DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
OK, they may sound like a sex aid for cold winter evenings but the ones I bought are Australian BBQ briquettes. I bought them for our Cobb BBQ as a cheaper alternative to Cobb's own special fuel.

However, you would think a basic requirement of a BBQ charcoal is you can actually light them with something less than an oxy - acetylene torch.

They burn well when lit but what a performance getting them started.

Has anyone else any experience of these things? For info here is a link:

http://www.garden4less.co.uk/heat-beads-BBQ-briquettes-4kg.asp

simply

Free Member
Apr 24, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic
Exp
Newcomer
I use the same and have had absolutely no problem, I have even extinguished some with water and re-lit them the next day. I use cheap firelighters and put one white square into the base of the Cobb and drop a lit match in. I then put into place the wire basket containing 8 or 9 briquettes. The flames and smoke die down after only a few minutes and I then find I can cook for three hours or more without anymore ado.

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks for that. We used them this evening but with only 6 briquettes. The fire lighter burnt itself out and they still didn't light. So I put the little cage over the gas hob and gave them a good roasting for several minutes, even then it looked later as if only one really lit but it got the others going a little later.

I think the problem is you need plenty of briquettes, they don't work in small numbers.

It could also be we have a duff bag. I'll try the link I posted earlier for the next lot as I think they are worth persevering with. Once they get going they are excellent.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I use them in both my Webbers. I generally start them off in a chimney but have lit 8 to 10 briquettes with a couple of their firelighters when I use the Go Anywhere . They’re great for long slow cooks but I generally use normal lumpwood if I’m just grilling a couple of steaks. Once you have a lot of them alight, it can be hard to get the temperature to go down which might be an issue in a Cobb ? Check out Youtube for the “Minnion Method” or “Snake Method”

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I've used them on a Cobb and on normal BBQ. I must say that I was none too impressed either way quite frankly (I should add that I was not impressed with the Cobb so got rid of it straight away)

However............ I have used this recently and its fantastic!

Broken Link Removed

Just pile in the charcoal, light a couple of starters underneath, wait about 15 minutes....... bingo :D

I have also found it is the best way to start and add extra charcoal at any time after the BBQ is going :)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I use them in both my Webbers. I generally start them off in a chimney but have lit 8 to 10 briquettes with a couple of their firelighters when I use the Go Anywhere .

Not wishing to hijack this thread completely, I just realised what you said...........

I have the Go Anywhere........ it really is the best BBQ I have ever owned. We use it with the van but I am so impressed with Weber that I have bought the top o the range balls out Weber for my son as a wedding present :D:D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
OK, they may sound like a sex aid for cold winter evenings
... the mind boggles as to what you get up to if you think that Heat Beads has a sexual connotation!!!! o_O

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
OK, they may sound like a sex aid for cold winter evenings but the ones I bought are Australian BBQ briquettes. I bought them for our Cobb BBQ as a cheaper alternative to Cobb's own special fuel.

However, you would think a basic requirement of a BBQ charcoal is you can actually light them with something less than an oxy - acetylene torch.

They burn well when lit but what a performance getting them started.

Has anyone else any experience of these things? For info here is a link:

http://www.garden4less.co.uk/heat-beads-BBQ-briquettes-4kg.asp

The ones you linked to are the exact ones that I get from Cobb themselves. I have used them for years and never had a problem.

I have an old biscuit tin that I stick the coals in as soon as I have finished cooking. Once the lid is on the coals go out pretty quick and are then ready to use next time. I put 6 or so new beads and then the snuffed ones on top.

If you are using the little white firelighters you need six or seven and then light them in the pit and sit the cage on top. I use the dome extension as a wind break. The coals are ready to cook in 20 to 30 minutes. Never let me down.

I am wondering if yours have been stored damp, or are a duff batch.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Not wishing to hijack this thread completely, I just realised what you said...........

I have the Go Anywhere........ it really is the best BBQ I have ever owned. We use it with the van but I am so impressed with Weber that I have bought the top o the range balls out Weber for my son as a wedding present :D:D

When I look back at all the barbecues I've bought over the years, I wish I'd bought a Webber first. I had the 57cm One Touch at home but my son's "borrowed" it for his new house, looks like I'll be shopping for a new one now !

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
I've used them on a Cobb and on normal BBQ. I must say that I was none too impressed either way quite frankly (I should add that I was not impressed with the Cobb so got rid of it straight away)

Broken Link Removed

Just pile in the charcoal, light a couple of starters underneath, wait about 15 minutes....... bingo :D

I have also found it is the best way to start and add extra charcoal at any time after the BBQ is going :)

Broken Link Removed

I have used one for the last few seasons,agreed a 1st class way of starting the BBQ. I fill with briquettes,place it over a few wood off cuts, douse with white spirit, wait a couple of mins then light. Go and open a cool beer and in 20 mins all ready to go. Has the added advantage of measuring the correct volume of charcoal for a Weber unit.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Giving them another go tonight, two chicken legs. We prefer chicken thighs but only a few supermarkets seem to sell then in Spain.

Thanks for the tips, starting to get the hang of them now.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
... the mind boggles as to what you get up to if you think that Heat Beads has a sexual connotation!!!! o_O
If you dare, Google "beads Ann Summers" but don't say I didn't warn you!

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Ohhh no, just did, wish I didn't:eek: I've lived a sheltered life:confused:

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I just use good old fashioned firelighters, never had a problem getting the head beads to go, couple of big chunks in the bottom, fully alight in 20 minutes normally.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I just use good old fashioned firelighters, never had a problem getting the head beads to go, couple of big chunks in the bottom, fully alight in 20 minutes normally.
Err, is this another Anne Summers reference?:rolleyes:

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Many thanks for restoring sanity to this thread or perhaps that should read decency! Jim was probably on the verge of moving us to the Belly Locker.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Heat beads?

Heard of Worry Beads,

Prayer Beads'

In the 60s we had Love Beads, generally with a little cow bell on the end, ting a ling a ling, and you waited!
Ting a ling a ling, in the distance !
Ting a ling a ling closer!
Ting a ling a ling you eyeballed!
Ting a ling a ling ling ling a ling! Hey man! you've pulled!!

TING CLUNK! S**t! Oh well!

Ting a ling a ling and you waited!
Ting a ling a lingin the distance!!!!:love::love::love::love:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!

Broken Link Removed

About 30 years ago I used to use a Nescafe catering coffee can (they made them out of real tin then!) took top and bottom off and made some holes in the bottom with a wire handle,used a lot on campsites and borrowed by fellow campers-I should have filed a patent!
Prevented beads of sweat.

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
ive used them for years only problem i had was putting to many fire lighters and the flames melted the rubber feet witch the inner sits on

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Many thanks for restoring sanity to this thread or perhaps that should read decency! Jim was probably on the verge of moving us to the Belly Locker.
You're right DBK. Actually I have often thought how quickly some threads go 'off topic' and realise that I am one of the guilty party who brings this about. :(

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
Belly locker beckons:LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back