

I have recently found that the biggest draught in the front (while stationary, never mind while on the move) is from the vents in the bottom door pockets. This time of year even without much of a breeze they really do let a lot of cold air through.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Last summer I reached around the corner to the heating controls with the intention of turning off the water heating, forgetting I had already done it so when I reached around and turned it was actually turning on the heating ! never noticed and set off to drive 50 miles home.
Sweltering on the way home with cab air con on doing battle with the blown air heating :mad:
Until then I never realised heating would work whilst driving

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Last summer I reached around the corner to the heating controls with the intention of turning off the water heating, forgetting I had already done it so when I reached around and turned it was actually turning on the heating ! never noticed and set off to drive 50 miles home.
Sweltering on the way home with cab air con on doing battle with the blown air heating :mad:
All the Truma fan flued heaters will work on the move but it is not safe use on the move unless you have the Secumotion regulator and either anti-rupture hoses or bottles.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I have recently found that the biggest draught in the front (while stationary, never mind while on the move) is from the vents in the bottom door pockets. This time of year even without much of a breeze they really do let a lot of cold air through.

You need this ...

gaffer-tape.jpg

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
I have one of these fitted in my van. It came with the van so I don't know if its an optional extra or part of the van. It runs off the engine through the engines radiator system. Works very well, On a recent trip to Cologne in -7C we had to turn the temperature down as it was too hot inside the van.View attachment 146098 View attachment 146099 extra
I brought one of these and fitted to my A class, to be honest i didn't find the normal heater too bad, But my better half needed more heat so fitted on just behind her seat so she get heat from both sides like a toaster:sneaky:
so now no complaints of feeling cold(y)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Is that the X250?. I get a Draught (More like a howling gale at times!)both when driving and at rest?.

Mikescuba:- we had a similar device in the Winnebago which helped keep the rear warm in the colder reaches of Montana:LOL:. (Not needed in Texas though):D2

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
What you have to remember is that the heating in a van is not really designed to heat the size of a motorhome.

Martin

OP
OP
Fairy Lights

Fairy Lights

Free Member
Jun 23, 2015
London E17
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Ravenna
Exp
A Relative Newbie
Thanks for all your replies, not sure how helpful they are, might try and run the habitation heating for a while before driving, I just assumed, and expected that the heater in the driving cab would be equal to a car

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I have one of these fitted in my van. It came with the van so I don't know if its an optional extra or part of the van. It runs off the engine through the engines radiator system. Works very well, On a recent trip to Cologne in -7C we had to turn the temperature down as it was too hot inside the van.View attachment 146098 View attachment 146099 extra
We have a similar system. . Works very well and it's called road heating on ours

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks for all your replies, not sure how helpful they are, might try and run the habitation heating for a while before driving, I just assumed, and expected that the heater in the driving cab would be equal to a car
Unfortunately not - if the cab was separated from the rear as it is usually in a standard van it would be up to the task but once converted into a motorhome/camper the heater isn't sufficient. You could try putting up a curtain behind the cab seats to separate the cab from the rest to keep the heat up front.

OP
OP
Fairy Lights

Fairy Lights

Free Member
Jun 23, 2015
London E17
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Ravenna
Exp
A Relative Newbie
Hmm, interesting Minxy Girl, but strange as it seems, I can and do use the back window when driving, it is right across the back, so a curtain would restrict that. I guess I will just have to wear an extra layer. Will be interesting this weeked, am hoping to go to the Isle of Wight

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Like your Avatar Figaro!!

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We have deisel heating which can be used on the move, but have not done it, put a small fleece over legs when passenger (so not often) put up with it rest of the time. will try heating van before i set off when it is very cold.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Hmm, interesting Minxy Girl, but strange as it seems, I can and do use the back window when driving, it is right across the back, so a curtain would restrict that. I guess I will just have to wear an extra layer. Will be interesting this weeked, am hoping to go to the Isle of Wight
Try one of these ... they work surprisingly well!

688-8138_PI_1000259MN

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
I found that a lot of the coldnesss around legs and feet comes via the door speaker grilles. Initially I blanked them of with cardboard under the grille, later I fitted speakers into them
Mike

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
All the Truma fan flued heaters will work on the move but it is not safe use on the move unless you have the Secumotion regulator and either anti-rupture hoses or bottles.
I've never fully understood the logic. As a comparison an LPG-fuelled vehicle feeds liquid from the tank to the converter/vapouriser (normally mounted in the engine compartment). That liquid feed, normally 8mm, is under tank pressure. The cut-off solenoid is normally under the bonnet and controlled by the ignition or engine running signals. And we worry about a vapour feed less than a metre long in a ventilated compartment. Petrol cars carry 10 to 15 gallons of highly flammable liquid, that won't rapidly evaporate if spilled, and feed it forward in a plastic pipe at around 40psi. The pressure is cut if the vehicle is involved in an accident but the fragile tank is unprotected. Just what do you imagine would happen to the gas installation in a mh if the vehicle was involved in an accident?

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I found that a lot of the coldnesss around legs and feet comes via the door speaker grilles. Initially I blanked them of with cardboard under the grille, later I fitted speakers into them
Mike

I had the same issue with speakers fitted. I found that sealing Behind the speakers using a Couple of Small Polystyrene Cereal Bowls, and then refitting the speakers. Reduced the Draught. There is still a small draught though witch I suspect could be the Door Seal, as it is most noticeable when driving in a cross wind.?

Ebby

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Rapido 787f
Exp
Since June 2004
I just put a fleece blanket up behind the cab seats,held in place with a couple of those plastic spring clips,definitely does the job.

Spanda

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590 RS
Exp
I have a 1999 Autosleeper Ravenna on a Peugeot Boxer and I always seem to have problems getting the can comfortably warm when driving. When going slow (in traffic) the temperature is reasonable, but coolish to cold when motoring. When I feel the vents they feel warm, but despite where the controls are, it is warmish around the feet but not at head height. Have had a new thermostat fitted, but still a problem.
Any ideas please

Harking back to the days when all we could afford to run were rickety old cars I remember once having to bleed air out of the heater system to get anything more than a whisper of warmish air out of the heater. Could it be something as simple as that ? Even if the cab heater isn't up to the job, the air out of the vents should be reliably hot.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We`ve had a merc sprinter front end and the heater was useless, hence there being an Eberspacher heater being added in the cab.
Our current Fiat ducato`s cab heater is not much better, as mentioned the habitation area behind you is huge so you are in a no win situation, answer is simple just drive with the habitation on, whole van will be toasty warm.
Another tip is check your cab for drafts, and seal off all those places that allow cold air in, ie. look at the chassis under the passenger side there is a 4" bellows valve arrangement seal that off.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back