"Headline" The End of SKY Sat Dishes.... (1 Viewer)

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Taken from MSN front page...

Does this mean the end of "Oyster Dishes" too..?

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We use half gb per day here in Spain through our EE .We have a 30 gb package but only 15 allowance abroad.Manage news and some soap each day.Some site wi fi have worked well also.Radio takes less .
Shame EE dont allow more as we have a good signal everywhere so far.
Rain,wind,9 deg here today in Benicassim.Thats when we want more.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Moore's law suggest that it will be sooner or later. The concept that we are going to have a different "Stick" coming out the back of a TV for every supplier is not sustainable. A few years before it happens. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore's_law

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
The Sky satellite feed is faultless except in extreme torrential rain.

Moore's Law doesn't seem to apply to UK broadband outside big cities. I wish the BB we get was even close. Download speeds have improved recently from a previous best of 500kb/s to a maximum 7mb/s, but in the evenings it is noticeably slower and often drops out completely. Not acceptable for any TV streaming never mind full HD. I have the original cable terminating outside the house (installed I think by Telewest) so Virgin Media could be available; but it is relatively expensive, has a reputation locally for slow downloads at peak times, and doesn't offer all channels I actually enjoy viewing.

I won't rush to get one of those "Sticks" either. I don't use wi-fi at home. Long term RF exposure from wireless data systems may be a potential health hazard. Let's wait for the results of expert longitudinal studies. Perhaps the new technology industry has its dirty secrets. 40 years ago I was dealing with injury claims from workers exposed to microwaves. Nobody seems to have predicted those injuries, so I am sceptical about the safety of continuous RF exposure in the home even at low levels. Excuse my tinfoil hat.

So it's a NO from me for the foreseeable future. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Interesting concept....will SKY allow usage outside the UK.....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back