Headlight Beam Deflectors for Continental Driving (1 Viewer)

Oct 31, 2012
here there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650
Exp
Since December 2012
Hello all,
When I used to travel to the Continent by car a few years ago, the car headlamps were made of glass, and had dedicated areas which were marked out, where to place the headlamp beam deflector strips. Nowadays, it seems, the headlamps are made of Plastic, and I can not see any specific area where the strips are supposed to be placed, especially on my 2010 Reg Peugeot Boxer Elddis M/H. I did read the instructions supplied with the Deflector strips, ( which were bought from Peugeot !!) but the instructions are very vague. Also it stated that you should switch your headlights on while doing this , and mark the area on a wall, or garage door. The trouble is, that I can only just get my M/H onto my Drive, with about a foot clearance from the garage door, so find this task almost impossible to complete. Any advice would be gratefully received. By the way, do any or all, do this task??? I know it states in all the Continental Driving Info that this should be done, but wonder how many people actually do this. I have meet people coming across over here from the Continent who have not bothered. What are your thoughts on this ? Many thanks. BillyS

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
One solution would be to buy headlamp protectors which come with the required beam deflectors for you to stick on once in place.
We had to buy a set for our oldish Kia Sorento when we pulled a caravan and now we're about to take delivery of a Fiat Ducato based Swift we've had to do the same.

Got them here:

Link Removed

They already have the Peugeot logo sticker on the them, we've been given Fiat replacement stickers!
If your motorhome is an X250 model then it should fit.
Sound complicated and expensive but that's the best solution we found. Many on here would say not to bother, they may well be right but I was happier doing it this way. There is a youtube video of how to fix them as well.

smiffy502000

Free Member
Aug 5, 2012
sutton coldfield
Funster No
MH
coach built.
Exp
since 2008
hi billy, I like you cant get my head around where to stick the dam things,and if truth be known, not many of us do. I just line em up so they look the biz.. I doubt they would ever be tested if you were pulled up. so just slap em on and plead insanity if you get pulled :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I never use deflectors.

I lived in France for 10 years running a UK car and motorbike over there. Had many random stops over the years by Police and Gendarmerie, document checks etc, never once asked about my headlights which had no deflectors or masking.

I have just done almost 4000 miles round Europe in the van in the last few weeks, no deflectors, (same headlights as yours), not a problem, to be fair not much nightime driving.

Take a look on the ferry or the tunnel, all the continental trucks, cars etc coming into UK. Do you see any deflectors on them?

If you are concerned, you can always lower your headlights on the levelling switch on the dash......:thumb:

Be careful what you use on your plastic headlights, (adhesives etc), they are very easily damaged.

Headlight deflectors, another rip off, especially by ferry companies etc.......

Have FUN......:Cool:

::bigsmile:

Have FUN.........:thumb:

::bigsmile:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I have headlamp protectors as above and they have an area marked that I cover with black tape, works fine. I see you were in the Merch, so was I, what company?

Rgds
Bill

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
The deflectors from Halfords have pretty clear diagrams for where to attach them :thumb:
Mike

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I've damaged the plastic film over my lenses by using deflectors - possibly made worse by using rubber glue on one occasion as the deflectors were falling off and I needed to drive at night.

We had 3 weeks in France this summer before I realised that I had not applied any deflectors - I hadn't done much if any night driving and didn't for the rest of the trip so didn't put them on. They were available though if I was pulled over or decided to drive at night.

biggsy

Free Member
Apr 1, 2012
Hull
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Like others here, we've just completed 4000 miles around Scandinavia, where headlights are compulsory at all times. Did not use beam deflectors, but simply lowered the headlight beams. I had no instances of people flashing or otherwise demonstrating that I was blinding them. No police problems either. You will probably get away without them.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I never use them.

The French police aren't interested.

My brother had a crash in France last month involving 3 cars.

There were police everywhere. No one looked at his headlights.

It's a con as has been said.

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
When we had the Elnagh on a Boxer chassis we also bought healight protectors with the little markings on for where to put the deflectors lime others mentioned we were just happier doing so

Have fun::bigsmile:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Hello all,
When I used to travel to the Continent by car a few years ago, the car headlamps were made of glass, and had dedicated areas which were marked out, where to place the headlamp beam deflector strips. Nowadays, it seems, the headlamps are made of Plastic, and I can not see any specific area where the strips are supposed to be placed, especially on my 2010 Reg Peugeot Boxer Elddis M/H. I did read the instructions supplied with the Deflector strips, ( which were bought from Peugeot !!) but the instructions are very vague. Also it stated that you should switch your headlights on while doing this , and mark the area on a wall, or garage door. The trouble is, that I can only just get my M/H onto my Drive, with about a foot clearance from the garage door, so find this task almost impossible to complete. Any advice would be gratefully received. By the way, do any or all, do this task??? I know it states in all the Continental Driving Info that this should be done, but wonder how many people actually do this. I have meet people coming across over here from the Continent who have not bothered. What are your thoughts on this ? Many thanks. BillyS
Perhaps on a car they are/maybe needed because you may drive during the hours of darkness, however in a MH 99% of the time you drive during the day arrived at your stop point around mid afternoon and park up.
Waste of money and time on a MH.

OP
OP
BillyS
Oct 31, 2012
here there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650
Exp
Since December 2012
Headlamp Beam Deflectors

As I will be arriving at my first Destination in Germany, somewhere between 10-11 pm, driving through some villages, on small roads, I thought it might be wise to purchase some Headlamp Beam Deflectors, and have ordered some from Flea Bay. There is a chance that I may also do some night driving between different destinations. BillyS

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Like others here, we've just completed 4000 miles around Scandinavia, where headlights are compulsory at all times. Did not use beam deflectors, but simply lowered the headlight beams. I had no instances of people flashing or otherwise demonstrating that I was blinding them. No police problems either. You will probably get away without them.

I would have a few backups ready as arriving at that time of night they may well be full....

Enjoy

Apr 19, 2017
Newark
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coach built
Exp
Since 1993
Just as a point of interest for anyone still having trouble with issue, and to put minds at rest. A friend of mine has just taken his Saab 93 Aero cabriolet to Spain, he is going to leave it there so is required to reregister. Apart from the ludicrously high quotes for acquiring a ITV ( Spanish MOT) we discovered that on his vehicle, there is a switch behind the headlights that flattens the beam for Europe. But from 2003 onwards the kick up is already flattened on U.K. Vehicles, so if you lower your beam adjustment no problem. We have travelled in France, Spain, Italy Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany travelling some 16000 miles without a problem, and when checked against a wall compaired to an older vehicle the difference although subtle is obvious. Oh and quotes for a Spanish ITV were between €1500 and €2000!

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
A Spanish ITV is 59 euro's (for my Yaris), so I think you mean that to have it registered is what you are quoting, which is way to high.
Get your friend to have a look in the local Brit papers and there are loads of people who will do it for you/him. When I had ours done back in 2011 total cost was 400 euros for paperwork, ITV and taxes. As for beam deflectors I think you will find that if your friend is leaving car in Spain and registering it as Spanish then he will have to replace the lights as they will fail it on the ITV if it has Spanish plates.
The rules in Spain for the ITV is/are a mine field, so again get your friend to ask the "local" Brits where they have their car ITV'd as it changes from region to region.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Why take the risk................... because "no one bothers"................ and as I said on post above 99% of the MH's are parked up before it's dark and therefore would not be using their lights.
I know it's not right, but there it is.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I've never really checked on my motorhomes but don't their headlights just dip flat like they do on many modern bikes rather than to one side? If so there is no need for stick ons.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back