Heart Failure and DVLA 70+ C1 retention medical (1 Viewer)

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Hi all

I'll be 70 in October, and suffer from Heart Falure, with slight artirial fiibrillation, all of which is being treated with medication, abd all reports are that they are pleaded with my heart condition. Has anyone had a medical for C! retention with a similar condition?

I'm concerned that if more information or tests are required by the DVLA, who requests/supplies the information/tests and is there any additional cost to me.

Any advice gratefully received

Malcolm

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I have no idea as to your precise question, however I do question the advisability of driving at all with a heart problem. At your age it is easy to forget to take medication and for problems to arise.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
This could be a load of rubbish but I have just gone through retaining mine albeit without a known heart condition. As far as I know your doctor has to fill in the D4 with all details and then you send that and your D2 off to Swansea where it goes through the admin. side and is then passed on to their medical team to evaluate. This process takes a minimum of four weeks so do not leave it too late if you want to set off for winter sun.

Now the bit I am not sure of is that I believe the DVLA can request further evidence or even request a treadmill test which I believe is at their expense but this I am sure will be a worse case senario.

By the way if you can send off your D2 and D4 forms two months before your birthday and the D46P form that they automatically send you a couple of months before your birthday is not required

Very good luck-----Alan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
I have no idea as to your precise question, however I do question the advisability of driving at all with a heart problem. At your age it is easy to forget to take medication and for problems to arise.

Ah but Roger how do you know that you will not collapse at the wheel tomorrow it has caught out many others a lot younger than me and thee

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Af course that could happen Alan, but a pre-existing heart condition should ring some alarms. We all have to weigh up our health and ability with possible danger to oneself/our family/ and the general public. Having recently pulled a 91 year old driver over and suggesting he turn in his licence due to the fact he was weaving all over the road and came within an inch of two collisions within half a mile. The problem is fresh in my mind. He was not drunk or on medication and thought there was no problem. Someone has to say something. It will never make one popular but if it makes people think and prevents one accident then it's worth it.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Last year I was checked for possible heart failure, blood pressure spot on 120/80 ECG fine.

December I had a heart attack, stent fitted within hours - artery in heart almost closed.

Two days in hospital and I felt better than before the attack.(y)

No problems since (touch wood)(y)

Drove to Spain and back in March (11 hours driving one day)(y)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
This could be a load of rubbish but I have just gone through retaining mine albeit without a known heart condition. As far as I know your doctor has to fill in the D4 with all details and then you send that and your D2 off to Swansea where it goes through the admin. side and is then passed on to their medical team to evaluate. This process takes a minimum of four weeks so do not leave it too late if you want to set off for winter sun.

Now the bit I am not sure of is that I believe the DVLA can request further evidence or even request a treadmill test which I believe is at their expense but this I am sure will be a worse case senario.

By the way if you can send off your D2 and D4 forms two months before your birthday and the D46P form that they automatically send you a couple of months before your birthday is not required

Very good luck-----Alan

I understood the application could be sent to DVLA up to three months before your renewal date .

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Oooops sorry yes three months before, it is the D46P that arrives two months before the 70th birthday

That's a relief, having my eye test on 4th and medical the 8th Aug for my renewal 2nd November (y)

Jul 24, 2010
Planet Earth (I think)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
not long enough
Heart Failure: Driving may continue provided there are no symptoms that may distract the drivers attention. ECG or functional testing may be required / requested depending on the likely cause for the heart failure.

Atrial Fibrillation: Driving must cease if the arrhythmia has caused or is likely to cause incapacity. Driving may be permitted when the underlying cause has been identified and controlled for at least four weeks.

Taken from the DVLA guidance issued to medical practitioners

These guidelines apply to any age.

Statistically it appears that undetected, untreated or uncontrolled cardiac conditions are those most likely to cause sudden incapacity.

Lorraine x

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
It was a bit presumptive to assume both age and seriousness. I suffer from AF which is successfully treated and the consultant wrote an all clear. He also said no issues with driving as per the above DVLA advice

OP
OP
E
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Heart Failure: Driving may continue provided there are no symptoms that may distract the drivers attention. ECG or functional testing may be required / requested depending on the likely cause for the heart failure.

Atrial Fibrillation: Driving must cease if the arrhythmia has caused or is likely to cause incapacity. Driving may be permitted when the underlying cause has been identified and controlled for at least four weeks.

Taken from the DVLA guidance issued to medical practitioners

These guidelines apply to any age.

Statistically it appears that undetected, untreated or uncontrolled cardiac conditions are those most likely to cause sudden incapacity.

Lorraine x

Thanks very much for your post Lorraine. Unfortunatly undetected, untreated or uncontolled cardiac problems can occur at any age. BTW, I thought that arrhythmia needed to be controlled for 3 months, (Mine has been controlled for 3 years)

Malcolm

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Last year I was checked for possible heart failure, blood pressure spot on 120/80 ECG fine.

December I had a heart attack, stent fitted within hours - artery in heart almost closed.

Two days in hospital and I felt better than before the attack.(y)

No problems since (touch wood)(y)

Drove to Spain and back in March (11 hours driving one day)(y)

I had pins and needles in my arms last week--

The local Health center was no answer or engaged so i drove in-

"sorry sir ,no appointment made you cannot be seen"
But, i --explained the problem, no, you will have to come back tomorrow.:cry:
I asked " can i drop dead in here or outside ,where would you like me to fall "--" come back tomorrow sir":mad:
Finally got in the next day and turned out to be over tired arm muscles and nerves/tendons.
He did not even take my blood pressure as a test.o_O

That was a warning to me that when i do get a real warning sign i will just dial 999 to be safe not sorry.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I had pins and needles in my arms last week--

Finally got in the next day and turned out to be over tired arm muscles and nerves/tendons.
He did not even take my blood pressure as a test.o_O

That was a warning to me that when i do get a real warning sign i will just dial 999 to be safe not sorry.

No disrespect at all Joner8888, most of us would probably do the same, but that is precisely why A&E and the ambulance service are overloaded. Lack of facilities at the point where most people really need them. Please don't take the wrong way.....

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
How arrogant. And probably ignorant of the facts. Suggesting that someone is not capable of remembering medication just because they are 70 is ridiculous. In fact many people with diagnosed and treated heart problems are far less at risk than those who just don't know that they may have a problem. Thankfully the dvla is more reasonable.

HARESBY

Free Member
Jul 11, 2012
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie well sort of. Ex continental truck driver.
Perhaps a little more reassurance,pal of mine over 60 not long since had tripple heart bypass.Followed all the procedures medical and DVLA . No problem.He is now back to work hgv driving(44Tnn). Just go to the doctors,have the medical,any problems(got to be serious to fail) its all on the forms. No sense of worrying without cause.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Different area, same job, when I recently made an appointment with Specsavers for the eye test, the person on the other end said oh you will also need a field test. I said no, the D4 says only when DVLA request it.
Anyone been there ?

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
When I booked my eye test last Aug I made it clear it was a test for over 70's licence renewal,and not just an 'eye test' per se.
The current driving eye test includes peripheral vision which has to be measured to specific parameters-hence it now being done by an optician rather than a GP.
It also includes a test with and without any corrective lenses you may have.
The whole thing took about 5 mins,and was no big deal.
Mike.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
When I booked my eye test last Aug I made it clear it was a test for over 70's licence renewal,and not just an 'eye test' per se.
The current driving eye test includes peripheral vision which has to be measured to specific parameters-hence it now being done by an optician rather than a GP.
Mike.

I mentioned this Mike as my D4 eye test form specifically states in bold lettering that " field vision test will only be required by DVLA if requested at a later date" and seems to contradict what specsavers said.

May 3, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A class Carthago Chic I47
Exp
34 years
Don suffered Heart-failure Dec 2010 usual checks etc, no surgery just on medication to control arterial fibrillation, applied for renewal 70+ 2012 DVLA sent him for stress test while recovering from flue - failed test, after continued efforts and many visits to see NHS consultants (never the same one) present situation - July 2014 yet another appointment in a few months ? to see if a pacemaker can be fitted, watch this space.
In short if you are sent for a stress test make sure you are at your best health-wise the benchmark pass on the Spirometer test is 40 Don could only manage 37. Good luck to you and don't give up you have much to lose. (y)(y)(y)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Mike.

This bit is true - I had to go back to my optician for a test specifically for that - because although I've worn glasses for over 40 years - they don't specifically record what you (can't) see without your glasses - what's the point, when the patient in question comments - 'Give me a thing to read with English letters on it please - those up there are all in Mandarin, or Arabic - totally different alphabet anyway!'

Then with my glasses on - can read the bottom line!

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
thanks for that .I reach 70 next birthday.so they will send the required forms to me.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
How did the op make this post if their heart has failed?
Not sure whether this is just tongue in cheek or not!

However for the benefit of others who might not know I will explain a little. (I have to say I knew none of this until recent circumstances caused me to find out.)

Heart failure is a term which just means that the heart is not pumping as it should, it does not mean that "it has failed" and it does not mean that it has stopped. The term is unfortunate as is implies all sorts of things to those who are not familiar with the terminology. Often associated with atrial fibrillation, which is actually very common amongst older people.

Although heart failure cannot usually be cured it can be managed with modern drugs and (unless accompanied by something else) is not of itself likely to cause sudden problems and is therefore not a reason to stop driving.

Heart attacks are more to do with blockages in the coronary arteries, and are nothing directly to do with heart failure. If your arteries are OK a heart attack is unlikely, even if you do have "heart failure".

A risk of Atrial fibrillation is strokes because the nature of the heart pumping can cause blood to clot. This is managed by people taking blood thinning drugs such as warfarin.

All told if all of this is properly diagnosed and treated with drugs you can continue pretty much as normal.

As I said in an earlier post you could then argue that the risk of a sudden event occurring is actually less because of the treatment, when compared to someone who may have a condition he just doesn't know about.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
thanks for that .I reach 70 next birthday.so they will send the required forms to me.

Cruiser they will send you a D46P form out about 2 months before your birthday and this you can fill in without medicals, in most instances, but they will remove your C1 entitlement so that you are restricted to a 3500Kg limit

If you want to drive over 3500Kg then you need to obtain a D2 form which you have to go on line to the DVLA and request it and they will post it to you eventually. Also you require a D4 form which you can download on line and this is the one that you have to get a "profesional" to fill in for you in your presence.

What ever you do assuming you want to retain your C1 start about four months before your birthday as the DVLA are at best described as useless since all was transfered to Swansea

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Not entirely sure but I remember a long time ago ;) when Old Mo renewed his that the earliest for renewal with D2 and D4 was 3 months.
I am about to start mine with a renewal date 2nd November.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
A risk of Atrial fibrillation is strokes because the nature of the heart pumping can cause blood to clot. This is managed by people taking blood thinning drugs such as warfarin.

All told if all of this is properly diagnosed and treated with drugs you can continue pretty much as normal.

As I said in an earlier post you could then argue that the risk of a sudden event occurring is actually less because of the treatment, when compared to someone who may have a condition he just doesn't know about.

As per above - for two years I simply thought I was stressed due to work and the AF, not being present all the time (paroximal AF) was not picked up until recently despite regular checks. Doctor found it when doing a routine blood pressure check. ECG confirmed and 24hr ECG plus a couple of scans carried out. Diagnosis - heart is healthy but the AF is treated by drugs plus blood thinning tabs (not warfarin) to reduce the risk of stroke. Lesson learnt. If you feel stressed, check your pulse - if irregular then see the doctor pronto.
Government advice was referred to earlier but no need to report for an ordinary driver if no problems caused by it. Cardiologist confirmed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back