Headlight variable beam motor (1 Viewer)

Sep 11, 2018
N Wales nr Chester
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay pvc
Exp
16yrs
2007 Citroen Relay
A strange problem - the nearside variable height dipped/main beam motor runs all the time when the lights are switched on, I can remove the fuse (F13) out of the fuse box, it solves that part of the problem except this results in the nearside lights not working !
Having investigated the head light unit there is absolutely NO way to gain access to this little motor, from the headlight wiring loom there are 3 wires which appear to go to this motor unit, ( red,black & blue) -
- has anyone come across this problem & how did you solve it ?
I've not got a comprehensive wiring diagram so don't know which of the wires to disconnect, my instinct is red but like a bomb fuse I don't want to cut the wrong wire - (not that I expect a bang but it could lead to further problems.

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
i had a problem with mine i think the adjuster had broken, I was having canbus problems with that sides and sidelight after trying new bulbs etc i noticed the motor running I put a new headlight unit in and all was good, i had previously noticed that sides headlight aim was very high and adjusted it I think it might have gone off end of adjustment, probably best to remove the headlight unit and look at adjuster mechanism

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
removing the fuse will put a different resistance in the circuit for the sidelights and the canbus turns it off

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Vikdikdok
Sep 11, 2018
N Wales nr Chester
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay pvc
Exp
16yrs
Hmm . . . Beam horizontal & vertical seems to be ok, I've taken the headlight unit off but no way to get at any of the (sealed) inside, looking at it my one option is to cut one (or more) of the 3 wires leading to the adjustment motor ?

Jul 10, 2018
Worcester(U.K)
Funster No
MH
Tamar Ducato160multi
Exp
Update on the headlamp assy, this morning I removed the assy and used a hot air blower (approx 200 degreees celcius) to dry out the lamp housing which was sucessful I then checked that the plug from the main harness could not be reversed (put on wrong way round) it could not.
After re assembling it back onto the van the same fault exists, with the lights on dipped beam, the LH lamp adjuster motor is running all of the time irrespective to the switch position on the dash (the RH one obeys the switch position) I think I have no option but to either replace the lamp assy, snip the wire to the actuator or to take it into the local Fiat truck and van garage, not sure if I am happy to bodge the lamp assy by cutting the wire as there may be deeper issues.

If anyone has had a similar problem with the X250 base vehicle I would appreciate some help.

Thanks R

Appears solution is to replace complete unit, ouch! Try drying with a hair dryer first, water short will create similar fault.

Good luck

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018
Worcester(U.K)
Funster No
MH
Tamar Ducato160multi
Exp
Headlight unit for Fiat Ducato X250 or similar Peugeot/Citroen.

UK nearside.

Working order except the levelling motor runs when ignition is on but doesn't affect the lights. Quick fix - cut the wire.

10 Pounds- Cash on collection Stockport.

Similar problem
Goodluck

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
The headlight I had trouble with was damp inside I dried it but I think adjuster had gone too far and fallen off the end

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Had a problem with my adjuster on our previous can bus model
The plastic axle breaks due to downward pressure when rotating it!
It's a three wire connector on the back.
If you disconnect it then the headlights go to the down position and will be an mot problem but at least the motor should not drive
Mike

Jan 7, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Vintage
Exp
If this is just an adjuster, and the lights are still positioned / aligned correctly you don't have to fix it - It is a Major MOT failure for either "Headlamp levelling device inoperative" or "Manual levelling device cannot be operated from the driver’s seat", but just check your testing station is up to date, mine wasn't!. There was an addendum last year to include the crucial line - "The check of headlamp levelling devices does not apply to motor caravans. " https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-ins...ectors-and-electrical-equipment#section-4-1-5

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Tnx for that. It was an mot problem last year so I tried to repair the plastic axle but in the end replaced the adjustrr (£35).
You could now overcome it by adjusting the beams the old fashioned way and leaving them there
Anyway the problem for this thread sees to be dampness in the headlight unit which could be a lot more expensive
Mike

OP
OP
Vikdikdok
Sep 11, 2018
N Wales nr Chester
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay pvc
Exp
16yrs
My problem solved !
I traced the wires from the loom to the levelling motor - 3 wires:red,black & blue, so with my fingers in my ears & wire cutter I snipped the blue - lights still work ok & motor now dead !
(Why the blue wire ? - I hate the colour blue

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
My problem solved !
I traced the wires from the loom to the levelling motor - 3 wires:red,black & blue, so with my fingers in my ears & wire cutter I snipped the blue - lights still work ok & motor now dead !
(Why the blue wire ? - I hate the colour blue
I've said before 'red to red, black to black and blue to bits' you were lucky.

IanW

Free Member
Jan 18, 2019
Mudgee NSW Australia
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato 2010
Exp
Since 2009
I have the same problem with the motor running when headlights are on. Blue wire yes, if I do not get back to you ??? I have seen a similar movie and it did not go well.

OP
OP
Vikdikdok
Sep 11, 2018
N Wales nr Chester
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay pvc
Exp
16yrs
I have the same problem with the motor running when headlights are on. Blue wire yes, if I do not get back to you ??? I have seen a similar movie and it did not go well.

Well - are you still here ? Or ?

IanW

Free Member
Jan 18, 2019
Mudgee NSW Australia
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato 2010
Exp
Since 2009
I did not cut the blue wire, the fault is no longer apparent. So now I will wait. Thank you for the advice.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back