Heated Rollers on 12 volt supply (1 Viewer)

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
Is it possible to buy 12 volt heated rollers for use in the campervan?

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I know we have an inverter , good battery , solar, etc so I don't know if that makes a difference and Ralph isn't here to ask. But I use my regular Heated rollers , hairdryer and ghd's from home. The last time I used the rollers, Ralph looked at his battery monitor to see what they were pulling off it. And said they weren't that bad ?
That's without hook up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Actually......
Heated grips on bikes usually draw about 1 to 1.5 amps.. Now the old ones get red hot ( new legislation demands a much lower cut off temperature and actually draw eve less current )

Now.... A few 10 ohm 50 watt ceramic type wire wound resistors mounted in ally tubes could be used to slip inside rollers..
Each heater would draw a little over an amp.
Lets say you make up ten of them.. they would take maybe 10 minutes tops to heat up
Yesssssss.. they would take their toll on battery longevity to some extent but only to the tune of just a few amps.

Some math for you.

12 v / 10 ohm = 1.2 amps
times 10 for ten rollers = 12 amps.

12 amps used for 10 minutes = 1.2 amp hours.. Surprisingly little in fact

Even halving the the resistance ( and doubling the current and the heat available ) would not impinge too badly on battery reserves

I should say I know sod all about how they are used but am guessing they should stay in place for 10 minutes or so ?
That would give a total power expenditure of less than 5 amps !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back