Headlights in Europe (1 Viewer)

Feb 4, 2016
uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
10 years
Can anyone offer advice for adjusting headlights on a Rollerteam Pegaso 740 motorhome please for European travel.

OP
OP
Decker
Feb 4, 2016
uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
10 years
Not worth the hassle, imho, just put a couple of beam deflectors on.

Thanks for your reply.....could you be more specific please?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@Decker
Halfords stock beam deflectors.

They stick on the headlight glass to prevent oncoming motorists being dazzled. They come with diagrams to show how and where to place them.

About £6.99 last time I bought some.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Or, if your unit has adjustable (up and down) headlights, point them downwards and you'll find no one is dazzled.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
@Decker it might be possible to adjust the dip on your lights by rotating the unit or moving a lever, if you can get to the back you might find it easy, if you can't get to it @obanvanman 's suggestion could well be the one to go with.

Martin

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
Thanks for your reply.....could you be more specific please?
Sorry, should have explained.
We are spending a couple of years, or more, touring Europe in an A class. I thought I had adjusted them correctly for driving abroad and the first time I had to use them was when I landed on Sicily in the dark...and couldn't see a bloody thing.:crying: ( Really handy in unlit tunnels ).
When we returned to the UK for the mot I then had to pay for them to be put back correctly.
Hence.....Leave the damned things alone and spend a few quid on a couple of deflectors

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
If its for that long then if they dont have a lever to make them flat top , I would be looking at buying a couple of LHD units to fit (new or salvage).Having deflectors on for that long will affect the "glass" , and doesnt help get you the best beam to drive behind. JMHO

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
@Decker a photo of the back of your light unit "dip" if you have separate dip and main.

Martin

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Looking at pics of the van it has a cusom Roller team light assembly so it will probably have standard Hella projector lamps fitted if so these are adjustable for flat dipping. There are 2 type the Classic which will require 3 screws loosing on the the back and the lamp rotating a few degrees or the later type that have a lever that you move.

OP
OP
Decker
Feb 4, 2016
uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
10 years
Hi all
Thanks for your replies.
I was hoping someone with direct knowledge of the pegaso 740 would have come along by now.
Reflectors would be fine but the model is not listed in the instructions and I would not want to make any adjustment to the units.
Maybe someone could post a photo for me as I suspect few people who have replied are familiar with the particular model.
The lights are small and round and I really do not know how to fit the reflectors.
Thanks
Decker

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Not sure if it helps, but my car has the fancy lights that you can adjust to point the other way when driving on the continent. One year whilst driving to Portugal, we got stopped in Spain. The policeman was insistent that I needed beam correctors stuck on the lights, despite me showing him the Spanish section of the owners manual, and pointing to the light on the dash!
In the end I gave up, set the lights to UK and stuck on a set of deflectors that I had in my Euro kit, he then let me go with a warning?????

adrkjr

Free Member
Jan 13, 2014
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome
Exp
2 years
Not sure, Yet! Due to pick up a new Pegaso in the next few weeks so will ask the question at handover.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi all
Thanks for your replies.
I was hoping someone with direct knowledge of the pegaso 740 would have come along by now.
Reflectors would be fine but the model is not listed in the instructions and I would not want to make any adjustment to the units.
Maybe someone could post a photo for me as I suspect few people who have replied are familiar with the particular model.
The lights are small and round and I really do not know how to fit the reflectors.
Thanks
Decker
I use stickers like these (there are cheaper suppliers online):
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/travel-accessories/car-headlamp-converters
The instructions cover our van but if yours isn't covered it isn't hard to find out where to put them. All you need is a wall and wait until it is dark. Point the MH at the wall and turn on dipped headlights. All these stickers do is block off the bit of light which angles upwards on the left hand side of each beam pattern so you just need to move the sticker around (with the sticky side still covered!) until you find the right spot. However, if you look in the instructions you will probably find examples of round headlights and these should give you an idea where to starting putting the sticker - it may be near the bottom not the top of the headlight.
When you come to remove them, turn the headlights on for ten minutes or so to warm and soften the adhesive.

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
An further consideration is how often will you be driving at night, since leaving the UK in mid July and covering 5000km I’ve not had the headlights on once, of course that may change as the dark nights come e around

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
An further consideration is how often will you be driving at night, since leaving the UK in mid July and covering 5000km I’ve not had the headlights on once, of course that may change as the dark nights come e around
You need them in tunnels (especially the Italian ones :)) and in bad weather but stickers are good enough I've found.

OP
OP
Decker
Feb 4, 2016
uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
10 years

Sure...I rarely travel at night but I am concerned about the tunnels and the Police.

OP
OP
Decker
Feb 4, 2016
uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
10 years
I use stickers like these (there are cheaper suppliers online):
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/travel-accessories/car-headlamp-converters
The instructions cover our van but if yours isn't covered it isn't hard to find out where to put them. All you need is a wall and wait until it is dark. Point the MH at the wall and turn on dipped headlights. All these stickers do is block off the bit of light which angles upwards on the left hand side of each beam pattern so you just need to move the sticker around (with the sticky side still covered!) until you find the right spot. However, if you look in the instructions you will probably find examples of round headlights and these should give you an idea where to starting putting the sticker - it may be near the bottom not the top of the headlight.
When you come to remove them, turn the headlights on for ten minutes or so to warm and soften the adhesive.
I have four little round lights.
Is it just the dipped beam that needs reflecting.?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hi all
I would not want to make any adjustment to the units.
Why not?
Easy job and once set to flat dipping legal in all countries including the UK, and if you want the left kick up for the UK just set them back when you return.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It is just the dip beam that need setting, have you had a look t the back of the light for any adjustment lever or is it by screws, what access is there.

Martin

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Been going to Europe since 2005 and have never bothered adjusting or sticking beam deflectors on - just go as i am, its very rare we drive in the dark but have never had any bother by just as it is.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Mine are that bad with stickers that when you do from main beam to dip, its like the went off altogether. Awful in the rain , we do a lot of miles in the dark, usually following someone with better lights than us.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
As Martín has said, just the dipped lights and it worth checking again a wall even if the instructions did cover your vehicle. This way you can ensure it is only the bit of light in the pattern which slopes up to the left. If you put the stickers in the wrong place you may not see much at all. :)

Dec 27, 2016
Lichfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi all
Thanks for your replies.
Thanks
Decker
Hi Decker, I have the same question regarding our new to us 2015 Knaus Sky 700. Have been looking at various forums to find the answer of where to put the eurolight sticker, ( don't want to do a permanent job as at the moment its only for a couple of weeks in the summer) thought I had it cracked when I noticed the list of vehicles, which didn't appear to have any A classes ( understandable as they are "kit cars" ) but does have Hymer listed and mine is very similar looking so was going to go with that but today I noticed a small round area in the bottom of the lense, is that to through the light up? Commonsense is telling me to go with Lenny's advise and find a wall at night time.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Bit of tape anywhere will do,,just needs to look legal..No one bothers entering the uk from abroad,,BUSBY.:xgrin::xgrin:

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
You can get the same masking effect with a bit of black insulating tape and a wall , even some of the professional trans euro trucks do it . I solved it by fitting a second set of LHD headlights , just flick a switch to change over ,and get good lighting :xThumb:

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Bit of tape anywhere will do,,just needs to look legal..No one bothers entering the uk from abroad,,BUSBY.:xgrin::xgrin:
Sad to say but @busby is correct. If it looks legal you are unlikely to be charged by Police.

However, European vehicles dip their lights straight ahead, not to one side, and don’t need correction in the U.K.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Mine are adjustable ,but for the odd time I drive in the dark which is rare I use a bit of black electrical on the offside h/light (passenger side ) just to drop the beam from blinding anyone coming towards and it works ok ,never had a problem to date .lol

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back