Heart attack (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
The danger with advice like this is if someone feels slightly bettr they will possibly not call 999 while they can or more wooryingly try to drive to a and e and if they pass out possibly take a few more with them

Four years go I started to feel unwell, seemed like really bad indigestion which hurt more when I lay down.

I was about to get into my car to go meet someone but realised something wasn't right, went back into the house and dialled 999. Ambulance arrived checked me over, said I had an irregular heartbeat, didn't think it was urgent but took me to hospital anyway (no blues and twos).

I was taken through to be assessed, by which time I was feeling fine and was ready to go home - "Oh no" said the doctor, within an hour I'd had a stent fitted to a blood vessel in my heart.......... lucky?......just glad I rang 999

:)

Jul 24, 2010
Planet Earth (I think)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
not long enough
Having had an allergic reaction to chemotherapy last October which affected my heart i was in great pain waiting for the ambulance , I had family with me to reassure me . On my own I’d like to think the coughing would help while I waited.

Unfortunately Anthea, it is highly unlikely to have been have any help with the pain you were experiencing. Getting an ambulance was the right thing to do. I hope things are better for you now.

Do you have medical training, what has been your experience on this subject....just interested...(y)

Yes, a bit of training. A bit of experience too.

What concerns me is that the Facebook post in the original post, along with a couple of other similar ones, have been going around for years and people actually believe them. Because we all want to believe them! Wouldn't it be great if coughing, or raising our left arm in the air or leaning forward over a chair worked?! Why would that information only be available on social media? Why wouldn't the NHS, BHF and Resuscitation Council tell us? If it was beneficial to us, why would they keep that information to themselves?

The Resuscitation Council (UK) exists to promote high-quality, scientific, resuscitation guidelines that are applicable to everybody, and to contribute to saving life through education, training, research and collaboration.

Have a look at their response to the Facebook post that was in the original post on this thread. Search - Resuscitation Council (UK) Statement on Cough CPR. A link to this is provided by Mattyjwr in post 19 of this thread.

The British Heart Foundation’s main focus is to fund cardiovascular research, aiming to spend around £100 million a year funding scientists around the UK. They are currently funding over 1000 research projects.

I posted a screen shot of their response to the Facebook post earlier in this thread. Post 15.

If you want to know what to do if you, or anyone else, has chest pain or believes that they are experiencing ANY kind of cardiac event - with or without chest pain, have look at the BHF's information. The NHS website and other accredited sources. First Aid Training is also available UK wide via various organisations. Calling 999 has to be a priority.

We shouldn't be taking medical advice from social media, or internet forums, even this one! Medical evidence needs to be peer reviewed, research based and published in a recognised journal such as the Lancet or BMJ.

Us Motorhomers should know the emergency number of the country we are in, and always know where we are, so that we can give an accurate location to the emergency services. Sat Navs often have a 'Where am I?' that will give you the address and exact co ordinates of your location. Carry aspirin in the van too, unless contra indicated, of course.

Just my opinion

Lorraine

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back