Headlight wot headlight? (1 Viewer)

Feb 18, 2017
North Lincs
Funster No
MH
Euramobil 720QB
Exp
Anyone know how to improve headlight power on rapido 9010df 09reg,mine are so bad,I've never seen owt like it

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
If the headlight power comes direct from the light switch it would be worth fitting a relay and powering the headlamps direct from the battery. I did this on my landrover before fitting led headlights and the difference was very noticeable especially when also changing the bulbs to Osram night breakers. I used a boomslang loom for the ease of fitting but it would not take long to make up one for the Rapido.
frontbs.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have the hella round lights on my Rapido and they are pants.
I recently replaced my land rover lights with brighter bulbs and it made a huge difference. I intend to do the same on the motor home but will get my garage to do it during the service due shortly as I don't have double jointed wrists.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If they are normal headlamp bulbs you could try LED replacements. Just done it on my bike and the difference is amazing. From a candle glow to welding arc.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Before you do anything check the state of your engine battery ... we had terrible headlights on one of our cars and even though the battery worked and the car started etc we found out that the it was only just coping and eventually failed (it was a NEW car) ... we'd tried changing the bulbs etc and it made no difference so before you pay out good money for them ... check the battery. Ours was replaced FOC and after that we could have used the car as a light-house!!!

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
IMHO, LED is definitely the way forward as they are a lot brighter than halogen and I will source a set for our Moho in due time as the halogens on our 2015 Rapido are good. Check how much voltage you are getting at the headlight with a multimeter you may be surprised to see only 10 - 11v if so then a head light loom would give the full voltage to the head light bulb. Here is a vid of LED's on my landrover which is the reason why I will be sourcing and fitting LED's to the Moho.

http://www.hella.com/MicroSite/soe/en/powersports/highlights/LED-Modul-90mm.html

http://www.hella.com/MicroSite/90mm-modules/index.html

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
IMHO, LED is definitely the way forward

I didn't like the way those LEDs lit up the trees, certain to dazzle oncoming badly.

There's a huge number of crap LEDs out there but not many good ones. Look at the Phillips as a guide, only £140 but shows how the real pros are doing it in terms of LED layout.

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
I didn't like the way those LEDs lit up the trees, certain to dazzle oncoming badly.

There's a huge number of crap LEDs out there but not many good ones. Look at the Phillips as a guide, only £140 but shows how the real pros are doing it in terms of LED layout.

That is a 28" lightbar which only comes on in highbeam and is separately switched. The start of the video is headlights only and the lightbar was for the land rover forum.

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
Only problem with LED headlamps is to pass an MOT the lamps have to be self leveling & have washers.

LED headlights do not require self levelers or a washing system for UK MOT, the landrover has neither and passes its MOT. They are required in the UK for HID retrofits and Bi Xenon.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Are you sure? The new car I am picking up next week has LED headlamps, but no washers.
AFAIK that only applies to 'true' Xenon (ie discharge) lights. It would appear to be yet another unenforceable Government knee-jerk reaction to a motoring innovation. The only possible check would be the MoT but it isn't checked at that time. If the dip beam shape checks out then the MoT requirement is satisfied no matter what the light source.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I put LED replacements in my RV but I think I will take them out before the MOT. The beam is very bright not that aimable. I don't get flashed but its best to have some factor 15 sunscreen on if you're headed my way.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
LED Headlamps were an option on the new van at €1200 I didn't bother.:)

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
If you didn't drive so fast you would not need them. As it is I can see quiet happily with the ones I have. Certainly would not consider spending vast sums of money on LED Bulbs. All you have to do is wait a year or so and they will be a fraction of the price. House bulbs were the same. LED Bulb supposed to last for ever £25 EACH you can now buy them for £4 each.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Nice to know i'm not on my own with crap headlights on my Rapido ,only good thing i tend not to drive the van in the dark.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Only problem with LED headlamps is to pass an MOT the lamps have to be self leveling & have washers.

Thought that was Zenons ?? Most LEDs are so bright the reflection off white road signs is truly blinding. Leave the dip late and they dazzle cars coming the other way. There was some questions over legality of putting LED bulbs in units not specifically designed for them.

Try Osram Nightbreaker bulbs they are very good ! Completely legal and sensible Re reflection blinding.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
If you didn't drive so fast you would not need them. As it is I can see quiet happily with the ones I have. Certainly would not consider spending vast sums of money on LED Bulbs. All you have to do is wait a year or so and they will be a fraction of the price. House bulbs were the same. LED Bulb supposed to last for ever £25 EACH you can now buy them for £4 each.
What rubbish ! Safe driving is key as well as comfort. If s driver needs better or improved lighting and recognises it then to ignore the situation would be foolish. Why drive squinting and struggling when improvements are so easy ?

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Never mind, expense of LED`s. There are HUNDREDS out here with one light out and Don`t know, don`t realise or don`t care!. I do very little night driving these days, and even less in the Motor-home, preferring to be snuggled up with the Red Wine or Hobgoblin, before it ever gets dark!. The most "night" driving I have done of late was in the very early mornings (6am onwards)

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
bit of an old thread but hella now doing led units the same size as the halogen and xenon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back