Heads up to check yours so you are aware (1 Viewer)

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Bolero 680fb but may effect others

We had our satellite dish transfered from the Hymer to The Bolero.

All was well untill we drove off and the dish was still in the upright position 8O.

The reason it happens is that I used to turn off the control panel before we left the pitch. I did that because the van used to go straight to storage on the way home and if left on, then it drained the battery.

If you leave the panel switched on then there is no problem as the safety device does it's job (Dish comes down when ignition switch turned) As we have the solar panel I now leave panel on all the time.

So just a heads up to check yours and be wary. :thumb:

Steve

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Steve
All it would take is a secodary ign feed to the drop me down pin on the system, and it will then drop when ign is on, even if the box is off:thumb:
Geo

OP
OP
SandJ

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Geo

That is what Mark thought.
Believe it or not Mark CLS had a look at Stratford, he spoke to Swift team and was unable to solve. I am not as bothered now as I leave panel switched on, but if someone did not know and ended up driving off.:RollEyes:

Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
but are you going to do that every single time? you can guarentee one day you'll be in a rush to move on and not do it, then you'll leave something ou/out as you dont have the systems to retract them when you start up.

i have a load of warning lights on my dash to warn of step out, dish up, dump valve open and so on, i wired them into the vehicles warning light cluster, making my own pictograms on the vinyl cutter, so it all looks standard,

so as long as the lights come on, then go out, i know everythings gone into travel mode.

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Can't see why Geo method wouldn't work ;however if this is not posible as Mark has said.
Think if it were me i'd fit a simple micro switch with a warning light.

Regards

OP
OP
SandJ

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
I know Geo's method will work,
it is the (if you add anything to your vehicle, you must fit as recommended or warranty void) possibility.

As I said Mark contacted Swift, as he did not fit it originally he was wary of changing it without the Ok from Swift. He is an authorised Swift fitter so wanted to do it as per Swift spec, as it was to spec he did not want to change it. Well not without the say so of Swift.

Steve

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I would suggest that Swift have installed it incorrectly:Eeek:
its a bit like a padlock on a fire door, great if you have the key:Doh:
a safety device such as fitted should never have to rely on another device being on to operate, they appear to have taken the feed for the safety device from the unit itself instead of running an independent one:whatthe::whatthe::whatthe:
If they wont or cant authorise Mark to sort it
chuck it back at em Steve:Blush:
Geo

Last edited:
OP
OP
SandJ

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Swift had nothing to do with the fitting Geo.
They tried to solve it with Mark as I asked him to try and sort it, the fitters were Hymer UK.
Swift have been in touch and they are going to sort it for me :thumb:
So well done again to Swift
If Andy does not reply on here I will put his reply on

Steve

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Ever thought of walking round your 'van for a visual check before driving off?

got to agree on this one.......10 seconds to walk round or hundreds/thousands of quid for new equipment.
anything thats put away by a motor wont get my vote.....nothings infallable.

even a walkround doesnt always work but still better than a warning light......i pulled 6ft off pitch at the bring and buy with the rear steadies down but everything else was stowed away.

OP
OP
SandJ

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
got to agree on this one.......10 seconds to walk round or hundreds/thousands of quid for new equipment.
anything thats put away by a motor wont get my vote.....nothings infallable.

even a walkround doesnt always work but still better than a warning light......i pulled 6ft off pitch at the bring and buy with the rear steadies down but everything else was stowed away.

This was about a heads up to warn others to check, to pre warn nothing else.

Well the answer from Andy at Swift

Steve,
I have emailed you also,

We supply three connections for the provision of a satellite dish, a +ve, -ve (switched 12V from the fusebox) and a D+ engine run signal, from the Fiat Cab, via the fusebox.

The +ve & -ve, depending on the dish, can be used to raise and lower the
dish, and the D+ signal can be used to inform the dish that the engine is
running. The D+ signal also carries 12V (+ve) at 0.5A, and is there primarily to signal the dish to lower, this is however dependent on how the dish is configured.

If the dish is not able to use the 12V from the D+ signal, then it will need a +ve feed from the fusebox, and therefore, the control panel must be on.

In your case, the engineer tried to take a 12V feed from the fridge feed as we suspected the motor required more than 0.5A (the fridge feed is able to supply 15A). However, when doing this, the dish would still not retract, indicating it is something to do with the configuration of the dish not the Motorhome causing the issue.

We have spoken to Amy when your van is due back in July we will check the D+ signal and see if we can understand the cause of the issue.

Thanks
Andy

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp

one thing i dont have a warning light for either, i keep saying i will put on on em, not hard to do, couple of reed switches and glue a magnet on em so it activated the reed when retracted,

but i do have a sticker on the dash just above the warning lights, 'dish down, legs up and away we go'
although most people see it and read it as 'knickers down.......' :Blush:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Aside of the auto issue I have a wind up Maxview dish and to avoid accidents I have printed a red warning sign to put on dashboard when hooking up. - HOOK UP - SATELLITE just a reminder before moving

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back