Headlight deflectors (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
Hi -this may be a stupid question however I can agree with that if I'm declared to be stupid!
We are about to make our first trip to France and I am fitting "stick on" headlight deflectors which I'm advised are required there.
My question is then---Do they need to be removed to comply,on our return to the UK?
Look forward to your kind advice
Ian

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
I've left mine on Ian, never had a problem. (y)
Enjoy your trip to France (y)(y)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Hi -this may be a stupid question however I can agree with that if I'm declared to be stupid!
We are about to make our first trip to France and I am fitting "stick on" headlight deflectors which I'm advised are required there.
My question is then---Do they need to be removed to comply,on our return to the UK?
Look forward to your kind advice
Ian
No they don't have to be removed to comply with our law and/or MOT. If you are considering regulat trips abroad, consider EGR headlight protector. It also has a place to fit the supplied blanking part (probably a proper name) so that you are totally legal in Europe and UK. Once put into place, the black blank square sticks on the headlight protector rather than the headlight itself and the added bonus is that your headlights are protected from things that can hit them (stones, chippings etc). I thought about it around 10 years ago and except for taking them off once a year to clean the inside, they stay in place and legal wherever I drive.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I've always left mine on - except once last year and the van failed the MoT because I've got one LHD headlamp unit! Solution? Refit the deflectors and it passed!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
If you dont intend to drive at night, dont bother.
Excellent idea theoretically but reality may be quite different. It's extremely rare that I have ever travelled at night and it's usually because of something outside my control. So, you just happen to have a malfunction with your moho or a flat and whilst in all the best intentions you planned every trip only daylight but something happens, do you want to have it on your mind that you're possibly also going to drive at night.
At the cost of the deflectors, it's worth having a set even if you don't fit them unless you need to.
I bought mine as a protection for expensive headlights in case the worst happens and the deflector ability was a great bonus

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I buy job lots of 10 stick on pairs on eBay, fit them in the outbound ferry queue at Dover and remove them in the return ferry queue at Calais. Simples.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Like others, I leave mine on and passed the M.O.T. As for migrating gum, it is unlikely to be a problem, for stone chips are gradually wearing the black patch away. As for the plastic headlamp protectors... I was a slow learner and had to buy a new headlamp before fitting them. One of them also got stone damage but I managed to replace it at a motorhome show from end of seasons stock, otherwise they are not cheap.

Muddibootz

Free Member
Jan 4, 2016
North Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
since 1994
I tend to leave mine on but mainly because I forget. Passed plenty of MOTs too. To be honest, I'mnot sure how accurately they're fitted but hopefully it's the thought that counts for the Gernarmerie :)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Do the headlight on a Hymer A class have the flat beam eurolights or can they be changed left to right dip. I ask as the handbook does not say and they seem the same as the ones on LHD vans I do not know if UK spec just means they are specials or just flicked flat with a lever?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Like others, I leave mine on and passed the M.O.T. As for migrating gum, it is unlikely to be a problem, for stone chips are gradually wearing the black patch away. As for the plastic headlamp protectors... I was a slow learner and had to buy a new headlamp before fitting them. One of them also got stone damage but I managed to replace it at a motorhome show from end of seasons stock, otherwise they are not cheap.
So @rosalan, you would recommend headlamp protectors then?

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We have left ours on too and passed an MOT. Have fun both of you and keep us updated.

Aug 10, 2008
Hawes, UK
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
The last owner of my Ducato based MOTORHOME left them on and it knackered the headlamp unit, take them off as soon as you are back is my advise or buy the clip on covers and leave them on them, like I have

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Do the headlight on a Hymer A class have the flat beam eurolights or can they be changed left to right dip. I ask as the handbook does not say and they seem the same as the ones on LHD vans I do not know if UK spec just means they are specials or just flicked flat with a lever?
They are Hella projector lamps, RHD ones can be changed from left kick up (UK spec) to flat dipping for continental use, LHD can be changed from right kick up to flat dipping for use in the UK. LHD set to flat dipping is acceptable to the VCA for registration under the Mutal Recognition system.

OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
We have left ours on too and passed an MOT. Have fun both of you and keep us updated.
Will do Sandra leaving on 5 September
Ian

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
AFAIK you are supposed to have gender benders, if necessary, in place here (and small islands off the coast) even if not driving at night. Though I suspect that no-one really cares.

My car or MH would not get through a CT (French MoT) with benders in place.

DigglyDog

Free Member
Jan 25, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 620 SE
Exp
If you dont intend to drive at night, dont bother.
Also don't drive through any tunnels...
I had clip on protectors with the beam deflectors fitted, and managed to lose one on the motorway in Italy, so back to the old sticky tape...

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
The last owner of my Ducato based MOTORHOME left them on and it knackered the headlamp unit, take them off as soon as you are back is my advise or buy the clip on covers and leave them on them, like I have
I know people leave the stick on ones on but if you never use your lights, I daresay they'll be alright but if you put your lights on at anytime, they will seer into the headlight glass and you end up with what @mowbotman said. I appreciate that the clip on protectors are not cheap but except for once a year removal for cleaning, you can forget them safe in the knowledge that your a) headlights are protected, b) you're legal to drive at night or when lights are required and c) the black sticky bitbis adhered to the protector not your headlight.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We've got a new Ducato X290-based PVC and I was pleased to find the headlight protectors just clip on and off really easily - only need to lift the bonnet. Much quicker and more convenient than the faffing about necessary with the previous X250 ones.

All marked up ready for putting the black masking tape in place.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My Rapido Aclass has flat dipping suitable for UK or Continent, but the headlights are so feeble I don't think they could dazzle anyone anyway. I don't drive the MH at night as I prefer to see where I'm going.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
My Rapido Aclass has flat dipping suitable for UK or Continent, but the headlights are so feeble I don't think they could dazzle anyone anyway. I don't drive the MH at night as I prefer to see where I'm going.
That's a brilliant view but bad weather especially in the UK can catch us out. Too many variables to give 100% guarantee that you won't drive at night or inclement weather or in fact on a spot check. Lights fitted have to be working and comply with the law.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
That's a brilliant view but bad weather especially in the UK can catch us out. Too many variables to give 100% guarantee that you won't drive at night or inclement weather or in fact on a spot check. Lights fitted have to be working and comply with the law.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back